Page 221 of 233 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,315 of 3486

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    Anyone used the Kenda K770D rear on road?

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    heres a cheapie for someone...with winter looming and all

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-863675039.htm
    I've been thinking (since my 42nd traverse ride with adventureridingnz guys) that I really need to learn to change my own tyres and that I should have some aggressive knobbly tyres for trips where I will be doing challenging off-road tracks like the 42nd traverse or old Whangamomona road.

What I'm thinking is that a tyre like mentioned - 2nd hand for $10, that could be a good option to spoon on and go do a fun trail. Upon returning from that trip it would pay to re-mount a 50/50 tyre or an older tyre that is no longer good for proper offroading.

So, how do you guys handle the very challenging range of requirements from your dual sport tyres? Aggressive knobbly tyres might be just the ticket on an off-road track but surely you can't ride much sealed roads with them before they aren't knobbly enough any more. I'm almost thinking that I would have liked to strap a tyre (particularly a rear) to the bike and changed it once I got to Taumarunui, then changed back for the ride home - does anyone do this?
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    I did one Kcr ride through there on a Mitchy s12 rear, being a mx tyre it was easy to get on and off
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    So, how do you guys handle the very challenging range of requirements from your dual sport tyres? Aggressive knobbly tyres might be just the ticket on an off-road track but surely you can't ride much sealed roads with them before they aren't knobbly enough any more. I'm almost thinking that I would have liked to strap a tyre (particularly a rear) to the bike and changed it once I got to Taumarunui, then changed back for the ride home - does anyone do this?
    I have three sets of rims, but unless you want full MX knobblies more aggressive tyres don't wear or ride as bad as you would think so I rarely swap between.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    I have three sets of rims, but unless you want full MX knobblies more aggressive tyres don't wear or ride as bad as you would think so I rarely swap between.
    How long would my $10 tyre last?

At that price it isn't a huge deal, but wouldn't mind keeping the knobbly tyre gripping well off-road for as long as possible.
    I picked it up from Drury and it was pretty easy to strap it to the bike.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    How long would my $10 tyre last?

At that price it isn't a huge deal, but wouldn't mind keeping the knobbly tyre gripping well off-road for as long as possible.
    I picked it up from Drury and it was pretty easy to strap it to the bike.
    I'm just about to pull mine off after a bit over 3000k I think. I didn't really keep close track though to be honest. It wore to 2/3rd or 1/2 wayish pretty fast then has taken ages to go through the last bit as a run around tyre. I actually took an AC10 to Chch with me to swap it out on Monday but left it there as there was still more than enough to get home It's only good for gravel and slab now though.
    Local dude used to run them on his beamer.

I would love to replace it with the same again but cycletreads are still out of stock in my size and moto-zone or whatever it's called want $30 bucks more so AC10 it is.
    Last edited by Tazz; 11th April 2015 at 18:14. Reason: motozone matched the price, wooo!

Bike
    Dog Rooter

Free pair Mitas E-09's (17 & 19)

If anyone wants a fairly well worn pair of E-09's for free, 140/80-17 and 100/90-19, just let me know. I wouldn't tackle much more than gravel on this set myself, but there's a bit of wear left in them.

Bike
    Several old ones
    Had Anakee 2 on my R1150GS they were great on the road, Ok on packed dirt roads, I put a TKC80 on the front, found it quite a good compromise with the Anakee on the back. It was much better in the dirt as the front felt planted, and didnt slide out anymore, it was also very good on the road, never had an issue except when it started to wear and it gave a funny sound , bit like Land Rover tyres. The TKC80s do not last long on the back of big BMW bikes with high torque, some mates where only getting 4000 kms or less.
    Anakees will easily do 10000km. They way I ride anyway.
    Have Metzler Tourances on the front of the 1200 at the moment, I rate them as good as the Anakee's for road roading.

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    Had Anakee 2 on my R1150GS they were great on the road, Ok on packed dirt roads, I put a TKC80 on the front, found it quite a good compromise with the Anakee on the back. It was much better in the dirt as the front felt planted, and didnt slide out anymore, it was also very good on the road, never had an issue except when it started to wear and it gave a funny sound , bit like Land Rover tyres. The TKC80s do not last long on the back of big BMW bikes with high torque, some mates where only getting 4000 kms or less.
    Have Metzler Tourances on the front of the 1200 at the moment, I rate them as good as the Anakee's for road roading.
    4000km on a rear TKC???
    You lucky bastid....

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Well I've been really happy with the performance of the Michelin Pilot Powers on tarmac but damn they are pretty good offroad too.
    Have taken the GSXR on some good off highway excursions lately and they have been fine on gravel. Pics from today up Comet Hut rd in Kawekas.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0N...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0N...ew?usp=sharing
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    I turn my TKC's at about 1/2 worn that way they last & wear a bit better
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Another three reviews just submitted on the Bridgestone Trail Wing 302 and the Bridgestone Trail Wing 301 adding to the depth of feedback

You can view them here: http://www.remotemoto.com/tyres/brid...wing-302-rear/

and here: http://www.remotemoto.com/tyres/brid...ing-301-front/
    Over 800 New Zealand adventure riding routes www.remotemoto.com

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    Quote Originally Posted by _Shrek_ View Post
    I turn my TKC's at about 1/2 worn that way they last & wear a bit better
    Aah, it all starts to make sense now..... You use a fence for this 'tyre turning' process, right?

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Aah, it all starts to make sense now..... You use a fence for this 'tyre turning' process, right?
    it's a real art...you realize
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    I've just posted a second review on the GoldenTyre GT333 tyre with surprisingly different longevity

www.remotemoto.com/tyres/goldentyre-gt-333-rear/
    Over 800 New Zealand adventure riding routes www.remotemoto.com

Thread Information