Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: The dogs' Hornet mods

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Chuck in the front springs - good Saturday morning job if you are good with the tools.

F-aye, my rear was a good deal :-)

Bike
    A fast one
    I put some cable ties around the front stanchions to measure the travel and have noticed when compressing them with the bike stationery and upright, they are uneven by about an inch or so.

I'll get some pics and measurements tonight.

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    I put some cable ties around the front stanchions to measure the travel and have noticed when compressing them with the bike stationery and upright, they are uneven by about an inch or so.

I'll get some pics and measurements tonight.
    Okay disregard below, the left cable tie was ONE CLICK tighter than the right one, which was stopping it from moving as freely. The difference is now down to around 4-5mm.

I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶i̶s̶t̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶s̶u̶r̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶s̶.̶

O̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶:̶ ̶W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶r̶i̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶l̶y̶.̶

L̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶e̶ ̶5̶0̶m̶m̶

R̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶e̶ ̶6̶8̶m̶m̶

T̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶n̶c̶h̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶e̶l̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶l̶i̶p̶p̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶u̶c̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶-̶ ̶a̶l̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶s̶l̶i̶p̶p̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶l̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶l̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶i̶l̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶8̶,̶0̶0̶0̶k̶m̶s̶ ̶a̶g̶o̶.̶

P̶i̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶:̶

Left:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AumQbAj.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	553.4 KB 
ID:	316353

Right:

Name:	VAlE27q.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	526.8 KB 
ID:	316354

Name:	wmTPvmL.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	648.2 KB 
ID:	316355

Bike
    A fast one
    Had a quick look at the rear shock and having noted its original position (right in the middle) I changed it to completely soft and completely hard.

After putting it back to where it was, I have noticed a sound coming from the shock when it is compressed. I don't recall having ever heard this sound before...

In the video it looks as though I am jumping on the bike with a lot of force, although I'm only moving my back/shoulders up and down - I'm not lifting my butt off the seat and slamming it back down.

Never heard this sound before - do I need to be alarmed?

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    53.5 CM rear wheel off the ground

50.5 CM rear wheel on ground no rider

48.5 CM with me on bike, upright.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Okay disregard below, the left cable tie was ONE CLICK tighter than the right one, which was stopping it from moving as freely. The difference is now down to around 4-5mm.

I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶i̶s̶t̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶s̶u̶r̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶s̶.̶

O̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶:̶ ̶W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶r̶i̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶l̶y̶.̶

L̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶e̶ ̶5̶0̶m̶m̶

R̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶e̶ ̶6̶8̶m̶m̶

T̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶n̶c̶h̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶e̶l̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶l̶i̶p̶p̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶u̶c̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶-̶ ̶a̶l̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶s̶l̶i̶p̶p̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶l̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶l̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶i̶l̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶8̶,̶0̶0̶0̶k̶m̶s̶ ̶a̶g̶o̶.̶

P̶i̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶:̶
    RH cable tie is catching on the fork guard. And way to much sag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    53.5 CM rear wheel off the ground

50.5 CM rear wheel on ground no rider

48.5 CM with me on bike, upright.
    Way to much sag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    You will find the Hornets front end has a lot of factory binding for want of another term that influences the static sag settings when you record them.

I remember being more interested in rider sag when setting the front ends preload. Set - then refine on the road as required.

If you are playing around (good stiff) then record the original setting and each adjustment you do - make notes. Easy to revert then if you and not getting the gains you desire. Side note - if the stock oil is in there it will be shit by now. Change it. Oh you need to remove the front forks to do this - may as well swap out the springs while you are there

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Aim for about 3.5cm sag between static and rider sag, so based on your figures, wind your rear preload collar rings down a few turns to achieve this. You have 3cm of free sag which is unloaded sag minus static sag. This is a sign you may need a heavier rear spring from stock. Don't forget, improving the front is where the big benefits lie.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    There is a helpful booklet that can be downloaded from the KSS website. Do that.

Bike
    A fast one
    Thoughts/Ideas?:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...Custom-Midpipe

I tried something to get rid of the smell today - temporarily extended the exhaust pipes by about 40cm - clearing the stock tailtidy, numberplate etc by around 10cm.

Still got the bad smell circling back around and stinking out things, so obviously modding the high mount won't work.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I never had a issue with the often reported stink. I wonder if the physical size of the rider makes a difference - if you are a large unit possibly you end up with a larger area of dead air behind you.

Mind you I had also altered the rear of the stock pipes to free up some noise then went to Yoshis so maybe the gasses were exiting quicker.

Low pipe will eliminate it though.

Know anyone handy with a welder? You can buy stainless muffler pipe in curves, straights etc and cut/weld to suit your desired pipe. If a good welder it could look very trick.

http://www.autobend.co.nz/exhausts.html

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Low pipe will eliminate it though.

Know anyone handy with a welder? You can buy stainless muffler pipe in curves, straights etc and cut/weld to suit your desired pipe. If a good welder it could look very trick.

http://www.autobend.co.nz/exhausts.html
    I'm only 6'1 and 80kgs, so I don't think its a case of me being a big lad... I've got the Dan Moto pipes on currently, although have had the same issue with stock pipes, Dan Moto's with baffle and without.

I've been too'ing and fro'ing with all sorts of different options on how to fix this problem; something I came across last night was to check and replace the fuel pressure regulator. Compared to the guys in the states who say they are getting 160-180 miles before the fuel light come on, I get around 165kms riding in town, and 190kms riding on the open road which seems a lot lower than average. I'm not a super hoon on the bike either.

The lower mileage + instant stink smell as soon as it starts + black/sooty rear end makes me hope that replacing the fuel pressure regulator may fix the smell problem. I'll ring Botany Honda on Tuesday and order the part in and post back results.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    At 6 1 you have a fair height on me but geeez you must be a skinny bugger.

Dan Motos are fairly short pipes too - so they bring the outlet closer to the rider.

I spent some times when I got my Hornet new on the USA Wrist Twisters site - it appeared some people got the stink, others did not. There was never a common reason or actual bike issue.

Check your air cleaner first if you think mileage is poor - if it is dirty and in need of replacement do that first. A dirty air filter is the easiest way to stuff up fuel mileage. I can;t remember what I got out of mine - it was always pleasantly good.

Bike
    A fast one

The lower mileage + instant stink smell as soon as it starts + black/sooty rear end makes me hope that replacing the fuel pressure regulator may fix the smell problem. I'll ring Botany Honda on Tuesday and order the part in and post back results.
    Did some further testing on this today; I lifted up the fuel tank and investigated the regulator further. Many people have posted that if you can smell or see liquid (fuel) in the vacuum line that the regulator is buggered and needs to be replaced. Although my vacuum line had a slight smell of fuel, it didn't have any liquid in there.

I turned the bike on and let it run for a bit, disconnecting and reconnecting the vacuum line and seeing if there was any fuel in there - it was completely empty.

This would point to the regulator still being intact and not needing to be replaced. I'd rather save that $100 and put it towards a Power Commander which I know will let me lean out the bike from being so super rich.

Now that I know extending out the mufflers beyond the tailtidy will not cure the low air pressure circulation zone, that has been taken off the list.

I'm going to keep a close record of my fuel mileage to compare to other rider's data to see if my bike is extra rich.

My first preference is to somehow cure the stinky exhaust smell - a normal exhaust smell like on any other car/motorbike I can live with. If that cannot be fixed then the only option is to go to a low mount, which while not fixing the smell issue will stop it from coating my riding gear + bags in the stink.

Couple of questions:
    Is there somewhere I can take my bike where they can measure/'smell' the exhaust gasses coming out of the mufflers to read what the gasses are made up of? - I am thinking this may show how rich the bike is? People on Wristtwisters in the USA say they have taken their bikes to places like that and for $20.00 have gotten a report on the bike's exhaust.

Is there anyone in Auckland who DOESN'T have the smell who would be able to meet me somewhere so I can compare my exhaust stink to yours?

tl;dr still no progress.

Thread Information