Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VX800 - what were they thinking?

Bike
    RF900 /cbr1100xx/GAS GAS 250
    did you get it on trademe? i saw a black one in wellington about a year ago, i love the look, i hear they are a bit gutless?
    anyway cool bike!

Quote Originally Posted by rogson View Post
    I just bought one. Don't know why really - one odd-ball deserves another perhaps?

Not many in NZ - less than 10 sold new plus a few used imports.

It sure is different - hard to categorize.

Having a ball with it though.
    its Crazy Big Al but if your have lesbian fantasies you can read it crazy bi gal if you like!

Bike
    Betty
    nice as, has two wheels ,

Bike
    katzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybigal View Post
    .... i hear they are a bit gutless?
    Gutless? - well yes they don't have the top-end of most bikes of similar capacity but they have a very strong (for the engine size) low-to-mid range torque which makes them fund to ride.

Also, as I said earlier most of the VX800s in NZ are Japanese imports - and they are restricted. Derestricting them significantly improves the upper end performance.

My import struggled to get above 140km/hr originally - but now it is derestricted I can easily get to 160km/hr.

Thanks for the ride a couple of months ago Roger,interesting that my impressions are the same as everyone elses - that front end! What were they thinking indeed,the raked out forks just don't seem to fit with the purpose of the bike.It felt soft and heavy,definatly needed throttle to settle it in corners...I wonder if stiffening it up like Frosty says would help? Have you got used to it completely?

Compared to the XLV750 the VX800 probably had more stomp and definatly longer legs,the XLV750 just wanted to rev,if I rode by ear I would hit the limiter,and that was 1250rpm over max hp revs.The VX800 was maybe more what you would expect a 800cc V twin to be like,a very strong bottom end and seamless power all the way,the XLV750 was like a monstrous XR200,asking to be canned to death.

If I have that much to spend the VX800 is a with the only small handful of bikes on my list.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    katzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    ....the raked out forks just don't seem to fit with the purpose of the bike.It felt soft and heavy,definatly needed throttle to settle it in corners...I wonder if stiffening it up like Frosty says would help? Have you got used to it completely?
    The VX you rode (Roughy) has standard forks. I raised them 20mm through the triple clamps which cured the worst of the low speed handling quirks - but as you say they are still soft and slow steering.

My other VX (Smoothy) came with a set of Progressive forks springs - made specifically for the VX. They sharpen-up the steering and reduce the front end dive considerably. From owners reports/comments I have read they are a very popular (bordering on mandatory) modification for the VX - and I can understand why.
    I am so impressed with them that I have ordered a set for Roughy.
    I'll bring it over for you to try again once I have installed them.

Bike
    Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki
    Anyone want to buy a VX800 let me know. We've got one sitting here.

Bike
    Fatbob
    my mate has just bought one .. hoping for a ride this weekend

Bike
    Fatbob
    how much?
    10 chars

Bike
    suzuki vx800

vx 800 derestricted

Hi, all i was reading this in a earley post and wondering what you have to do? ( My import struggled to get above 140km/hr originally - but now it is derestricted I can easily get to 160km/hr. )as mine is standard jap model, it is a 1992 with 26300 kph, i have only had it for a few weeks as it has spent the last 3 years, in the last owners front room,i have changed the rear shocks for hagons, the Progressive forks springs do work they have the same part number as a 1985/1992 vmax,( that was the last bike i had) and if you want a second disk set up for the front, look for a ( suzuki 400 bandit next on my list) as the forks are 41mm, slide your old ones out and slide your new set in, john

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    Have I missed something here, this is the Adventure / Dual Purpose thread, VX800 - are they good in gravel or something?

Bike
    1999 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    Even stranger bike was the Sach 800 with the same motor but twin disc's and USD forks at the front end and drum and twin coil over shocks at the rear WTF
    I'm as free as a Bird, and this Bird you cannot change!!!

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Outlaw, PM Rogson, he's the local expert on these things......you'll find his posts earlier in this thread.

Bike
    Suzuki VX800
    I have a 1992 jap import VX, i ride it every day to work, and really enjoy it. If anyone can advise on how to derestrict it, i would be grateful.

Bike
    katzuki
    The Japanese market models have their top-end reduced by restricting the breathing. As a result their peak power is down over 10% from "standard" full-power models.

To derestrict them:
    Cut out the blanked-off portion of the rubber intake nozzles that attach to the upstream side of the air-filters.
    Replace the original air-filters with OEM filters for NZ new (i.e. standard) model bikes (available from your Suzuki dealer) - or get a set of Hiflofiltro filters (part# HFA 3801) for about half the price.
    Rejet the carbs to standard jetting - replace main jets with 122.5 front, 135 rear - check the needle heights (clips should be on third groove from the top). Don't mix-up the needles - front and rear are different. Jets are available through any bike shop (front is "Mikuni small round", rear is "Mikuni large round").
    Reset the mixture screws for best idle - should be around 2 1/4 turns out front, 3 turns out rear.

I also drilled-out the air-holes in the carb slides to 2mm to get better throttle response - but this is optional.

Bike
    katzuki
    I note http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...782418.htm?p=1 is using this thread as a selling tool.
    VXs shouldn't need reconditioning after 48,000km. One of mine has done 130,000km and runs like a top.

Perhaps the next buyer should make sure he can get his money back like the previous one did.

Thread Information