Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Setting up for adventure riding

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Yep, I tried to find denatured alcohol a while back and then realised that what USA calls denatured is what UK & NZ call methylated spirits.
    I've used meths in homemade stoves and it works just fine.
    Methylated spirits are available damn near anywhere - service stations, hardware stores, supermarkets, The Warehouse, etc. Look for purple stuff.
    Yep, "denatured" means "poisoned so you can't drink it".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikithingy
    Consumption and toxicity

Despite its poisonous content, denatured alcohol is sometimes consumed as a surrogate alcohol, which can result in blindness or death if (as was typical) it contains methanol. For instance, during American prohibition, Federal law required methanol in domestically manufactured industrial alcohols, and on Christmas and the two following days, roughly at the midpoint of that "Great Experiment", 31 people in New York City died of methanol poisoning. To help prevent this, denatonium is often added to give the substance an extremely bitter flavor. Substances such as pyridine help to give the mixture an unpleasant odor, and emetic (vomiting) agents such as syrup of ipecac may also be included.

Some countries, including New Zealand, have removed methanol from their government-approved "methylated spirits" formulation.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    Why not use the liquid camping stove fuel you get from camping stores, last one i bought was made by Coleman - colourless, odourless, doesnt smoke or smell like shit like meths. Comes in litre bottles says on it specially formulated for liquid fuel appliances, contains Toluene, light aliphatic petroleum spirit.
    It depends what stove you have, alcohol stoves run on meths, multi-fuel stoves run on coleman fuel (white spirits or even unleaded petrol can be used), butane stoves run on butane gas canisters and wood stoves run on wood.
    If you have an alcohol stove then you definitely don't want to try burning coleman fuel in it.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    contains Toluene,
    That stuff will put a gloss on ya turd. Not sold in many countries now. (neither is 1080............

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    thread resurrection like jesus:

bought one of the coleman atv seat pads for my DRZ400 plank, ride on saturday ~5H30m in the saddle with no major pains in the ass

Clipped onto the seat and pushed back on with very little movement/no slip (wasnt tested in rain however)

you can get it for around $60-70 delivered --- this seller on ebay has a pretty good deal at the moment (cheapest I could find):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Comf...3D251998353347

shipping takes about 2 weeks but tracking all the way with the ebay track service.

CHEAP OPTION well worth it.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by XP@ View Post
    Have to disagree with the gps... whilst not essential, and possibly usless on the trip it can save the conversation (note NOT necessarily phone call)
    "Hi, my mate fell off"
    "Where?"
    "Urr... on the hill"
    "Which hill"
    "Urr, the one on the way to blah"

Instead the conversation goes like this:
    "Hi, my mate fell off"
    "Where?"
    " 41° 6'34.02"S 174°53'31.46"E"
    "Ok, the chopper is on it's way"

The GPS is also a fun toy which you can use to auto document your adventure, especially if you are somewhat geeky in nature. or just have a bad memory.

So, if you have the room, carry it, just don't expect it to tell you which direction to go in (but the garmin V does a good job if you are on the road).
    That said though, I called 111 last year on Rangitoto island when someone else broke a leg.
    "Hello - I have someone who may have broken their leg on Rangitoto island"
    "OK, what is the address for the casualty?"
    "We are on Rangitoto island, in Auckland. I have GPS co-ordinates. I expect you will need a helicopter"
    "Can you give me a street address?"
    "No, there are no street addresses. It is an uninhabited island in the Auckland harbour."
    "How did you get there?"
    "I got a boat from Britomart"
    "So you don't have a street address?"
    "No. You will need a helicopter. I can give you GPS co-ordinates if you want?"
    "Just a moment...."
    a few minutes later
    "OK - helicopter on its way. Wave at it please"

Then last month, *555ing some wandering pigs that nearly turned into bacon somewhere out the back of russel "yeah, nah, we can't understand GPS stuff. What was the last road you passed?"

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Fark, you bring up a post from nearly 10 years ago and they still can't understand GPS! Frankly I'm stunned! If they spent more time working on actual safety rather than... rant rant rant...

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    That said though, I called 111 last year on Rangitoto island when someone else broke a leg.
    "Hello - I have someone who may have broken their leg on Rangitoto island"
    "OK, what is the address for the casualty?"
    "We are on Rangitoto island, in Auckland. I have GPS co-ordinates. I expect you will need a helicopter"
    "Can you give me a street address?"
    "No, there are no street addresses. It is an uninhabited island in the Auckland harbour."
    "How did you get there?"
    "I got a boat from Britomart"
    "So you don't have a street address?"
    "No. You will need a helicopter. I can give you GPS co-ordinates if you want?"
    "Just a moment...."
    a few minutes later
    "OK - helicopter on its way. Wave at it please"

Then last month, *555ing some wandering pigs that nearly turned into bacon somewhere out the back of russel "yeah, nah, we can't understand GPS stuff. What was the last road you passed?"
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    Bit of a boring one, mirrors.

I've been looking at some 'double take' mirrors, but for the same price as one of those, I can have two of these which are also 'ball mounted'.

https://www.fc-moto.de/Acerbis-Mirror-Rear-View-Left

Worth a punt I reckon.

Downside is they take up bar real estate. I only have one mount anyway that I could use a double take on, and as of yesterday that is about to snap off anyway so suits me alright. I actually almost bought a double take one locally this morning till I noticed it wasn't a clamp on.

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Ive got one that's very similar to the Acerbis your looking at. The down side to them seems to be that they are rather short & so mounted right way up you get a very good view of your arm.
    But if you mount it upside down you then get an unobstructed view (as in hanging down under the bars)
    The other thing is that if its mounted right way up then its almost impossible to keep it in position as the clamp is not really up to the job, & it vibrates like fuck. Upside down then there's less G force....
    I found that if I cut a 3mm thick piece of rubber into the right sized strip I could jam the fucker into the clamp & the mirror stays where you want it.
    Its good enough for a warrant & I can see a blur which I assume is traffic.
    Im happy enough with mine.....which I got from Thirdgear in OZ http://thirdgear.com.au/nylon-off-road-trail-mirrors/

Check out ebay or Amascone as they'll have a review from someone.

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Bit of a boring one, mirrors.

I've been looking at some 'double take' mirrors, but for the same price as one of those, I can have two of these which are also 'ball mounted'.

https://www.fc-moto.de/Acerbis-Mirror-Rear-View-Left

Worth a punt I reckon.

Downside is they take up bar real estate. I only have one mount anyway that I could use a double take on, and as of yesterday that is about to snap off anyway so suits me alright. I actually almost bought a double take one locally this morning till I noticed it wasn't a clamp on.
    Dont do it! I've had some (Acerbis) & they are worse than useless....
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    I haven't ordered em yet, crisis averted! Thanks for the feedback.

Damn, Acerbis stuff can be hit and miss though I guess.

Will take a nose at those tomorrow puddytat. Cheers. Don't mind tucking the elbows to see. I do it anyway because I had to on one of my other bikes.
    As for not being able to see due to vibration, I hear ya haha I pull the clutch in for a second when I need to see something a bit clearer.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    DoubleTake have the good glass, the curved stuff that gives a wide view behind and as such is less affected by vibration than cheap flat mirrors... that is LESS not NOT. There are many ways to attach the RAM ball mount at the Handlebar, there's the good old U clamps, there's ones that screw into your old mirror mounts, there's ones that replace the back half of your Clutch lever clamp or Front Brake Resovior/Lever clamp.
    Bought mine direct from the manufacturer (online) but now they are available at a couple of places but of course as most who know me know my favorite place to shop is now the MotoMox.
    There's a couple of reviews on the Doubletake now too at Remotemoto.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    There are many ways to attach the RAM ball mount at the Handlebar, there's the good old U clamps, there's ones that screw into your old mirror mounts, there's ones that replace the back half of your Clutch lever clamp or Front Brake Resovior/Lever clamp.
    What 'e said!

I've gone with Doubletake mirrors because they use the RAM mount system which opens up many options, I can even (very quickly and easily) remove a mirror and replace it with a camera or GPS.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    thread resurrection like jesus:

bought one of the coleman atv seat pads for my DRZ400 plank, ride on saturday ~5H30m in the saddle with no major pains in the ass

Clipped onto the seat and pushed back on with very little movement/no slip (wasnt tested in rain however)

you can get it for around $60-70 delivered --- this seller on ebay has a pretty good deal at the moment (cheapest I could find):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Comf...3D251998353347

shipping takes about 2 weeks but tracking all the way with the ebay track service.

CHEAP OPTION well worth it.
    Very nice, am picking up a road legal WR450 tomorrow and that looks like the bees knee, resurrection successful just like Jesus

PS, we could do matching seat cover rides as am in Auckland as well

Bike

Bike
    2003 XR650R, 1990 XTZ750
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Don't end up like these two munters
    Ha! Yes, nice one. It was a great series but should have been called "The long whine round". I've never heard so much sniveling - Charlie Boarmans Dakar was the same - catch phrase should have been "I'm so worried..."

Thread Information