Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting out the baffle on FXR150???

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki Z750 (L)

Cutting out the baffle on FXR150???

Hi all. So I'm thinking I would like a little more power out of my FXR150 (I've been getting frustrated trying to pass cages that decided to speed up when they realise that I'm trying to pass them - jerks!)

I've read that cutting out the baffle on the muffler usually works well, but when I went to have a look at the muffler, I noticed that it's not a slip on which I can unbolt and slip out to work on it.... now, I'm wondering if anyone's done this and can give me advice on how to go about it (pictures would be perfect!!!!!)

Thanks in advance

PS - I've also been told that getting a bigger carb might help along with the baffle removal, can anyone tell me if there are any carbs that will bolt straight on without mod? if the tuning of new carbs difficult?

Thanks
    I have deep pockets. It's just that it's a deep empty pocket...........

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

I take it you never want anoth warrent then. If you really want more power, get a bigger/faster bike eh.
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by inlinefour
    I take it you never want anoth warrent then. If you really want more power, get a bigger/faster bike eh.
    huh?? If the muffler still looks stock but is a bit louder (maybe don't take out all the baffles) he should be sweet. Hell my bike is a screamer.

And about the carb. I think there is a thread on here somewhere. I remember reading that maybe a dirtbike carb fits on or something. Can't quite recall though
    Lump lingered last in line for brains,
    And the ones she got were sort of rotten and insane...

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by aff-man
    huh?? If the muffler still looks stock but is a bit louder (maybe don't take out all the baffles) he should be sweet. Hell my bike is a screamer.

And about the carb. I think there is a thread on here somewhere. I remember reading that maybe a dirtbike carb fits on or something. Can't quite recall though
    My DRZ baffle was removed and more holes put into it, then re-welded in. Its louder, dunno about faster as Ive never ridden another, but told its quicker. Allways an option, but I believe with the new exhaust laws, removing a baffle(s) might be a wrong move.
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki Z750 (L)
    If you really want more power, get a bigger/faster bike eh.
    Well that might be my option if I had more money, but since I'm a student and my parents don't even know that I have a bike...... Any constructive suggestions?

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsmith
    Well that might be my option if I had more money, but since I'm a student and my parents don't even know that I have a bike...... Any constructive suggestions?
    As I was a student going on 3 years ago, I know what its like. Back then I could not even afford a bike, so your one up on me there. If I was you, I'd leave the bike standard as if your anything like I was, can't afford any mistakes. Once the training is over, use the bike as a trade in on whateveritisyouwant. I've started a collection, you'll get what you want eventually, just have to get the training over and start working to buy the nice toys eh.

Bike
    In between bikes
    Remember reading about the carb myself too ... it more or less bolted straight on ... think it was a DR200. Definitely was a 200cc dirt bike. Do a search for it.

There are racing cam's and racing CDI units available. There's a wrecker on the North Island selling them. Again, do a search for it.

In all honestly, best leave it as is and upgrade to something bigger. The factory did a good job with this bike.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    As I was a student going on 3 years ago, I know what its like. Back then I could not even afford a bike, so your one up on me there. If I was you, I'd leave the bike standard as if your anything like I was, can't afford any mistakes. Once the training is over, use the bike as a trade in on whateveritisyouwant. I've started a collection, you'll get what you want eventually, just have to get the training over and start working to buy the nice toys eh.
    Hey I'm a student. Still broke as fuck. First bike I had was an 88 vt250F SE . Went like stink untill I bent the crankshaft...

Got dropped in the deepend and did an engine replacement myself. Then I stuck a "modified" vfr400 pipe on the bike and it ran heaps better.

So you can always have your bike modified right here at aff's rangi garage.
    Lump lingered last in line for brains,
    And the ones she got were sort of rotten and insane...

Bike
    2005 ZX6R
    ah yes there can be some real arsehole drivers around PN,

I find mobil synergy 5000/8000 adds a horse or two, makes it much more comfortable on the open road alot easier to reach 130 where it stops climbing on my bike.

I heard that the carb mod was a bit more than just a swap, you have to reshape a piece or two.

Not anything really worth doing to a fxr in my book if you want to sell it later.

Bike
    02 Piaggio X9 250
    I don't think you will be getting any real noticeable power out by modifying the bike (But I could be wrong). My advice is to save your money for a bigger bike a few months/years down the track.

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki Z750 (L)
    Quote Originally Posted by aff-man
    So you can always have your bike modified right here at aff's rangi garage.

Hehe, I wish I was still living in AKLD. This place is way to flat for my liking, all the roads are straight and parking is too plentiful... oh hangon, that last bit wasn't a complaint, but still feels strange...

I just thought cutting out the baffle might be something I can do for free that might give it just a little more.... Will try different fuel for this bike, definately might make a difference on a hot summer's day for sure. Oh well with the winter coming the bike should go a little faster anyway...

Bike
    Speed Triple - in bogan black
    Inline has hit the nail on the head here...
    There is no dark side of the moon, really, as a matter of fact. Its all dark...

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    I have a FXR 150....

Do you want to see what happened when i tried to remove the baffle.....

!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_00060.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	31032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_00061.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	31033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_00062.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	31034  

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki Z750 (L)
    Thanks RG100.... I'm thinking I'm in way above my head.... I think I'll just stick to the stock fxr150....

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    the best upgrade you could do for more corner fun is new tires

Thread Information