Page 12 of 233 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    I suspect they would have to creep up A LOT to match the Conti... they're the most expensive thing out there pretty much, but your man would know. I haven't liked the TKC80s on a couple of bikes, the 640 included; I like the Pirelli MT21 better, even on the tar; it wins hands-down on the dirt and for value. But there are heaps out there, more so for your bike due to the sizes. Should be quite a few choices amongst the cheaper Asian brands.

One of the issues with the TKC80 is that you have to run them at low pressures to try to get some grip out of them... and that chews them out. Sound familiar?

A point on terminology; the T-series bits are Torx bits, different animal to Allen keys. These days you can get them anywhere.

I like the Pirellis and use 'em on my 640, but I'm not sure they'd be up to the demands of the 950 (particularly on the road). That's why I use TKC's.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    I inquired recently about Heidenau (German) motorcycle tyres in NZ. They were available in Aus, and seem like another good option for us. Three replys from different importers. Huh, Ummm, and Duh.
    Goodyear NZ had some info on them, but do not plan to get involved.
    Tis a frustrating game of hunt and fail sometimes in NZ.

Bike
    SuzukT-Series(All),BMWF650, 28 bikes ttl

Thumbs up Mitas anyone??

I have done 75,000km on my Funduro and 22,000km om my 650GS and have tried all sorts of tyres, but I am sold on Mitas. I get about 30% more life out of a rear than Trailwings and the TKs and I can't believe the grip on the open road. I was fourth out of 11 on the Sports Bike Forum Akaroa GP last year, and was the only single cylinder bike with the rest being fours. Not bad with knobblies eh? They are Czech made, and a popular choice with Round The World riders.
    Dirt Action Service 03-389 0080 32 Saxon St Linwood Christchurch are the local agents. Also, they are not expensive, usually about Trailwing price.
    Regards

Nigel in Rangiora
    --"Team Dear Liza Racing (There's a hole.....)"--
    Mission Statement: The shortest distance between two points is at the red line.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I like the Pirellis and use 'em on my 640, but I'm not sure they'd be up to the demands of the 950 (particularly on the road).
    Yes, the 950 is a bit of a problem for tyres. Have you tried the Dunlop D908 Rally Raid?

Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Dances With Poultry View Post
    I have done 75,000km on my Funduro and 22,000km om my 650GS and have tried all sorts of tyres, but I am sold on Mitas. I get about 30% more life out of a rear than Trailwings and the TKs and I can't believe the grip on the open road. I was fourth out of 11 on the Sports Bike Forum Akaroa GP last year, and was the only single cylinder bike with the rest being fours. Not bad with knobblies eh? They are Czech made, and a popular choice with Round The World riders.
    Dirt Action Service 03-389 0080 32 Saxon St Linwood Christchurch are the local agents. Also, they are not expensive, usually about Trailwing price.
    Regards

Nigel in Rangiora
    Which ones? I'm guessing E-07?

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    2006 BMW 650 Dakar
    Which model? E07?
    Global Warming - The ultimate system reboot to remove the human virus

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Standard on the DR.
    I didn't mind them at all but I was never pushing the bike hard in wet clay or mud.

Hell I wasn't pushing the bike hard anywhere, I'd only had it a few months.
    Yebbut 'Best at mixing road and off road' is the question.

I clear out on these things on the tar, confident enough to go flat out to get far enough ahead to take the ride-by photos.

They cope with dirt roads quite nicely. They aren't on the pace of the guys with TKCs at all and I drop off the back.

But for the ratio of road to off road that I do on a dual sport bike - an excellent compromise.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Which ones? I'm guessing E-07?

Cheers R
    Yep... here's a link to see the tread type:
    http://www.mands.cz/en/products/sort...yres/e-07.html

Regards

Nigel in Rangiora

Bike
    2006 BMW 650 Dakar
    Here is the link from Mitas. Good product description and a 'pop up' for application.

http://www.mitas.cz/index.php?stranka=4&scid=52

E07 appaers to be the 50/50 and by the look of the tread pattern the E09 looks to be closer to the TKC80. Anyone had any experience with the E09; that is if it is available here in NZ?
    Global Warming - The ultimate system reboot to remove the human virus

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    Yes, the 950 is a bit of a problem for tyres. Have you tried the Dunlop D908 Rally Raid?

No.
    Looks good. Any idea on price?

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint Sauce View Post
    E07 appaers to be the 50/50 and by the look of the tread pattern the E09 looks to be closer to the TKC80. Anyone had any experience with the E09; that is if it is available here in NZ?
    A few in CHCH have run E-09's. They seem to be like any other knobblie i.e. Dunlop D606 or Michi MT21. Possibly slightly better life but simply but not riding on the road so much (they are knobs after all) makes a significant difference i.e. hard to tell if actually get longer life). Price wise they are similar to the D606 or MT21 (all about $130ish). Dirt Action Service on Saxton Street sell them (when they can get them).

Another cheep 50/50ish tyre is the Shenko R244. Budget sell them for about $85 for a 17inch rear and they are good for about 6000kms. Hard to find pic of but there is one on this thread somewhere. Doh - Post 16

Cheers R
    Last edited by cooneyr; 23rd July 2007 at 12:56. Reason: Doh
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike

Thumbs up E-09 in stock

I just rang and the E-07 and E-09 are in stock at Dirt Action (see my post above for details), except the E-07 19in front are about 3 weeks away. The main man there uses them on his LC-4 and really rates them. Also LC-8 riders are using them. Reports of 14,000km to a rear are common (I get about 11-12,000km from E-07s, up from the 7-8,000 I was getting out of Trailwings). I had a couple of Dutch brothers stay with me who were getting 22,000km++ but they were travelling at about 75km/hr on DR600s around the world.

Cheers

Nigel in Rangiora
    Last edited by Dances With Poultry; 23rd July 2007 at 13:12. Reason: missed details

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Looks good. Any idea on price?
    Feedback from Aussie 950 riders is that they are more expensive to buy but last even longer, so are good value. Apparently they have a pretty stiff carcass, to the point that trail-side repairs could be an issue. Borderline too stiff/heavy for 640s (some raved about them, some thought them a bit much) but great for the 950s.

mickeyboy was trialling one on his 950 on the Brass Monkey Adventure.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    I just rang and the E-07 and E-09 are in stock at Dirt Action (see my post above for details), except the E-07 19in front are about 3 weeks away. The main man there uses them on his LC-4 and really rates them.
    Interesting, their E-09 130/80-18 is a 'big' one, about halfway between most 130/80s and the 140/80 the LC4 Adventure uses... so might be worth a try.
    Reports of 14,000km to a rear are common
    Comments like that I take with a grain of salt The Kenda K270 was reported to go 16,000km on XR600s locally; I got just 4,500km out it, which matched expectations from 'documented' usage. There is not a shitshow in hell that I'll ever get 16,000km out of that tyre, and I have serious doubts that someone can get nigh on four times the life out of it that I can, in roughly similar usage.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Yebbut 'Best at mixing road and off road' is the question.

I clear out on these things on the tar, confident enough to go flat out to get far enough ahead to take the ride-by photos.

They cope with dirt roads quite nicely. They aren't on the pace of the guys with TKCs at all and I drop off the back.

But for the ratio of road to off road that I do on a dual sport bike - an excellent compromise.
    Mine were half worn when I got the bike and I was running them in the mid to low 20's.
    If the bike shop had had some on the shelf I would have grabbed them.
    They were great for the riding I was doing.

Thread Information