Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yep... another 250 turbo thread. Turbo newb needs help.

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS

Yep... another 250 turbo thread. Turbo newb needs help.

Well... I have been considering my options.

Either get two bikes... or mod one.

I was thinking a 250 turbo (if done properly...) would be the shiznickle or whatever that word is. I love the handling and can't get enough, bigger bikes don't do it for me in that department. A one off as such. I would buy a second motor to work on while I rode the bike around.

Small turbo here on tardme
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-56075902.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-56710578.htm

I know carbs and turbos are a prick but if anyone could offer advice and tips that would be great. I'd probably have to get forged internals or something like that I guess (HOW AND WHERE?! also is heat treating a similar thing?). General things like that would help if you can tell me what I need to look for. I'm trying to work out the costs included. Don't just say get a big bike and don't waste your money etc as I'm prepared to spend money for a turbo 250 instead of a big bike. And I don't want to consider NOS for now... easier way out.

Quote Originally Posted by smoakin busa - sportsbikes.ws
    07-27-2003, 02:48 PM
    keep the 250 till your on your own, till then build the badest sleeper of all. imagine the look on the face of a guy riding a zx7 when a 250 blows past him. when I was 15 these same kind of guys were telling me I had to be insane for spending hard earned cash on a vw bug, but when I got it together and was posting et's under 11.60sec they all shut up and quit giving me a hard time.
    Sleeper sounds fucking cool, not to mention just having a turbo bike. And no I don't expect to get enough HP to pass a 600etc in a line but that's what corners are for eh Just a power boost with minimal weight gain... cool idea I guess and something to do over winter.

Waiting to hear from you mr DEATH_INC especially. Infact I'll offer payment for work/help in regards to this if I decide to try this out, goes out to anyone. I have heard figures of 10k from people asking similar questions elsewhere, but i'm trying to do this for less.

I don't have welding gear or too much mechanical expertise so I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to this.

THings to consider: engine limitations... carbs.. DRIVETRAIN (mabey swappa 400 one...?) Oil should be fine just need to get a line off the bikes normal coolant system. I'll need pipes fabbed exhaust > turbo etc too.

Comments.. suggestions?

Bike
    Get a Two Stroke?

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPeanut
    Get a Two Stroke?
    It's under consideration... also an engine swap might be more simple after fabbing etc than a turbo? and more power. Big 500 single or something.

Basically I'm looking at my options for turboing but i'd love to give it a crack instead of getting another bike.

edit: I'm slightly mental I guess.. turbo sounds like me.

Bike
    R80, CB400N, Cb200.
    Sounds like a bitch to set up, but fuck would it be cool. _b
    Quote Originally Posted by John Banks View Post
    Yes, but bikes = cool and cars = suck. I think it's Newton's fourth law or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    Queer Retarded Fags I think.

Isn't sniper one of those?

Bike
    Maybe find an older tandem twin or v twin ? less carbs than a four and less to replace probably lower comp to begin with too.

Maybe a honda VT250 with high ks? something cheap, id consider doing it myself but Ive already got enough to do...

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by N4CR
    also an engine swap might be more simple after fabbing etc than a turbo? and more power. Big 500 single or something.

Basically I'm looking at my options for turboing but i'd love to give it a crack instead of getting another bike.

edit: I'm slightly mental I guess.. turbo sounds like me.
    Firstly, you couldn't get a motor further removed from what you want than a 500 single, so make up your mind.
    Secondly, stay away from LSD, save your money for a better (yes bigger and faster) motorcycle.
    Most modern 600's weight no more than most slightly older 250's and will actually be reliable as well as handling better.
    And despite your best wishes, I doubt you'd be able to find a turbo unit small enough for your engine size.

Bike
    Not many, if any
    and if you are really keen on doing it?

Firstly, you would have to lower compression from around 11:1 on the 250 to 8:1. Then be satisfied with stock head gaskets capabilities. After that its up to you, the theory is there - it should run on the genuine die-cast internals, but who knows - and if u need new pistons to alter compression... then maybe may aswell go to forged? if you want cold seizing?

Retail on JE custom made pistons? $300ea
    Retail on some custom 'rillo rods? $400ea approx

If you give me dimensions of what you want/need, i can research what might be the same.

my 750 turbo rocks

next problem with such a high revving wee girl etc is oil pressure to that poor turbo thats going to be flying at 10x the speed of ya 250. External oil pump possibly could be the way. Dunno, show me $5000 and see if something can start happening.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Save your money and buy a new GSXR600 or R6. It'll be as fast, or probably faster through the bends... even it was to weigh more (which it pretty much doesn't), it hasn't got shagged 10 year old suspension, and the suspension is of a far superior design and spec. That, and the extra 60-80bhp means why would you bother?

Somthing to consider about performance, reliability and sound design... The Japanese have incredible skill, and large R&D departments... why haven't they built a turbo 250?

Dont listen to these wankers, Do eet! Bikes arnt ratioanal - There emotional, You buy it because you love it. It wont be cheap but it would be awesome, Im not sure how diffent adding a turbo to a bike is than on a car, but in the its the torque increase that is the main gain (well thats what a black man told me :-P) Wheelie machine. Maybe have a look at the ct12 turbo from old toyota supras, there pretty small not really good for much more than 5psi (stock they run 2.5-3)

Make sure you get what ever custom parts fabricated down on paper (like propper desinged), Im sure other people would PAY you to turbo there bike
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Bikes!
    The torque increase will make it a wheelie machine? It'll probably still have less torque than a 600, and they're not exactly wheelie machines... If he wanted a wheelie machine, he could go up 6 teeth on the back.

How many psi of boost a turbo makes isn't any indicator of its suitability in a given application. The real way to be a 'wanker' here would be to suggest (expensive) things without having an ounce of mechanical understanding or ability to back those suggestions up with.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    oh you guys - leave him alone. he's a 19 year old self confessed poseur - let him turbo his bike - it's a GR thing.....

Bike
    Bikes!
    Agreed, but I don't want to see him go down an expensive path that gives bugger all gains though Sure, it's his money, but the more of it that stays that way the better imho.

Admittedly the same argument applies to turboing a 750... just buy a thou.. but you can see how more worthy a mod that is (not to mention the comparitive ease of turboing an injected GSXR750 over a carbed 250)

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying
    If he wanted a wheelie machine, he could go up 6 teeth on the back.
    Or 2 teeth down on the front???

Well if you want better handling, and more power, as others have said, get a bigger bike...

BUT, personally i want to see this done!!! Get in contact with Death, KK and Nicko (his mate has a turboed GSX-R1000, wheelies of the throttle in 4th gear at 200+kmh, not practical, but who cares!!!)... Mish would be getting the compression down, and finding a small enough turbo (maybe one off a CBX500?) and oil pressure with the fact that your 250 revs to 18000rpm... (all stated by KK) the rest... fabrication work... give it a go, would be a bit of a laugh...
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    Bikes!
    You could show it at the bling bling car comps! (seriously!) I'm sure it'd attract some attention... just had a thought, it'd still be legal too ride on a learners... there's two (good?) reasons why you might want to

Bike
    None :(
    I think this is just the thing you're after:
    http://feralinjection.com/

I say go for it! But defo get yourself a second engine to experiment on.

Thread Information