Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zx7r problems when running... Carb Icing??

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

zx7r problems when running... Carb Icing??

OK, so background info. Went in for a full service Tuesday before last (1.5 weeks). Everything was done, top to bottom. Besides needing to adjust its idle, everything was fine and the bike felt fantastic. Until this Tuesday morning.

Going down the Pakuranga Highway just past St Kents, the bike dies. Just switches off, no response etc. I managed to get off the road, and used its momentum to roll into the BP. The bike was absolutely dead. No neutral light, oil light, spark. Nothing. So a call to Mt Eden who has to pick me and bike up etc. They work on the bike for 4.5 hours, still can't find the exact fault, but suspect the wiring loom, and bypass with another power wire (I think). Luckily they halved the labour bill too, which was nice.

However, a problem remains. The bike runs, starts etc, but it will, randomly, jerk, and then continue. On the odd occasion, unpredictably, it will do it again. I would call it dying, then perhaps getting a jump start, but the revs needle doesn't move.

I still need to check the kill switch and side stand cutout, but I remember when researching the 7, that they can have chronic carb icing (the P3+ was apparently fixed, but the P1 (me) and P2 needed a retro-fit), and a small bit of info I found on the web seems to sound similar to what I'm getting.

I don't ride delicate bikes, nor do I want it jerking when I'm busy in a corner. Want to get it sorted as cheaply as possible - but I want it fixed. As a last resort, I might have to replace the loom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Su su su suzuki for summer, yeah!

Or winter.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Why thank you dover, so practically helpful. However, I don't like riding bikes that like to crash/like looking scraped up. Or *looks at bike description* "rat"
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    Why thank you dover, so practically helpful. However, I don't like riding bikes that like to crash/like looking scraped up. Or *looks at bike description* "rat"
    At least it fucking goes!!

And it's not purple.........

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    even if it 'iced up' the ignition would still be on.It is still a electrical fault.

Bike
    Eeyore
    I'd second that.

Bike
    Eeyore
    Plus when I've been in Auckland (tough Southerner here) around mid-winter its not really cold. T-Shirt weather even so carb icing????

Bike
    Bikes!
    I agree. Unless it's something pretty obscure, no power indicates a wiring fault.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motig
    T-Shirt weather even so carb icing????
    Well, only had the zx7r since mid January, and the reason that I work is partly to pay for mechanics so sort problems out... however, being that they are stumped, there's only one other place that would hold answers... here

I have no idea what temperature carb icing would occur at, but a lot of people were mentioning it in reviews of the bike, no idea what their environment was like tho...

I haven't had the problem during summer, but also, it only started 1 week after the service...

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ght=dirty+NC30

then specially this post http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...5&postcount=13

had similar symptoms, turned out was some dodgy wiring have a look at the pics!

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    If your loosing all electrical power it definately isn't a carb icing problem and that definately wouldn't happen anywhere around auckland, maybe on the central plateau or in central otago maybe.

Its either the regulator rectifer, or the stator coil is stuck open or its shorting out. check all the wiring also as it may be an internal fracture in one of the wires (check around all the areas where the wiring comes in contact with the frame and any spots that look chaffed).

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    Wouldn't be something as simple as a dodgy connection to or from the battery, like the earth lead to the engine etc would it?

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    bus pass at the mo
    nah its not carb icing. there are 3 faults that peeps mention when talking bout the good old zxr7. 1, the weight, 2, the carb icing, 3, piss poor electrical system. your bike sounds like number 3.

Carb icing is pretty rare,and not related to ambient temps,at least not in a temperate climate.If it died with absolutly no power at the dash,then you have a wiring fault from battery to ign switch - it's not getting that far,so trace back until you find where it is/isn't.

Bike
    SUZUKI TR50 STREET MAGIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Motig
    Plus when I've been in Auckland (tough Southerner here) around mid-winter its not really cold. T-Shirt weather even so carb icing????
    YOU CAN GET CARB ICING IN AUCKS , COMBINATION TEMP /HUMIDITY/KAWASAKI RAM AIR , IF ITS ICING YOU NEED TO RUN 3% ISOPROPAL ALCOHOL IN THE PETROL TO DETERMINE, IF ITS STILL COUGHS AND SPLUTTERS IT AINT ICING, YOU CAN MINIMISE THE EFFECTS OF ICING BY RUNNING THE BIKE MORE RICH , IE RAISE THE NEEDLES A TAD OR ONE SIZE BIGGER MAINS BUT THIS IS ONLY IF ITS ON THE LEAN SIDE

Thread Information