Page 226 of 233 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,390 of 3486

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Aww go on, I'll hold your beer!

I'm a cheap date and like a bit of wind on the ole whistle so any excuse

Happy New Year man!
    You too Tazz mate....

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Many interesting photos come through with the RemoteMoto tyre reviews but this review photo from NickW on the Heidenau K60 Scout is a classic!! Great review and great photo NickW

Review link: Heidenau K60 Scout

Over 800 New Zealand adventure riding routes www.remotemoto.com

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Interesting, but there is an inherent problem with tyre reviews like these (and it is no reflection on the great website) - it depends on what the writers definition of expressions like "off road" are, and also the bike it's being used on.

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Interesting, but there is an inherent problem with tyre reviews like these (and it is no reflection on the great website) - it depends on what the writers definition of expressions like "off road" are, and also the bike it's being used on.
    And the type of rider they are and the exp they have had ect.

Perhaps if they untied that cat they might find the tyre a bit more quiet on the road lol.

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Hi Oscar, you have isolated two key variables that presented a significant challenge when developing the RemoteMoto tyre reviewer.

Tyres will most certainly differ in performance/longevity based on both bike and rider. Developing code to counteract this is feasible however it would result in an overcomplicated system that would be unpleasant to use.

Huge amounts of time and development went into this tyre reviewer (even though it may seem very simple on the surface) to provide a system that is easy for a rider to review a tyre, and equally as easy for a rider to read these reviews.

The reviews intentionally display the rider and the rider’s bike for two reasons:

Firstly, you can see what type of bike they are using and if this is a similar machine to what you ride (noting riders can place multiple reviews if they own various sizes/types of bikes). This way you get more of an accurate picture of how the tyre will perform on your bike.

Secondly, you can see who the rider is so if you know their riding style is similar to yours, then this is a good indication that it will likely perform/last similarly.

The main drive behind building the RemoteMoto tyre reviewer was that I looooove trying out new tyres but wading through hundreds of pages on forums proved a cumbersome way for me to find out how a tyre performs and if it is worth trying. No one wants to shell out for a tyre that is no good for their riding style/bike or worse yet, part with hard eared money for a lemon. Although forums are a great medium to extract information from other riders, it is very time sensitive regarding who is online and available to post in that small window while the post is “fresh”.

After spending over 15 years as a programmer I can confidently say there is no perfect solution to a tyre reviewer to correctly address all bike types and all rider styles however the RemoteMoto tyre reviewer is as close as it gets while still remaining simple and easy to use.

What will help increase the accuracy of the RemoteMoto tyre reviewer is if everyone joined in and reviewed their tyres. This will help build a large knowledge base to draw from.

So here is an open invitation for everyone to share with me and the 800 RemoteMoto members/riders your reviews on the tyres you ride with.

Reviewing a tyre is dead easy plus you get RemoteMoto points that you can use to unlock routes. I really enjoy reading other riders' reviews, if you’re interested click here to review a tyre
    Over 800 New Zealand adventure riding routes www.remotemoto.com

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Michelin new version of the big block knobbly....

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products...l-sport-tires/
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E

that looks great, might get one on shortly, as I hate my KAroo 3

Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    Michelin new version of the big block knobbly....

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products...l-sport-tires/
    Rider, bike power, bike weight and terrain all are factors for sure, and I think we know that. I rode a Karoo 3 in aussie on GS1200 and it went through mud, sand, hard pack rock etc and I was impressed, so when back in NZ...I put one on my 690 as a tyre generally for slabbing it and gravel stuff. The tyre is fine on the road and great in the corners, but off road and especially gravel...I hate it with a passion. Under acceleration it struggles to hook up, and under fast breaking into corners it's even worse as it slides out far more than I expected...I think this is where the chevron-esk pattern isn't working as you are effectiveyl expecting to work in the opposite direction.

I'm currently thrashing the shit out of it, so I can bin it, and about to go back to my MT21 as well as the Mitas E09....BUT now seeing this wild, I might check it. One thing for sure, 690 needs knobs...well for the way I like to ride
    ...back in the saddle, and getting a little!

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by vegeman View Post
    Rider, bike power, bike weight and terrain all are factors for sure, and I think we know that. I rode a Karoo 3 in aussie on GS1200 and it went through mud, sand, hard pack rock etc and I was impressed, so when back in NZ...I put one on my 690 as a tyre generally for slabbing it and gravel stuff. The tyre is fine on the road and great in the corners, but off road and especially gravel...I hate it with a passion. Under acceleration it struggles to hook up, and under fast breaking into corners it's even worse as it slides out far more than I expected...I think this is where the chevron-esk pattern isn't working as you are effectiveyl expecting to work in the opposite direction.

I'm currently thrashing the shit out of it, so I can bin it, and about to go back to my MT21 as well as the Mitas E09....BUT now seeing this wild, I might check it. One thing for sure, 690 needs knobs...well for the way I like to ride
    Never tried a karoo3 rear, but I really really rate the front. Ran it at 15psi for the dustybutt last weekend and it was even better, even on the road.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Gone
    Happy with the MotoZ Tractionator's on my 690 so far. Haven't tried them in the wet though.
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    Cycletreads seem to be getting out of the Kendas

For that matter their whole range of road legal knobblies seems to be a bit lacking at the minute.

Bike
    BMW F 650GS

Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Has anyone had the hidenau k60 scouts sand/mud? I've got 3000k on mine so far and there are great, factory claims 13000k rear 15000k front, wet or dry, mud & sand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Saarg View Post
    Has anyone had the hidenau k60 scouts sand/mud? I've got 3000k on mine so far and there are great, factory claims 13000k rear 15000k front, wet or dry, mud & sand

On my second k60 scout rear. First one would have got to 6000kms just. Happy with that. Now my rear of choice.

Bike
    BMW F 650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    On my second k60 scout rear. First one would have got to 6000kms just. Happy with that. Now my rear of choice.
    NICE, how much off Tarmac? I've done about 800k so far

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Saarg View Post
    NICE, how much off Tarmac? I've done about 800k so far

Probly 60/40 Tarmac. My new one was put on just prior to the dustybutt and has now done exactly 3000kms and isn't quite half worn so should be the same by the looks of it. Was running a lot lower pressures this time though.

Bike
    BMW F 650GS

Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Probly 60/40 Tarmac. My new one was put on just prior to the dustybutt and has now done exactly 3000kms and isn't quite half worn so should be the same by the looks of it. Was running a lot lower pressures this time though.
    Well worth the penny spent I think
    I'm running 38psi rear & 32 front. Enough twitch on metal roads for the way I ride, any higher and it feels like I'm on ice

Thread Information