Page 20 of 233 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    the E09s
    btw I paid $143 then $147 for the Pirelli MT21 140/80-18; the Mitas E-09 130/80-18 is $160. It'd want to be pretty damn good and long-lived to be worth the extra money over the MT21, particularly as it is one size smaller (although stated as nearly the same diameter). I thought the Mitas' were supposed to be cheap?! Although I suppose it is vs. the Michelin Desert 140/80-18 (from which it is cloned) at $199.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    btw I paid $143 then $147 for the Pirelli MT21 140/80-18; the Mitas E-09 130/80-18 is $160. It'd want to be pretty damn good and long-lived to be worth the extra money over the MT21, particularly as it is one size smaller (although stated as nearly the same diameter). I thought the Mitas' were supposed to be cheap?! Although I suppose it is vs. the Michelin Desert 140/80-18 (from which it is cloned) at $199.
    I fit my own, paying $130 (I think) and $140 (I'm sure) now here at Dirt Action. The price jumped $10 with last shipment, something about freight charges. Suspect on road the E09 is better than MT21, off road the MT21 may have it. Life comparson I can't be sure, wouldn't expect much in it, E09 may last a few k longer?
    I wasn't fond of the MT21 rear, but mine was half worn and came with the bike.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    I fit my own, paying $130 (I think) and $140 (I'm sure) now here at Dirt Action.
    That's for a 17" isn't it?
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    That's for a 17" isn't it?
    Yep - your one of the few weirdos (read KTM riders) with a 18" rear on an ADV style bike. There has to be at least one downside to owing at KTM

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Yep - your one of the few weirdos (read KTM riders) with a 18" rear on an ADV style bike.
    The weird thing is that when I had an adventure bike with 17" wheels, the tyre people always said I had limited choice because it had roadie-sized wheels, if it had proper dirt-bike sized 18" rims there'd be more choice... can't win!
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Yep - your one of the few weirdos (read KTM riders) with a 18" rear on an ADV style bike. There has to be at least one downside to owing at KTM

Cheers R
    You got to be joking.
    I have used DOT approved knobblies (Pirelli MT21) on both on my KTM's.
    Much cheaper...

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    You got to be joking.
    I have used DOT approved knobblies (Pirelli MT21) on both on my KTM's.
    Much cheaper...
    Yep

But it does seem like there is more choice for Dot knobbies in 17" if you read Warewolf's mumblings on the subject.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 2003

tiger tyres

Hi,
    Just ordered some mitas EO7's for my triumph tiger today. Seems the man in PN now has a range of EO7 tyres in the larger sizes so looking forward to fitting and seeing how they go over the summer.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    But it does seem like there is more choice for Dot knobbies in 17" if you read Warewolf's mumblings on the subject.
    Different choices. The bulk of this thread is from riders of 17"-reared machines trying to find cheaper tyres from 2nd-tier mainland Asian (or former communist state) manufacturers... and they just don't do the bigger size to suit the 640. The Asians think that a 250cc v-twin is a "big bike".

On top of that, there isn't enough demand for the bigger sizes in NZ, so even if they do make a tyre in the right size, the NZ distributors don't bring it in to the country - such as the Vee Rubber knock-off of the Pirelli MT21.

Conversely, some of the good Euro tyres are only available in the size to suit the 640, most of the Euros at least have one that fits.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries

Question Adv tyres for kannys Volty.

Heres one out of left field for you.

The Volty is starting to do some gravel runs, and I'm looking for suitable tyres.

Front is an 18" rim that will suit approx 90/90, or 3.00 rubber.

Rear is a 17" rim suitable for 120/90 or 4.50.

Looking for something like a Trail Wing, but finding a 18" front is challenging. A TKC 90/90-18 would be the "ducks nuts". does such a thing live in NZ?

I was the same - used to moan about the lack of good tyres in 17'',I longed for a good old 18'' rear wheel.Then when I did get a bike with an 18'' rear wheel I was shocked at the lack of DOT rubber in 18''.

I am really impressed with this MT17 21'' tyre,I don't use the XT off road,but it sure leaves a a good tyre track in mud.I've only used it on gravel and seal,it's totally planted in gravel,I have total confidence in it.I was worried about how it was going to work on seal.....I like it because of the supported edge knobs,but it goes off the edge with 35mm chicken strips on the rear.But no problems,feels great,although it wobbles around a bit at the start of the ride,then I just forget about it.....get on the gas early is the best way to ride with a front knob.

Just saw your post Tri boy - you can get a TKC80 in 4.00 x 18 - it's not a rear tread pattern,looks more like a front tyre.4in is not too far away from 90mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB240013.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	79228  

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    I have a Pirelli MT-90 ($130) on the back of my bike and the OE Cheng-Shin on the front.
    The Pirelli is brilliant, done 1500kms of mixed riding on it so far, but mainly seal where it excels.
    On seal it works awesome, heats up and grips really well.
    On gravel it is skittish unless the bike has some weight on the rear.
    And today, I tested it in the mud, was all over the show, but it gripped in the clay enough for me.
    The C-S on the front is great in the gravel and mud, grips great.
    Lacks grip on the seal, but any knobbly would, I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever wear out, 5500 kms and still HEAPS of tread!
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the input guys.
    The 18" x 3.00 is the sticky one to find. I want kanny to feel comfortable on gravel as much as possible, so a fairly aggressive front is what i'm after.
    Mich Sirac do an 18" but not as aggressive as i want.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    It's gravel mate, not mud shes wanting to do aye?!
    The thing is unless you want to change the front back to a road tyre, a less aggresive knobbly might be the go so she can still be confident in the handling on the road aswell.
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    katzuki
    Shinko SR244? Is made in 300 x18 size. Cheap too!
    Don't know whether they are stocked in NZ though.

http://www.shinkotire.co.kr/english/...ode=AA00050045

Thread Information