Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gearing calculations--a lil brain teaser.

Bike
    Honda PC800

gearing calculations--a lil brain teaser.

A bike is running 15/47 gearing as standard.
    The owner has access to 46 and 45 tooth rear sprockets and 14 and 16 tooth fronts.
    To gear the bike up by 4%-or closest to it which combination of sprockets would YOU suggest??
    Likewise to gear the bike DOWN by 5% what would you do
    A lil test of KB brains
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    I've been think about getting sky for a while now...but I'm still undecided...I wanna see the superbike races but really theres not much more that would interest me I don't think.
    so I'm still pondering...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY
    The owner has access to 46 and 45 tooth rear sprockets and 14 and 16 tooth fronts.
    To gear the bike up by 4%-or closest to it which combination of sprockets would YOU suggest??
    A lil test of KB brains
    Original ratio = 0.319

To gear up by 4% 15/45 Ratio = 0.333

To gear down 5% 14/46 Ratio = 0.304
    Time to ride

Bike
    Honda PC800
    aww jant--spoil my fun
    Ok calculate all variables with sprockets available then
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    In between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar
    Original ratio = 0.319
    To gear up by 4% 15/45 Ratio = 0.333
    To gear down 5% 14/46 Ratio = 0.304
    Second that.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    In between bikes
    Ok calculate all variables with sprockets available then
    14/45 Ratio = 0.311 -2.519%
    14/46 Ratio = 0.304 -4.638%
    14/47 Ratio = 0.298 -6.667%

15/45 Ratio = 0.333 4.444%
    15/46 Ratio = 0.326 2.174%
    15/47 Ratio = 0.319 Original

16/45 Ratio = 0.356 11.407%
    16/46 Ratio = 0.348 8.986%
    16/47 Ratio = 0.340 6.667%

Percentages are a change over/under original.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    Various
    So you have worked out the ratio using the number of teeth.

NOT arguing, however when I did the my CBTA at Ride Rite the guy taking it stated that this was incorrect. He stated that that approach was an approximation. He said that the correct way was as a ratio of the radius of the sprockets.

Just put it forward it as a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Never mind the calculations - 15T is about the limits of how small you want to go on a front sprocket for a 525 or 530 chain, at least. The smaller the sprocket, the more stress on the chain having to change direction traversing it. Yes, front sprockets are cheaper, but (a) rear sprocket changes give you smaller graduations of gearing changes, and (b) a larger rear sprocket is easier on your chain (and probably robs less power) than a smaller front sprocket.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN

NOT arguing, however when I did the my CBTA at Ride Rite the guy taking it stated that this was incorrect. He stated that that approach was an approximation. He said that the correct way was as a ratio of the radius of the sprockets.
    True, but it's not much of an approximation, so it's close enough, and easier to measure.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    None :(

Actually, its dead on. If the front sprocket turns one tooth, the rear sprocket turns one tooth - chain don't slip (if they do, you're in the shit). The amount it turns is determined angular distance between each tooth, which can be directly determined by the number of teeth.

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    A lil test of KB brains
    First of all it depends on the internal gearing of the bike, the rpm its going to run on average, whether acceleration is desired over speed and the driving force (power being applied to the rear wheel).

You cant just knock up a sprocket change (of +/- 5%) and expect it to solve the problem, the tradeoffs being given away may end up being bigger penalties than the benifit that is being expected.

What is the bike and scenario you are trying to solve the gearing for ?
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    Various
    Just changed the YZF750 from 15/41 to 15/47.
    Pretty wicked.
    5500 at 100kph in top so should topout at about 235kph (assuming redline), awesome pickup in any gear and great for wheelies and burnouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor

I suspect he is using pitch circle diameter. I think tho, that given a certain chain type, the PCD can be worked out by the number of teeth on the sprocket.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman
    Never mind the calculations - 15T is about the limits of how small you want to go on a front sprocket for a 525 or 530 chain, at least. The smaller the sprocket, the more stress on the chain having to change direction traversing it. Yes, front sprockets are cheaper, but (a) rear sprocket changes give you smaller graduations of gearing changes, and (b) a larger rear sprocket is easier on your chain (and probably robs less power) than a smaller front sprocket.
    My bike came standard with 15/41, which was OK on the road but way too high off road. I now run a 45 on the rear all the time and vary the front between 13, 14, 15 depending on the riding I want to do. 13/45 is great off road, gives me good engine revs at low low speeds and close gear ratios, but top speed suffers a lot on the road. 15/45 gives me good road speeds, and wider gear ratios which is fine on the road, but low speed off road suffers. 14/45 is a compromise between the two. I regurlary change the front sprocket, it's only a 10 minute job.

Also the chain is 525. The 14 & 15 sprockets are 525. The 13 & 45 sprockets are 520. You can run a 525 chain on 520 sprockets with no problem as the only difference is chain width, and in fact it helps to clear mud from the chain & sprockets.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    MT09 Tracer

Gear ratio's

Remembering back to my cycling days - by multiplying the number of teeth on the front sprocket by the diameter of the rear tyre (rolling diameter) then divide that by the number of teeth on the rear sprocket will give you the distance covered by the bike per revolution of the front sprocket. Hence by knowing the final drive ratio of the gearbox in any gear the top speed of any gear can be calculated at redline. How good is my memory?
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow aren’t just the 4 cycles of an engine

Thread Information