Page 62 of 233 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    I've used the E-09's for about two years and have been impressed with grip and wear.
    I'm gunna try the T63 this weekend, but on a totally different bike.
    If it is a shit tyre(which i doubt), then MXNUT is shouting free tyres for life for all adv riders
    (I jest Mark)
    I'd be interested in your thoughts on that as I'm gonna need tyre on the 625 shortly. I forgot to ask earlier, did you bring your new scoot around the other day? I got a less than accurate message from number 2 son about someone fitting your description turning up when I was out at Footy.....

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I'd be interested in your thoughts on that as I'm gonna need tyre on the 625 shortly. I forgot to ask earlier, did you bring your new scoot around the other day? I got a less than accurate message from number 2 son about someone fitting your description turning up when I was out at Footy.....
    Yup. Me and Dino popped in. #2 son was quite amused by the names he needed to try and remember.
    Going by the weather updates, I think the T63 is a good choice. I'll be slip sliding anyway on the tall bush pig. i've started taking abseiling lessons so I can dismount easier

Bike
    Husqvarna 701E - WR250F - Can Am 500

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    I'm gunna try the T63 this weekend, but on a totally different bike.
    If it is a shit tyre(which i doubt), then MXNUT is shouting free tyres for life for all adv riders
    (I jest Mark)
    Yup no problem, you can have all my old slicks when i have finished with them
    FREE FOR LIFE
    Here for a good time, not necessarily a long time

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

What is the price, bestest price for these Mark?

I see 130/80/18 is the biggest they go for rear...
    I could do that for the Husaberg...

Bike
    01 DRZ400, 92 r100GSPD
    I've just put a deestone rear on the 640 for the morelys 6hr enduro on sunday, haven't run it yet but will report back next week. in the mean time i thought some of the more offroad guys might also be interested in them also.
    http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...oad_tyres.aspx
    KiwiSafariTeam
    GO BRO GO

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Lander View Post
    So what is the verdict then between the T63 and the E-09? On line they look damn similar, but is there a difference in wear/performance when on the bike?

Whose tried both?
    I have tried both. T63 performs better and lasts about the same.
    Go back a few pages and you will see some feedback
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

Not DOT are they...

Quote Originally Posted by topo View Post
    I've just put a deestone rear on the 640 for the morelys 6hr enduro on sunday, haven't run it yet but will report back next week. in the mean time i thought some of the more offroad guys might also be interested in them also.
    would you ride on the road for a short time too? Nice and cheap....
    I guess the knobs could break off on the Tar....BUT would be okay for metal I suppose?

Bike
    01 DRZ400, 92 r100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by NZKTM View Post
    would you ride on the road for a short time too? Nice and cheap....
    I guess the knobs could break off on the Tar....BUT would be okay for metal I suppose?

It'll definately get a run on the road, i've had a KIWIX mx rear on for the last 700km (almost toast now) and it goes as well on the road as the E09 I had previous to that.

I've now given up spending huge amounts of money on "dual purpose" tires, I now run mx tires as i don't find they slow me down much on the seal, are great on gravel of all kinds and ROCK off road! If i can get 800km out of a $65 mx tire it's better value to me than spending $140-$2xx for an E09/TKC which i still only get 2-4000km from.
    KiwiSafariTeam
    GO BRO GO

Bike
    Agent Orange
    Yep, wot 'e said. Most DOT knobblies seem to ride fine on the tar, and they're cheap. You've just gotta respect them in the wet, but then again, I don't do rain.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by topo View Post
    I put Deestone 4.60x17 on the back of the KLR for the CCA ride last year. It was quite ok on sealed roads (dry) and great in the dirt. I've used it for a few other dirt rides as well, hardly any wear at all, no knobs torn off yet. At $65 cant be beat. Only problem - the sidewalls are really stiff, it was a bastard to put it on the wheel.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    I've finished with my E07 now after 11800 km ,was in town on the weekend and thinking about nipping out to check out the 6 hour when I noticed a couple of bits of canvas showing so I snuck off home instead .
    Incase anyone wants to know ,from first seeing the canvas to wearing through the first layer and part through the second takes 120 km .
    Apart from being skint the reason it was still on the bike is because it was still working really well on our hard packed gravel /clay roads and seal ,even the offroad stuff if it wasnt mud.
    While on the E07 subject ,how do they go on the front (nordie?) I have a lot of faith in the TKC80 but will be looking at a newie for the DB and there's quite a price diferential I believe (and if I put an E07 on I'll have a matched pair for the first time ever)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SV400335.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	144408

Bike
    2007 KLR 650 ( The original Model )

Thumbs up IRC GP110R - Wear on Seal

Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    I've finished with my E07 now after 11800 km ,was in town on the weekend and thinking about nipping out to check out the 6 hour when I noticed a couple of bits of canvas showing so I snuck off home instead .
    Incase anyone wants to know ,from first seeing the canvas to wearing through the first layer and part through the second takes 120 km .
    Hi all,

attached is a shot of my IRC GP110R 5.10 S17 after about 7000kms of ( sneakily looking over his shoulder for ) er, HARD road use on seal over winter, went on a couple of short 200km round the block runs the other weekend and my mate said, oops, seems like you're up for a new tyre, better take a look

Very happy with the grip on seal, as my youtube video can testify.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZwHNaAgiH0

Can't remember the exact price for the replacement from Cycletreads ( have had it sitting here for a few months now ) but believe it's good value for the $$$
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IRCGP110Wear4345-280909.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	144418  
    My KLR thinks it's a Hyundai - running happily at the red-line hour after hour.....

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    While on the E07 subject ,how do they go on the front (nordie?) I have a lot of faith in the TKC80 but will be looking at a newie for the DB and there's quite a price diferential I believe (and if I put an E07 on I'll have a matched pair for the first time ever)
    Nowt wrong with the front one.
    Same good compound and went fine up Mt Pat in the snow.
    Grips in all the same situations the rear does.

The only reason I'd put my beloved MT21 back on the front is if I was going for a long ride >90% off road.
    The E-07 will do it fine otherwise.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Nowt wrong with the front one.
    Same good compound and went fine up Mt Pat in the snow.
    Grips in all the same situations the rear does.

The only reason I'd put my beloved MT21 back on the front is if I was going for a long ride >90% off road.
    The E-07 will do it fine otherwise.
    I had a set (Mitas EO7's) put onto the TransAlp way back and they actually put the front one on back to front. (rotation)

Had to do a couple of K of mixed riding before I could change it and to my surprise, I actually preferred it's performance the wrong way around!

Bike
    01 DRZ400, 92 r100GSPD
    After the 6hr enduro last weekend from new this is how the Deestone rear (140/18) looked like.

Really impressed me given its $65 price tag, the front Inova from torpeedo7 (superX model) is absolute rubbish on the hard pack that i've ridden on since fitting it..... better than a tkc or E09 front but shite by off road tire standards.
    KiwiSafariTeam
    GO BRO GO

Thread Information