Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Question

Bike
    1987 GSX1100EF

Clutch Question

I have just got the beast back from shop after having the clutch rebuilt. It's really tight and not disengaging at full depression of the lever and it's hard to find (impossible actually) neutral when stationary. The ride home through the rush hour traffic was full of stalls and I now have a left forearm like popeye !!

Will this ease with some riding or have I got a problem ... the guys in the shop seemed to think it would ease up once it was warmed up but I gave it a good thrash out of town and back and it's still tight !!

Any ideas ??
    A man can move much faster without a millstone around his neck, so if he gets the chance to lose her he'd better drop her and run like heck !! .. (10cc "Modern Man Blues" - Deceptive Bends)

Bike
    Bikes!
    On the one hand, you could adjust it yourself.

On the other, you paid for a job to be done. Not only that, but if it gets worse, they can say your adjustment rooted it.

Personally, I'd get them to fix it, mostly based on principle.

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    check your oil level

take it back to the shop, it shouldn't do that, it should be like a brand new bike clutch!

Bike
    1987 GSX1100EF
    Quote Originally Posted by paturoa
    check your oil level

take it back to the shop, it shouldn't do that, it should be like a brand new bike clutch!
    It is a brand new clutch !! ... new plates and full oil change ... and the level is good ... I'll take it back tomorrow ...Cheers!!

I've never had have a new clutch put in before and it is an old bitch of a bike after all so I wasn't too sure what to expect !!
    A man can move much faster without a millstone around his neck, so if he gets the chance to lose her he'd better drop her and run like heck !! .. (10cc "Modern Man Blues" - Deceptive Bends)

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    the old gsx11s are easy-ish to do yourself, plenty of manuals around including online ones on this site.

Bike
    1987 GSX1100EF
    Quote Originally Posted by paturoa
    the old gsx11s are easy-ish to do yourself, plenty of manuals around including online ones on this site.

Thanks but my problems are, tools and a place to effect the adjustments !! It just feels so hard to pull in ... I might have to go work-out just get the damn thing to work !!

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Buy a Bowflex fatty.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

They may have routed the cable differently,maybe even how it's supposed to go - but it could have a bend making the action stiff...look at that first.

Bike
    1987 GSX1100EF
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash
    Buy a Bowflex fatty.
    I'l have you know I have been working out, you stick insect you !! ... I am now the owner of the best conditioned single ab in the country !! .. And everybody knows you can't knock in a railway spike with a tack hammer !!

Bike
    1987 GSX1100EF
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    They may have routed the cable differently,maybe even how it's supposed to go - but it could have a bend making the action stiff...look at that first.
    Good thinking Motu !! Thanks mate ... I'll check it out in the light tomorrow ...

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    I thought those bastards had a hydraulic clutch?

Bike
    1987 GSX1100EF
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash
    I thought those bastards had a hydraulic clutch?
    Nah mate ... there's a wire thingy connected to the pulling thingy and it goes into this black round thing on the side ... AND IT'S FUCKIN' IMPOSSIBLE TO PULL IN !!!!

1987? They didn't even have hydraulic brakes back then did they?

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Fair coment.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    take it back. don't pick it up til it's fixed properly. don't do any work on it yourself

Thread Information