Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbocharging a 250

Bike
    ZXR250

Turbocharging a 250

Well, I'vce decided to do something quite stupid. and put a turbo onto my ZXR! Horrah!!@!!

Just need to clean up some questions about carbies.. or more in paticular the CD carbs in my bike, wheter I can just whack a turbo onto them, and if anyone has any idea how much of a beating the internals can take. I'm gonna get my exaust valves and piston crowns coated with ceramics, but I'm just not sure how much power I can make out of her before I throw a rod out the side of the engine?

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    Hahahaha, been thinking about this for a while, I'll drag up the thread for you - best info in there. I'm going to do this when I start working again (2 months) becasue apparently Defensive driving won't work for me reducing 6 months off etc, ca'nt be fucked waiting for my full for a bit more power. Race you to completion

Thread:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ighlight=turbo

You will need to Fuel Inject the bike to make things easier afaik. Heard of a zx2r lasting 90k's before blowing up... so put some time into thinking it out I guess.

Bike

Talking

Or get a two stroke.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPeanut
    Or get a two stroke.
    FUGGOFF YOU SAID THAT IN MY THREAD TOO!!!!

Actually, I'm guilty of pisstaking 'PUDDA ROTANG IN ITT' for similar questions so I can't talk

Bike

Talking

You can put a boost gauge in it and make pssshh noises if your want

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by N4CR
    FUGGOFF YOU SAID THAT IN MY THREAD TOO!!!!
    He was right then too.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying
    He was right then too.
    Yes, turbo is the hard way out, 2 stroke engine transplant would be as well. Stop coming across so 'anti 250 modding', fuck getting a bigger bike when you can have a challenge and a dream to fufill. Mine is a 250 turbo, nuff said.

Bike
    Bikes!
    No, not a 2 stroke engine transplant, just ditch the whole bike for an RS/RGV/NSR. Perhaps I come across as 'anti 250 modding', but that isn't the case. I'm actually just against wasting money on a lost cause. It'll never be powerful, and it's a waste of time modifying it.

I guess part of the appeal is that you need a 250 for your learners. Hell, by the time you've finished it, you'll be able to ride a larger bike. Seems to me, buy a GSXR750, and turbo that would be the way to go. Easier to get bits for, later model, injected, and by the time you've actually finished it, you'll be licensed to ride it. Win win!

I realise that you've got to actually go there yourself to realise that it's flogging a dead horse, we've all been there. I'm just trying to save you from having the learn the hard (read expensive) way.

Bike
    ZXR250
    The point of turboing my 250 has nothing to do with common sence, or logic

Its a insane project, completley nuts, and thats what makes it so stupidly fun :P

Turbo tech here in CHCH can source small turbochargers specialy designed for small cc motorcycles, the one I'm looking at will flow enough to bring me ut to around the 60KW mark maximum, Prolly wont crank it that high tho.

And yes, if I wanted a bigger bike, I'd buy one. besides the project has already begun
    Valves and pistons are already on their way to Auckland for coating and machining to reduce compression

Bike
    Sounds awesome, don't get me wrong I think it would be fantastic. Good luck with the project, just don't forget the tank cam videos

You'll probably be looking at uprated clutch springs too, and make sure your gearbox is in good nick.

And don't go crashing the thing, the last thing I need is a HP restriction on 250's!

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    I've also wanted to do this. Only now I don't have my 250 anymore I want to get a minimoto to mod the hell out of it. Fit a MX engine in it (depending on what will fit, ideally go for a 250/500), turbo, carbon fibre fairings, fuel injection and a D.I.Y nitrous system.

And as you cheetor said 'The point of turboing my 250 has nothing to do with common sence, or logic - Its a insane project, completley nuts, and thats what makes it so stupidly fun :P' I feel the exact same way about this. Only thing stopping me is money (but I now have a job. I could get a minimoto in a few weeks)

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetor
    Well, I'vce decided to do something quite stupid. and put a turbo onto my ZXR! Horrah!!@!!

I'm gonna get my exaust valves and piston crowns coated with ceramics,
    You are one full o shit fella, Kick and my self are still waiting for a reply to our p/m's sent to you last year regarding you fucked up riding... if that many people complained about you to me on just one short ride I dont like ya chances with a turbo... you with a turbo on ya bike is the funniest thing I have heard this millenium. spend the money on learning to ride.

As for the ceramic shit... mate, thats the least of ya probs.
    Turboing... bloody awesome, been there done that, reckon a 250/4 would be ideal... but the work needed is extensive and expensive, unless ya sort the lube side of things and run zero boost then it wont happen. Dream on cheetor
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Bikes!
    Awww I don't know about that... regardless of whether it's a colossal waste of money, technically it's feasible.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous
    You are one full o shit fella, Kick and my self are still waiting for a reply to our p/m's sent to you last year regarding you fucked up riding
    I'm not waiting for anything, far as I was concerned as soon as my pm was sent it was dealt with

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous
    Turboing... bloody awesome, been there done that,
    Fuck off you bought a "Factory turbo bike", been there done that my arse

Personally I'd like to see him go ahead and do it
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Have a crack at it mate! Might work out to be a tad pricey, but you would have a very unique and quick machine. You gotta race Tristan/N4CR tho if you want to be first!

Thread Information