Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VX800 - what were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by rogson
    Apparently one of the boutique european manufacturers (Sachs?), sold a sport version with the original headstock replaced with a steeper one.

All the same I like it - looooong and narrrrrow, and the 45 degree V-twin motor is a gem - lots of character.
    Thanks rogson,as well as an earlier version I was going to add Sachs did a similar one using the same motor.But I did a google search and came up with nothing about Sachs V twin....thought I had a senior moment there.So maybe I was right about the earlier version...it impressed me back then,I sat on it and thought the seating position suited me better than this newer one - but really,a change of bars is all they need for me....and tyres.

Dunno about 45 deg,I have something about their balance at work,I'll look it out tomorrow.I love the front facing exhausts and rear carbs - now that's a real V twin.

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    The 45 degree cylinder angle was compensated by crank-pins offset at 45 degrees to (technically) give perfect primary balance. They are supposed to be quite a smooth free-revving motor, if not a powerhouse.

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    katzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Dunno about 45 deg,I have something about their balance at work,I'll look it out tomorrow.I love the front facing exhausts and rear carbs - now that's a real V twin.
    The US models had a different crank-pin offset to the rest of the world. The Americans complained it didn't vibrate enough (not Harley enough), so their version had vibration deliberately designed into it.

Sounds like you've done your homework on this one rogson,if I ever want to know anything about a VX800 I'll ask you.

The website I had has disapeared - but it had several engine layouts as a moving picture and showing balance patterns.The Suzuki V twin was shown as being out of balance,the Honda's in balance - I always wondered why they did that when it would be so easy to give it perfect primary balance.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    The US models had a different crank-pin offset to the rest of the world. The Americans complained it didn't vibrate enough (not Harley enough), so their version had vibration deliberately designed into it.
    They also got lower rated CB900s Bol d'ors compared to the rest of the world too. Wonder why that was?

Bike
    Bonneville 900 ST 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Thanks rogson,as well as an earlier version I was going to add Sachs did a similar one using the same motor.But I did a google search and came up with nothing about Sachs V twin....thought I had a senior moment there.So maybe I was right about the earlier version...it impressed me back then,I sat on it and thought the seating position suited me better than this newer one - but really,a change of bars is all they need for me....and tyres.

You could be right about the Sachs Motu. Just looked up a UK site and found two v twin 800 models both limited edition but not in the latest brochure. Nice looking bikes

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Rog---bloody nice bike --I've owned two of em.
    to improve em I mucked around with fork springs and fork oil--waaay too soft in the front and got mr Bruin to stiffen up the rear shock a tadd.
    I think I slid the forks quite a long way through the front clamps too -up like 12mm.
    I hung the factory muffler on the wall and fitted one for a duke 900 (dunno which one) that gave it a bit of a bark
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by eliot-ness
    You could be right about the Sachs Motu. Just looked up a UK site and found two v twin 800 models both limited edition but not in the latest brochure. Nice looking bikes
    Suzukis offer looks more polished-
    http://bikez.com/motorcycles/sachs_r...r_800_2003.php

Bike
    katzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY
    Rog---bloody nice bike --I've owned two of em.
    to improve em ...........
    I hear you on the soft forks, also quickening-up the steering. The raked-out front-end sure is odd - some designer's wet dream?

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    Apparently one of the boutique european manufacturers (Sachs?), sold a sport version with the original headstock replaced with a steeper one..
    The Sachs is still for sale,pretty much bombed in the UK but I like them and they`re currently going for the same price as a Bandit 650.
    http://www.motocyclemania.co.uk/Sale.../b805/b805.htm
    The VX itself wasn`t popular here either but for too long outright speed has been all too many people in Britain have rated bikes on and many popular machines on the European mainland have nose-dived here sales-wise.VXs we got were mainly dark blue or black,again I liked them but they were dropped pretty soon,Intruders are still sold though.

Bike
    Diamondback.
    very capable bike, with a good amount of power, the bike mags were quite complimentary of them when they came out.
    Homer you shot the zombie Flanders !
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    yea --nuffing loosing a couple of degrees of rake wont fix. --um actually seriously
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    TR50 ,AJS500
    Mine had a hinge in the middle

Bike
    CRS
    Sachs Roadster is no longer available, may be some old stock in the UK but not new from factory.

Bike
    katzuki
    I now have two VX800s - Roughy and Smoothy.

Roughy - my first one - is a Japanese import. It has the version of engine that was made for the US market - vibration deliberately engineered into it to appeal to Harley riders. The Jap imports are restricted but can be easily returned to unrestricted standard trim (which I have done).

Smoothy is a 1992 NZ new bike - has the less vibey version engine. I've been told there were less than ten sold NZ new, and as a result they are much harder to find (in NZ). KBer XF650 found it, checked it out, arranged the purchase, got it to his place, and looked after it for me until I could get to the SI to pick it up. He even helped me prep it for the ride home and kept me company as far as Kaikoura (What can I say!!!!!!). Smoothy is an example of the "rest-of-the-world" (or, if you prefer non US & Japan) model and is noticeably smoother, but power/performance wise they are the very similar. Smoothy (i.e. my one) also has some aftermarket suspension mods that make it handle better than Roughy's standard set-up.

From what I can tell the only difference - apart from the engine that is - between the models (i.e. in standard trim) is the seat. Smoothy's is noticeably better padded/more comfortable.

So, which one do I ride today. Ummm..........not sure, but I'm beginning to prefer Roughy around town (feel the vibes man), and Smoothy on the highway.

Thread Information