Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: VX800 - what were they thinking?

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    You see VXRider has joined our forum http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56214
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    KLR 650, VX800, 250 Degree
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    You see VXRider has joined our forum http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56214
    I have had my VX for several years now and done over 60,000 kms on it. It was a Jap import bought, now done over 100,000 kms, and "retired". Modded the suspension and fitted s/steel braide front line early on, and that's about it. Heavier springs on the rear (Konis), because we tour two up on it with a Krauser luggage system. Progressive springs and heavier oil up front. I have a new front disc to fit at some stage. The bike has always run well, tops out at about 180, although it takesa while from 160. Runs like a Swiss watch all day long at 5000 RPM.

I have a w/shop manual and parts manual on I can burn to CD, if anyone wants/needs one....just send me a private email.
    4 wheels move the body,
    2 wheels move the soul.

Bike
    GL1800
    Boy, they're coming out of the wood work now! I too had one - an immaculate black NZ new one which I purchased off a Ulyssian near Palmerston North. Came with Staintune pipes - fabulous sounding, plus heated grips, Givi mini screen, grip protectors, sheepskin seat cover etc

Sold it to a Guy from Otago I seem to recall. I loved it - watercooled, shaft, V twin, grouse sound. I read (and may still have) a mag comparo between the VX and the Harley Sporty, which the Suzy won hands down.
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    katzuki
    Yep, great bikes - a unique combination of character and performance.

You don't need to buy high$ aftermarket pipes to get that nice sound - just drill 5 or 6 small holes in the end of the tailpipe.

I imagine a mint NZ model would be hard to find.

Bike
    93 VX800
    I wasn't an instant convert but the guy selling the bike insisted we go for a spin out into the countryside and back...sitting on it rolling along through the back roads in a relaxed manner I got the point of owning a VX800 - done deal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	241108b.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	112260  
    "More and more girls are keen to get a leg over." Katherine Prumm Sunday Star Times, Nov 2, 2008 :

Bike
    KLR 650, VX800, 250 Degree

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mctshirt View Post
    ....I got the point of owning a VX800 - done deal
    Great stuff..I've had mine for 8 years..It's now done over 103,000 kms & no problems with it. Don't think I'll ever get rid it...I have a w/shop manual on CD which I can copy if you want one...just flick me an address to post it to.. happy riding
    4 wheels move the body,
    2 wheels move the soul.

Bike
    Small Mercies
    Rogson, The VX800's used to be rented out in the early nineties...often seen by said renter going round the track's at Ruapuna on track days...magic haha...though not sure how many chequred flags they saw.

Bike
    katzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Rogson, The VX800's used to be rented out in the early nineties...often seen by said renter going round the track's at Ruapuna on track days...magic haha...though not sure how many chequred flags they saw.
    "Smoothy", my NZ new VX is an ex rental from Christchurch. Maybe its been around Ruapuna?

It has done 130,000km and still runs strong.

Bike
    :-( none at present
    Quote Originally Posted by nudemetalz View Post
    Like what Yamaha did with the MT-01.
    and the FZX750
    If you are behind meDont ask as I am lost too.

Bike
    1991 Suzuki VX800M

Thumbs up Great Mod Rogson! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rogson View Post
    The Japanese market models have their top-end reduced by restricting the breathing. As a result their peak power is down over 10% from "standard" full-power models.

To derestrict them:
    Cut out the blanked-off portion of the rubber intake nozzles that attach to the upstream side of the air-filters.
    Replace the original air-filters with OEM filters for NZ new (i.e. standard) model bikes (available from your Suzuki dealer) - or get a set of Hiflofiltro filters (part# HFA 3801) for about half the price.
    Rejet the carbs to standard jetting - replace main jets with 122.5 front, 135 rear - check the needle heights (clips should be on third groove from the top). Don't mix-up the needles - front and rear are different. Jets are available through any bike shop (front is "Mikuni small round", rear is "Mikuni large round").
    Reset the mixture screws for best idle - should be around 2 1/4 turns out front, 3 turns out rear.

I also drilled-out the air-holes in the carb slides to 2mm to get better throttle response - but this is optional.
    Just wanted to say what a great improvement this makes to the VX800's mid/top end. After giving the air filters a clean out I remembered reading this post a few weeks ago. I promptly did the cut out of the intakes along with a few other lubricating jobs and reassembled thinking I would get back to doing the jets another time! Big mistake!! The bike would not rev past about 5-6000 rpm on the front cylinder and was very flat on the rear cylinder. Worst part was i could not figure out what would cause this problem! (i temporarily forgot about doing the cut outs) My thoughts were that i had got a bit of dirt/debris in the carb. After many carb removals/jet cleans it was off to the bike shop. They were just as puzzled and after trying several things including independent fuel supply, spark plugs... I remembered the cut outs and called them. Sure enough, blocking the front intake a bit brought back that smooth clean revving motor! Oh well, red faces all around and onto ordering and fitting the new jets. A good learning curve and even better performance from a great motor.
    Thanks again for the post Rogson.
    Cheers.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I have never known a VX800 pilot/owner that didn't like it...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

hhmmmmmmmmmmm

Looks like a later model version of the XZ 400 and XZ 550
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yamaha-XZ550-1982.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	125573  

Bike
    1992, Suzuki VX800

How is the VX800 restricted?

Quote Originally Posted by rogson View Post
    "Smoothy", my NZ new VX is an ex rental from Christchurch. Maybe its been around Ruapuna?

It has done 130,000km and still runs strong.
    Hi rogson ... I really would like to get in touch with you.
    I am a new owner of an old VX800 -92.
    It is an European version and it is restricted.
    Would you possible know how it is restricted?

I am searching all over to find out in what way?
    I have had people telling me it is only the air filters, it is the silencers and some telling me it is a restricting plug in the carb intake...

Before I put the whole bike in pieces I was thinking I better ask someone that know for sure

Please send me a message or answer to this thread.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    wondering if they ever did get around to completely converting it to a sports type arrangement
    chain drive
    more rake at front for quick cornering
    twin front disks
    etc

with the Vee Twin motor

sports cruiser sort of mold

or did some other model appear

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    wondering if they ever did get around to completely converting it to a sports type arrangement
    chain drive
    more rake at front for quick cornering
    twin front disks
    etc

with the Vee Twin motor

sports cruiser sort of mold

or did some other model appear
    Chain drive ... NO

More rake ... NO

Twin front disc ... NO

Other models ... http://www.suzukicycles.org/VX-series/VX800.shtml
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information