Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AA not happy we're getting off speed camera fines.

Bike
    GSXR1000

AA not happy we're getting off speed camera fines.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...ving-free-ride

Well we've never been popular with that organisation from memory. Doesn't look anything will be done about it but more negative press for us I guess.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    The AA can honestly go fuck themselves with an iron rod.

This is a group which is purports to stand up for motorists rights, which is the opposite of what they're doing here. Of course their anti-motorcycle stance is well established so this is fairly predictable.

Bike
    KTM
    i'd rather this than GPS monitoring on all MC's...

Bike
    2016 R1200gs
    Yes, the AA are anti motorbikes for sure. The problem us bikers have is a attitude problem. The general attitude out there towards motorcyclists is we are the bad guys. If you get killed on a push bike, it's very sad. If a motorcyclist gets killed it was probably his fault. The irony is whilst motorcyclist pay plenty to be able to ride on the ride, we get very little back. Whereas cyclists pay nothing directly to use the road, but large amounts of money is spent on them.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuff.co.nz
    If they're not being caught for speeding, that means a certain group of riders will think they can get away with speeding or driving at an inappropriate speed, and that is concerning for road safety.
    Looks like Cassina wrote it.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    In Queensland sped cameras could only photograph from behind because some politician was caught away with his secretary. Also, if a flash was used, it wouldn't blind the driver. So motorbikes weren't exempt.

Bike
    CBR250R '89 MC19
    Lies, damned lies, and statistics

The quote that stood out for me was regarding the increase in fatalities.

Motorcyclist deaths had increased in recent years, from 44 in 2012 to 50 in 2016, and police remained committed to promoting safe driving, he said.

So that's a 13.6% increase over 4 years. // 50/44 = 1.13636363636

Now I wonder how many people had motorbikes in 2012 vs 2016.

2012:
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resou.../docs/2012.pdf (page 56 of pdf, or printed pg54 )

Motorcycles 45,449

Now let's look at 2016:

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/n...-fleet-status/ (I grabbed the 30th of June 2016 for better comparison)

Motorcycle 136,772

136,772/45,449 = 3.00935114084

A 200.9% increase in registered motorbikes.

If ownership of motorbikes correlated with fatalities then we should expected 132 fatalities a year. (44 * 3.00935114084 = 132.4)

So in fact motorcycle deaths have decreased dramatically! 37% reduction in fatalities since 2012 if accounting for increase in motorcycle usage.

Now of course these numbers include motorbikes on rego hold. Don't know where to get the numbers to exclude these. So increases/decreases will be skewed by those.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    As I mentioned in the other thread...

The AA has never liked motorcycles despite the majority of riders also having cars and in some cases - used to be AA members. I was a member for decades - then the AA moved from being an organisation that advocated for its members and road users in general to being an insurance company... I also had professional dealings with them and found them the worst people I have ever dealt with...

I'm no longer a member and refuse to touch any product or service that goes near them. I suggest you do the same...

I also say similar everytime some wanker asks me if I have an AA card...

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I was very glad to have an AA Plus Membership when I broke down in Timaru on the way back from the Burt Munro.
    AA Contractor promptly turned up, collected the bike and took to their workshop, the AA arranged for it to be shipped to Auckland and put me up in a motel for the night, Contractor dropped me off.
    Next day I hung around at their workshop drinking coffee and they dropped me in town.hi

That lot cost them about $800.00, bus to ChCh airport and flight I paid for.

Also my Sons car clutch went on Boxing day and they had it towed back to my place in an hour.

As for speeding, there was a lot of that all the way down the West Coast and I saw some pretty interesting overtaking by groups of bikes.
    If I had been in a car driving down the coast my impressions of motorcyclists would have been not particularly positive.

But anyway as you all were, back to denial of stats and blaming others
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Looks like Cassina wrote it.
    Could be a conspiracy....Katman!!!

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...ving-free-ride

Well we've never been popular with that organisation from memory. Doesn't look anything will be done about it but more negative press for us I guess.
    I'll chip in $100 for a kickstarter for Anonymous to DDOS them back to the dark ages if that helps. FUCK THE AA
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post
    Yes, the AA are anti motorbikes for sure. The problem us bikers have is a attitude problem. The general attitude out there towards motorcyclists is we are the bad guys. If you get killed on a push bike, it's very sad. If a motorcyclist gets killed it was probably his fault. .
    Thing is, the data very firmly indicates that when a motorcyclist gets killed, it probably was their own fault. Further, in recent years the proportion of fatals with the rider having the major portion of the blame, is increasing.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Thing is, the data very firmly indicates that when a motorcyclist gets killed, it probably was their own fault.
    Data and probably don't mix

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Various things
    TV3 got hold of me today regarding this. Rather not have to front the camera gain. But some of the stats here will certainly help if I do. Ta for that.

Bike
    2016 R1200gs
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Thing is, the data very firmly indicates that when a motorcyclist gets killed, it probably was their own fault. Further, in recent years the proportion of fatals with the rider having the major portion of the blame, is increasing.
    What Data? The data I have seen , appears to be very selective. Selective as it can only be interpreted as negative about bikers.

Thread Information