Page 9 of 233 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    On the subject of tyres.. I have pirelli scorpions on my crm & will never find the edge on tarmac, great in the wet too. They are standard on multistradas, ducati hypersports & the ktm super duke thingy. Any thoughts on how they would go on my tdm? If anybody has advise on importing bikes from the uk to nz I would be glad to here it. I'm a bit thick, how do you post a question? p.s. The tt was unbelievable, Anstey & Harris must be bonkers.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4

Question

Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I have pirelli scorpions on my crm & will never find the edge on tarmac, great in the wet too. They are standard on multistradas, ducati hypersports & the ktm super duke thingy.
    Which Scorpion would that be then:

Scorpion Sync

Scorpion MT90 S/T

Scorpion MT90 A/T

Scorpion PRO

All of which are, ahem, significantly different tyres, targeting different types of bike and rim sizes.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    how do you post a question?
    Go to the appropriate forum, at the top is a button, "New Thread". Each topic/question is called a thread.

Have a look in the Site Stuff forum, there may be useful info in there. I haven't read much in there, anyone else knows better, please speak up.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    OK, I've decided I will try a Metz Enduro 3(sahara) on the rear. Unfortunately I can't get a 19'' front, so I'm still at loss for a front. (can get a Metz Karoo T 110/80, but would like a 100/90, woh is me ).
    At lest the wider blocks may help to slow the fat beast on gravel (slow in fast out).
    We shall see. Has anyone noticed the lack of stock, tyre wise in NZ.
    Aussie seem to be awash with choices. OK, Rant over.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    so what do they cost?
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Hey Triboy what's happening?

A mate of mine has been on the hunt for those saharas for his dakar, he hasn't been able to find them. Where did you get those rears?

I hear you about the 19" front, I keep hearing there are not that many options out there for on/off. Maybe give cycletreads a call and check what they got...?

later,
    Windboy.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Hamilton m/cycles had one Sahara on the rack. Managed to get it for $185, which was very nice of them.
    As for the front, they had a 100/80 TKC front, but I think I will try to stay on the original profiles for a while.(100/90). Thinking about either a Metz Karoo, for a bit more bite, or getting the grooving tool off a mate and slightly opening the the Trailwing block gaps.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    OK, I've decided I will try a Metz Enduro 3(sahara) on the rear. Unfortunately I can't get a 19'' front, so I'm still at loss for a front. (can get a Metz Karoo T 110/80, but would like a 100/90, woh is me ).
    At lest the wider blocks may help to slow the fat beast on gravel (slow in fast out).
    The Saharas aren't a bad tyre, years ago they were reputed to be the tyre of choice for many RTW riders. Kinda expensive though not as bad as the TKC80s. Original equipment on the Adventure. Didn't rate them in the loose stuff at all, TKC80s are much better (but MT21s better again, and cheaper).

Re: the sizing, you may find that matching the model of the rear tyre but varying the profile a little from 100/90 may well be a better combo than the other way 'round.

Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Has anyone noticed the lack of stock, tyre wise in NZ.
    Aussie seem to be awash with choices.
    All the time! Although Cycletreads in Nelson seem to do pretty well.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the imput warewolf.
    I will be fitting a TKC 110/80 ($190 old stock).
    Was informed that Metz distributors are expecting Karoos in NZ in about 5weeks.
    So will get a 100/90 for future fitment. This is more a tyre experiment for the Scrambler, so each tyre is being changed at 50% wear, thus giving me some back up if a choice I make is a total clanger.
    Havn't heard back from the Mitas bloke, so no money for him. A little bit of customer support goes a long way with me.

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    Re Mitas - last I heard the next shipment is still weeks away - I'm waiting for EO7 100/90 19" front

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by XF650 View Post
    Re Mitas - last I heard the next shipment is still weeks away - I'm waiting for EO7 100/90 19" front
    I've been waiting for 3 months now.
    But...
    I do like the IRC GP21 front.
    The E07 is better on the road but the IRC is fine on road and better off.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Yay, Got both tyres on the scrambler. So this will be interesting to watch wear rates etc. For the record: Rear has a Metz 130/80-17, 9.mm lug height. Front is a Conti TKC80 110/80-19 (slightly wider than the std 100/90).
    First Impression is that the front holds its line on gravel under power with the arse hanging out Very confidence inspiring. No real comment on the rear as yet.
    I gave it a bit of a strop in the back section on very wet grass. Quite low speed turns were very stable, but under power it started to get a bit restless.
    Even though I brake cleaned the slimey surface, and scuffed the lugs with emery paper, I will be a bit of a nanna until they have got some KMs under them.
    Fitted at 5000km, so I can monitor wear.
    Oh, the mudguard extension does a good job keeping crap out of the cooler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007_0626Scrambler0001.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	64535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007_0626Scrambler0002.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	64536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007_0626Scrambler0003.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	64537  

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    looking very styley triboy, should hold well in the gravel too.

Do you mind me asking how much for the front tkc?

Also, have you decided if you're heading down with us?

later,
    Windboy.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by windboy View Post
    looking very styley triboy, should hold well in the gravel too.

Do you mind me asking how much for the front tkc?

Also, have you decided if you're heading down with us?

later,
    TKC was $190 ex H/mcycles. It was on the shelf, so it may be a bit cheaper than usual buy in prices, although Road and Sport said they could get themfor about $190-200, but i don't think it would of arrived in time.
    Certainly attending the Whanga ride.
    If the weather is fine on Fri I will meet you guys at Kauri flat like last time. Otherwise I will see you in Raglan, hiding out of any weather I will PM Crisis and yourself to confirm mobile # tonight.

Bike
    KTM990 / TLR200 / KLX250S

Smile

I've done 3k on the TKC 80's on my GS, 110/19 front and 140/17 on the back. They work very very well, wear rate is about the same as the bridgestones but performance on every surface is way way better.
    Went for an oversized rear, I wa a bit apprehensive for a bit, but no drama's at all. And it looks a lot better with fatter rubber on the rear

Thread Information