Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine keeps cutting out - any ideas why?

Bike
    WR250R

Engine keeps cutting out - any ideas why?

I took the bike out today, and about 1.5k's from home, the engine cut out while I was riding along at 70 (2nd gear, about 9000 revs). The bike started again fine, but cut out again about 500m down the road. Thereafter cutting out about every 100m for the trip home. I got fed up, and pushed it most of the way.

A mechanic mate had a look at it on Thursday because it wasn't starting well on cold mornings, he put a new spark plug in it, gave it a thrashing, and said it was running sweet. I'd had the carb overflow a couple of times a while ago, so he checked the fuel system, and everything was fine.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I'm just at work collecting some tools to have a look and see if I can see any obvious problems (spark plug, battery terminals, fuses etc)

Useful information:
    The bike has a full tank of fuel, and an almost full tank of oil.
    The fuel tap is on
    The spark plug was brand new on Thursday
    I cleaned and tightened the battery terminals last week (but will check them again today)
    I'd left the choke on for the first couple of minutes the bike was running, and turned it off not long before the first cut out. It didn't need the choke to start again after the engine had cut out.
    This was at 11.30am and the bike had been in the sun for 1/2 an hour or so, so wasn't exceptionally cold.

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    swap the plug back to the old one and see what happens

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    What happens when it stops. Does it just stop like you truned the key off. Or splutter and cough for a few moments. When you start it, does it start up "cleanly"? or backfire and splutter?

Doesn't sound like plug, sounds more like fuel blockage of some sort. First thing though check everything especially plug lead for being tight, no loose connections.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    R80, CB400N, Cb200.
    I had a similar problem with cutting out, change of a sparkplug and draining the carb seemed to sort it. Though it seems you've allready done those.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Banks View Post
    Yes, but bikes = cool and cars = suck. I think it's Newton's fourth law or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    Queer Retarded Fags I think.

Isn't sniper one of those?

Bike
    bits of a CBR1000
    My p.o.s played up like this last week, kept cutting out. Started fine, change gears ok, 1/2 kay down the road it stops. Turned out it was the side-stand cut out switch not completely in the off position. Had me sweating at the time cos I was miles from home.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Ah yes. Those damn switches. Ms Rosie does your mount have a side stand switch (ie can you ride away with the side stand down)? Thye are notorious for giving trouble. (Personally I disconnect all such idiot devices, but that's just me)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    bits of a CBR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Ah yes. Those damn switches. Ms Rosie does your mount have a side stand switch (ie can you ride away with the side stand down)? Thye are notorious for giving trouble. (Personally I disconnect all such idiot devices, but that's just me)
    good plan...

Bike
    CBR150 Bucket
    I've also heard of kinked or blocked fuel tank breather hoses causing this type of problem by creating a vacuum in the tank. Just a thought.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Mine did that when i first got it.

I would ride along at 100kph and it would cough splutter then die.

Brand new plug - it still did it.

What it was in my case was that the cooling system does not have a thermostat in it. It was running to cold and wasn't able to burn the two stroke oil.

I blanked off half of my radiator and teh problem went away

hope this helps.

(ps, it won't be your batt. They run without them

Bike
    WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    What happens when it stops. Does it just stop like you truned the key off. Or splutter and cough for a few moments. When you start it, does it start up "cleanly"? or backfire and splutter?

Doesn't sound like plug, sounds more like fuel blockage of some sort. First thing though check everything especially plug lead for being tight, no loose connections.
    It stops really suddenly, like you hit the kill switch. And starts again cleanly. Which makes something electrical/ignition related like a dodgy switch seem like a possibility. I don't remember ever trying to ride away with the side stand down, so I don't know if it has a side stand switch. I will test that tomorrow and report back. And check for kinks in hoses etc.

The plug lead is nice and tight, but haven't checked further upstream yet. Although the battery looks like it could do with topping up.

Bike
    Pushie .....
    Could be crap in your tank, carb, fuel system, vacuum ? draining the carb / fuel bowl quicker than filling it up. Bad fuel fill.

Cheers

Peter

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    No sidestand switch (unless I'm blind ), doesn't really need one as the stand tends to go up on it's own if you do leave it down.

Unlikely to be a kink in the fuel line, as there isn't really anywhere for it to kink since it's a pretty straight run to the carb (of course it's still worth checking) .

Cleaning out the carb could be an idea, as that could be an issue, I've heard of this being a pretty common problem from some Thai krr owners on another forum, but don't know how valid that is as it seems to be some guy's idea for solving everything! (again, worth trying)

I'd look into the over cooling idea, as this seems to be my issue since it's gotten colder, but I've never cut out while actually moving, but it's been pretty hard to keep running when stopped, even after running to 10 min or so (not including the 5min or so I usually warm-up in the mornings)

Bike
    MT09 Tracer

Crap in the carb fuel bowl

Water in the bowl or bowl float height needs adjusting.
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow aren’t just the 4 cycles of an engine

Bike
    Check for ignition/CDI cables close to moving parts (i.e. suspension) you'd be surprised... (STUPID SJ125)

Bike
    Walking
    One of my fuel tanks was doing this the other day.

I found if I rode with the tank filler open, it would keep running fine. The tank vent was blocked which stops the fuel getting to the carb as it should.

Try that to at least rule it out as a issue.

Thread Information