Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raindrops keep falling on on my helmet? [South Island in Jan]

Bike
    2003 Honda CBR 954

Raindrops keep falling on on my helmet? [South Island in Jan]

Hello everybody,

There is some chance that I'll be in NZ next jan, for about a month. My present plan is to spend about a week for trekking, than rent a bike in Christchurch and to go up to the North Island. Of course I am gathering more info to plan carefully all the details for several months, but there are some questions still opened.

The reports I read confused me, because it is always necessary to filter the content according to the writer's background, and doing that is not always easy. At first, with some haughtiness I gave no importance to the complaints of *some* reports by Italians about rainfall, since Italy is getting dry and dry year after year, and rainfall is poor on average. But I downloaded NZ rainfall charts and discovered that in S.I. rainfall in the driest zones is abundant in any case and, even worse, a friend of mine who is a biker and visited NZ told me that if he were me he would never attempt to roam by bike in south island during the period I'll be there -in fact he preferred to rent a car.

His words were more or less as a sad verdict for me . My concern is that I have no way to get my own opinion. An inhabitant of west side of S.I. should be used to extreme rainfall and that he considers to be normal would be a nightmare for me.

So, what could I do? Do I resign and rent a car for S.I. leaving bike tour for the N.I. or it is still possible to enjoy the S.I. by bike? I have no problems driving when raining, I always made my tours with backpack and tent, and believe to be easy-fitting. I know that I'll meet rain while roaming. But even if I'd like to move to NZ it is possible that this one will be my only visit of NZ. I'd like to come back home with a good feeling and satisfied to have enjoyed the places.

Any advice is most welcome!

Cheers

Apx.
    "... That's the last potato I'll ever dig" (E. Rutherford)

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Just do it. Weather can be wet sometimes, you just have to chance it, carry some good wet weather gear. It is too good a chance to miss out on an awesome experience. Done it many times and never got wet at that time of year.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about ...

And don't go to the north island ... the better rides are in the SOUTH island ... and the north island is full of dodgy buggers ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    The west coast of the South Island is the wettest area in New Zealand, and Central to Eastern South Island are the driest areas. The west coast doesn't really get that many more rain days, but when it does rain the orographic effect means that the rain is heavy. The west of the North Island has just as many wet days, but the rain isn't as heavy. However in late January there is the least chance of rain anywhere in the South Island.

New Zealand is a long narrow country that intercepts the westerly weather, so rain is possible anywhere and any time. Dry weather is more likely. Here in Central Otago we get only 350 mm of rain per year, On the east coast it is around 900 mm per year. The west coast can be 4000 - 6000 mm per year, but with only a few more rain days.
    Time to ride

Bike
    2012 Triumph Thunderbird
    The North island is usually good for fine weather in Jan and Feb, having toured the SI by bike I agree that it is a bike riders dream but having said that
    we have some really great roads/rides up here in the North too on both East and West Coasts . For one example of many rides.
    The ride up to Cape Reinga and surrounding areas are supberb riding with majestic scenic views to be enjoyed. For comprehensive information on routes,
    Suggest you get the 2nd edition of " Hema Maps New zealand Motorcycle Atlas " which lays out all the details and maps and road types that are important to rider touring, eg; major roads sealed , minor sealed, gravel types etc. Also Camping Areas , Dpt. of Conservation Campsite facilities all completely indexed.

Bike
    A few
    Harden up !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    January is mid summer, so the most likely time to get good weather for motorcycling.

There is more chance of rain on the west coast of the south island at any time of the year, but if you are not fixed on your route then you can ride where the weather is good, and weather forecasting a few days ahead is usually accurate enough to plan from. A lot of the time it will be fine on one side of the south island and good weather on the other.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    January is mid summer, so the most likely time to get good weather for motorcycling.

There is more chance of rain on the west coast of the south island at any time of the year, but if you are not fixed on your route then you can ride where the weather is good, and weather forecasting a few days ahead is usually accurate enough to plan from. A lot of the time it will be fine on one side of the south island and good weather on the other.
    Not last summer, I felt we got ripped off, rained a stupid amount. Could be that I worked that summer inside a stupid office and whenever I got a change eg weekends it would rain, better be different this year, I have time off!

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    The west coast of the South Island is the wettest area in New Zealand
    I guess that explains the high amount of the area in Rain forest ...

and Central to Eastern South Island are the driest areas.
    And NO Rain forests ...

The west coast doesn't really get that many more rain days, but when it does rain the orographic effect means that the rain is heavy.
    The rain isn't just heavy ... it fucking pisses down ...

The west of the North Island has just as many wet days, but the rain isn't as heavy. However in late January there is the least chance of rain anywhere in the South Island.
    But they still moan about the amount of rain they get ...

New Zealand is a long narrow country that intercepts the westerly weather, so rain is possible anywhere and any time. Dry weather is more likely.
    So ... wherever you ride in New Zealand ... have wet weather gear with you ... (just in case)

Here in Central Otago we get only 350 mm of rain per year, On the east coast it is around 900 mm per year.
    Mostly at night/evenings though ..

The west coast can be 4000 - 6000 mm per year, but with only a few more rain days.
    The only part of NZ that measure rainfall in Meters ... (Milford sound's average annual rainfall is 11 meters)

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    End of Jan and the start of Feb are from my experience the calmest, hottest part of the year.
    Depending on where you plan on visiting Blenhiem, Canterbury, Otago and Central Otago get hot, really hot.
    Central Otago is an arid climate and can get into the high 30's (degree's celsius) and hardly ever rains during summer.

Bike
    dei imperiale donna
    Yep - it can rain no matter where you go. Last January I rode the South, and not a drop to be seen. Was sheer magic and you must ride these roads, they are much sweeter then the Northern roads, with stunning scenery, and friendly locals. I can recommend a stop at the Fox Glacier Inn. They even let us park our bikes in the bar overnight so the cheeky Keas wouldnt eat them!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
    Yep - it can rain no matter where you go. Last January I rode the South, and not a drop to be seen. Was sheer magic and you must ride these roads, they are much sweeter then the Northern roads, with stunning scenery, and friendly locals. I can recommend a stop at the Fox Glacier Inn. They even let us park our bikes in the bar overnight so the cheeky Keas wouldnt eat them!
    Just dont mention all the traffic/cops/poor roads .... otherwise some may see the south island as paradise ... and everyone will want to come down here ...

Bike
    '03 FXD
    If you hire a car to travel the South Island and are a biker you will hate yourself for life.
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    RainIf rain scares you best you stay home,ever tried driving through an earthquakeyep we get them to.Forget what your friend says rent the bike,map out your trip and have a ball.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    2008 Suzuki DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    Harden up !
    What he said. It's great riding in the rain makes the beer at the end of the day all the better

Thread Information