Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about turbo

Bike
    GSXR600K3 - Alstare

Thinking about turbo

Now i have a GSXR600 K3 and am thinking of a long term plan to Turbo it.

Now:
    1. Has anyone does this?
    2. Any idea the cost involved?
    3. Do you think it a good/bad idea?

All comments will be appreciated.
    Those who dont learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    had a few beers over this one with my mate who has built many a turbo setup for cars... basically he said in essence it sounds and looks easy at first, to get one going isnt *that* hard... but to get it working properly and responding/delivering power in the right place will take much more time and money than its worth... unless of course you have lots of time and money.

General cost for a turbo setup on a bike 600cc+ seems to between 5-10k based on what the guys in the US are doing.

Advice i got from both bike mechanics and turbo installers was supercharge it (better for smaller engines) or just get nitrous, either way you will get instant HP a good kick in the pants.
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    it works. it's been done. you can buy the kit off the shelf.
    hell, it ain't that hard to fabricate it..

and I've looked at a turbo for my bike, and it looked like I do most of it for under a grand.. hell, it's only a turbo..

Bike
    Honda PC800
    If you lot are serious about turbo then Gimme a yell--a mate of mine is a turbo guru
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    1996 ZZR 1100 D4,
    Actually Frosty, i wouldn't mind having a chat with your mate, I've got a 1996 ZZR1100 approaching 100,000km and wouldn't mind turning it into something special.
    Cost wise.....well we'll cross that bridge when the time comes. Looking at the replies on this thread it looks like costs vary.
    I've thought about doing this in the past; i've seen twin turbo ZZR's in japan....absolutly mind blowing.
    Be interested to see what other KB'ers have to say as well
    Thanks
    9 down 26 to go

Bike
    from what I've discovered so far, if you've got a light pressure turbo, like a Garrett T20, you don't need things like an additional intercooler.

Get a custom header down to a second hand decent turbo, find an oil line to tap into and back, make an airtight custom airbox, few more tweaks, set the carbs to adapt, and you're not far off your own turbo bike..

I've got a few links at work, I'll post them up tomorrow. But it pays to get someone who knows what they're talking about (unlike me, just talkin crap) cos you don't want to blow shit up..
    oh, and upgrade some other bits like head gaskets and seals.
    Bigger turbo? then you're lookin at more compression adjustment and expensive stuff like that..

Bike
    GSXR600K3 - Alstare
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    it works. it's been done. you can buy the kit off the shelf.
    hell, it ain't that hard to fabricate it..

and I've looked at a turbo for my bike, and it looked like I do most of it for under a grand.. hell, it's only a turbo..
    What companies have these off the shelf kits, wouldnt mind having a look on the net at them if possible.

Bike
    the link is at work. I'll post it up tomorrow

Bike
    GSXR600K3 - Alstare
    Sweet as sounds great, my bike also fuel injected so probably bit more cost in that.

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS

Bike
    Ducati 900ss The Guido Torpedo
    Turbo, OMG that'll kill Kenny! Dude if ya pull it off I'd love to see it. More power to ya.
    Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire. -Samuel Johnson

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenier
    Now i have a GSXR600 K3 and am thinking of a long term plan to Turbo it.

Now:
    1. Has anyone does this?
    2. Any idea the cost involved?
    3. Do you think it a good/bad idea?

All comments will be appreciated.

DON'T THINK ... JUST DO IT!!!

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    Ducati 996 '01, Yamaha '04 R6 Race
    theres a vid floating around the net of a guy with a 6hundy turboed..........wheeelies for africa
    If you are really serious get that Aussie mag with the modified bikes...Moto or something (I think they changed the name....)
    It has a guy called Jamie Bezzina who's turboed everything and a legend and they often have question/answers with him as well as an article he writes.
    He wrote of a CBR250RR he did with 100hp
    Give him a call, think he's in melbourne. Im sure he'd send a kit over
    Viva La Figa

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Ill have a word to the guy and post his contact details up here
    To give you guys an idea --He built and tested the k5 gixxer thou turbo --those of you out on the track day before last AMCC round would have seen a famous Kiwi road racer out there on it.
    He commented how smooth it was to ride.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Na,it's as easy as it sounds, You need a turbo, a powercommander,a boost sensor, prolly an electric oil scavenge pump, and some fabbing skills.
    Build some headers to position the turbo,fab up an intake box (to replace the airbox) run some pipes ( don't need an intercooler) find an oil pressure line and connect it to the turbo, put the scavenge under the engine to return the oil from the turbo to the engine (it must go into the engine above the oil level) and lastly hook the powercommander to the boost sensor instead of the throttle sensor (the boost sensor will need a similar range to the throttle sensor) then map it to remap the mixtures under boost. Easy. I'd personally reccomend water injection to help keep detonation under control, which can also be made up very easily.I'd also reccomend a bov too.
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Thread Information