Thread: Sticky valve?

Bike
    '04 GS1200ss, '08 DRZ400SM

Sticky valve?

I have made various passing remarks about a niggly problem with my ageing GB400. It just rolled 85,000km today and I have had it since new (16 Aug 1988). The main symptoms of the "problem" is that it randomly misfires on startup when idling on choke (I try to keep the revs low) and it backfires (single ear splitter) when throttled off coming to a stop or corner. The misfire "feels" like sudden loss of compresson rather than electrical fault (but wot would I know). Otherwise it goes fine and goes slightly less on a tank of fuel than it did when new.

So I am now wondering if it could be a sticky valve. Any enlightenment would be appreciated:
    Is a sticky valve likely/possible?
    What would be the symptoms?
    Inlet more likely than exhaust?
    What are the repair options (other than head off) ie upper cylinder lube (brand etc)?
    Does this happen often in bikes?
    Add your own question here (with good answer)
    I have just found out that they have removed the word gullible from the dictionary

Bike
    HONDA CBR400RR aero 1987
    Air leak in exhaust

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie
    The main symptoms of the "problem" is that it randomly misfires on startup when idling on choke (I try to keep the revs low) and it backfires (single ear splitter) when throttled off coming to a stop or corner. The misfire "feels" like sudden loss of compresson rather than electrical fault (but wot would I know).
    Misfire ? like an after fire ? thats incomplete closure of exhaust valves
    Backfire, incomplete closure of inlet valves

And being a Honda of that era and Engine design based on the RFVC XL/XR 500/600s will mean its most likely in need of a valve reset & lap for proper valve contact on the seats.

Check & adjust the valve clearances 1st then go from there if the symptoms continue.

I've been following discusions lately where I'm finding out sticky valves are much more common than we think,they are doing it practicaly all the time.When I get around to it I'll follow up with some tests of my own to prove it for myself.If you watch the KV spikes on a multi cyl running on a 'scope - if you see the spikes fluctuating up and everything else is in order,that's sticky valves.There are methods to prove this,I'll get around to it one day.So I'd run it on a 'scope,and I'd plug my vacuum probe into it so I can see a waveform of the induction...it might pick up the hic cup of the valve.

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    My suggestion is that you may have a leaking carb boot (the rubber mount between the engine and the carb) or the velocity stack into the airbox(filter) if the bike has one.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    Honda PC800
    other than to repeat others comments. Give her a valve grind and a new set of rings.not too expensive on a single
    I do recall when the GB400 was a new model they were having similar problems -might pay to have a yak to ya local honda dealership
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    '04 GS1200ss, '08 DRZ400SM
    Thanks for the comments.

I did previously think that it might be a burnt valve (it did burn one out at around 50000). But compression test now seems OK so I was thinking that it was improperly seating at some spots as the valve rotated. But was talking to mechanically minded workmate who commented about sticking valves so it got me thinking.

It "afterfires" (ie that noise that leaves your ears ringing that eminates from the muffler) any time but certainly when hot. It doesn't seem to misfire much once warm as it doesn't stall. It could be air leaks etc but I have looked for those previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    I've been following discusions lately where I'm finding out sticky valves are much more common than we think,they are doing it practicaly all the time.
    Whoo hoo so there might be something in the sticky valve theory. So, if it might be happening, how can it be fixed (ie RedX, upper cylinder, lump of lead in the tank, magnets????) without ripping the thing open.
    I have just found out that they have removed the word gullible from the dictionary

Bike
    Only a cafe at the moment ;'(
    Blog Entries
    Hey,

I'm having almost the same problem with my GB500.

How did you fix yours?

link to my post: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...51#post1964951

Thread Information