Page 227 of 233 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 3486

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by Saarg View Post
    Well worth the penny spent I think
    I'm running 38psi rear & 32 front. Enough twitch on metal roads for the way I ride, any higher and it feels like I'm on ice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    These pressures seem a bit high.....My MAX pressure to pop the bead is 41psi rear cold on the shinkos.

90/90 21 front and 150/70/17 rear

Manual rec running psi are 22 front and 25 rear cold.....Ive tried running more but found too much and tyre life ride stability in wet and traction in gravel all affected.

By the looks of your photos you may not be seeing the 13 to 15k claimed by the makers if your only 3k in at the moment.

Personal choice but wow psi rear when the rear tyre is hot must be 40psi plus.

Bike
    BMW F 650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post
    These pressures seem a bit high.....My MAX pressure to pop the bead is 41psi rear cold on the shinkos.

90/90 21 front and 150/70/17 rear

Manual rec running psi are 22 front and 25 rear cold.....Ive tried running more but found too much and tyre life ride stability in wet and traction in gravel all affected.

By the looks of your photos you may not be seeing the 13 to 15k claimed by the makers if your only 3k in at the moment.

Personal choice but wow psi rear when the rear tyre is hot must be 40psi plus.
    Thanks, that would explain why I'm seeing micro cracks, pressure is shooting up on hot road with hot rubber
    Will have a play around with the pressures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by Saarg View Post
    Thanks, that would explain why I'm seeing micro cracks, pressure is shooting up on hot road with hot rubber
    Will have a play around with the pressures

Tis welcome and all learning stew......Just so dam much for bike rubber compared to cars and me being a tight OCD laced c**t I have obsessed over the tyre thing far too much.

Shinko 804/805s here just scrubbed in road manners are great and off is even better so far.See how we go on kms.
    Good kms reviews on the net but then anything was better than the stock trailwings.....4k and done wtf...

$230 a set....trademe.trader...Thomasbt.....aka Kiwi motorcycle rentals Amberley...

Bike
    BMW F 650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post
    Tis welcome and all learning stew......Just so dam much for bike rubber compared to cars and me being a tight OCD laced c**t I have obsessed over the tyre thing far too much.

Shinko 804/805s here just scrubbed in road manners are great and off is even better so far.See how we go on kms.
    Good kms reviews on the net but then anything was better than the stock trailwings.....4k and done wtf...

$230 a set....trademe.trader...Thomasbt.....aka Kiwi motorcycle rentals Amberley...

Totally,
    Couldn't agree more, Mine had trail wings on from the dealer, but there on the shelf at the moment and they probably have another 2-3000k left in them, but the hidenau had high reviews, this set works really good so far. On and off Road, wet and dry.
    I looked at a better tyre after a post on thumper talk I read claimed that the trailwing, had been started to be called the 'deathwing' Due to there lack of feel in the corners at speed, and no traction in snow, heavy wet conditions I found them ok, as Long as it was dry, and not too rocky off road and was able to lean them right down to the tyre edge on road at 100kph and higher.

Will definitely be looking at those pressures though, cheers

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    if you're doing lots of offroading, those MotOZ S/T? tires are great and CHEAP being from aussie but premium quality, muricans pay 2x what we pay! ---- the front has done 2500 mostly on pavement/hardpack and still looks good with sharp enough corners -- hooks up SWEEEEET though I suspect better on smaller/lighter bikes (great on the DRZ anyway)

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    I am running K60's on my CL400-prolly 80% tarseal-22F-25R which might be a tad low for road-14F-17R for offroad.-I really like them,came with good rep,and hard to find a tyre in my rim size.They did seem to wear quite fast initially,but this settled down after 1000K.A warning-don't try and fit the fronts at home unless you have a proper set up,pay to have them fitted.

Bike
    BMW F 650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I am running K60's on my CL400-prolly 80% tarseal-22F-25R which might be a tad low for road-14F-17R for offroad.-I really like them,came with good rep,and hard to find a tyre in my rim size.They did seem to wear quite fast initially,but this settled down after 1000K.A warning-don't try and fit the fronts at home unless you have a proper set up,pay to have them fitted.
    Yeah, the tyre guy had a hard time getting mine on too, something about there supposed to be put on warm?!?

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Warm is right-I had the Mrs hair drier poked up inside the side walls and on full for half hour and still struggled-I think the side wall construction is super tough hence the reason.

Bike
    BMW F 650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Warm is right-I had the Mrs hair drier poked up inside the side walls and on full for half hour and still struggled-I think the side wall construction is super tough hence the reason.
    One time I thought my pressure gauge had broken, after a full day in the dirt and sand stopped at the petrol station to put road pressure back in the tyres and found zero psi in the front tyre.
    I think I was lucky that were that hard.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I just removed the Kenda 770 knobbly from the rear so I could put on a new Mitas E07, fuck me that tyre was hard to get off.
    I wont be doing that again, next time I'll take it to a bike shop to have them take the tyre off for me.
    I remember the tyre to be a bitch to put on, but it was about 5 times as hard to remove!

What I really need is a 2nd DR350 18" cush drive wheel, then I can mount a tyre on each one (or pay someone to mount the tyres for me) and leave the fuckers on 'til they wear out.
    I'd also love a 2nd DR650 21" front wheel for the same reason.
    I'll have to keep my eyes out for 2nd hand wheels!
    I'd add the Tubliss system to each wheel as well, it wouldn't be expensive enough otherwise!

I am thinking that after I wear out the E07 tyres I'll consider the Shinko E-805/E-804 tyres as a possible 'do it all' option for less tyre swapping.
    I've been reading good things about performance on and off road along with decent tyre life and at a good price.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I must say, after removing the Kenda the Mitas was downright easy to put on. I'd happily mount my own Mitas tyres but a local bike shop can handle any Kenda tyres from now on.
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Does anyone know anything about the IRC GP-21F & GP-22R tyres?
    I have a new one of each in the garage because the local bike shop had some to shift and sold me both tyres for $100 total.
    I have near new E07 tyres on the bike and didn't need more tyres right now, but at $100 for both . . . yeah, couldn't pass that up.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    What would you put on a KDX 200? I plan to ride to and from Akaroa on friday's to avoid being stuck behind campervans, but then thrash it round the waimak in silt mud and dirt? I was considering the AC10's but should I look at the shinko's?

Bike
    Klx250s
    I just fitted 705s to my Klx
    Bloody good on The road and gravel
    Not expecting too much on dirt tho.
    The 805s might suit you??

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    805's are had to beat for the $ and they last well on road, good in gravel and not bad in grass/mud

Thread Information