Page 133 of 573 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 8585

Thread: ATNR (Auckland Thursday night ride) - Discussion thread

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo

Blah

Flipping eck, I feel like ive just read a womans magazine after sifting through all the bitching!

Good onya Quicks for organising this ride... yeah there is a few neewbs on the ride each week, but riding with those more experienced is a great learning tool... ...as riders become quicker and more experienced they start getting closer to the front of the pack and learn from even faster riders and get better etc etc... The only gripe I have ever had as a 'newb' on this ride is the odd person zooming past me too close giving me a right old wobble. Always a small minority in any group of people that have to show off/go against the flow. I dont think newbs are a problem at all on this ride. Keep up the good work!

The quicks have always made it very clear regarding speed on these rides, if you dont have the restraint to keep your speed clean then what do you expect the police to do? ...sets a bad example to those learning.

(a smart man would not have go involved with this but.. yeah...)
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by idleidolidyll View Post
    It seems to me that you northerners need to try a different tact. (I ride in Sth Auck)
    Obviously you have too many riders (IMO) and the trouble with that is that others are not used to the riding styles of anyone else. If you don't trust someone's riding in a group, you won't enjoy the ride much or at the least, you'll avoid them like the plague.
    So you don't ride this ride, but you know what's wrong with it?
    As Jonny rotten mentioned, the only ones knocking are ones that don't attend. - there is nothing that needs fixing.

You also DO seem plagued by the pigs.
    So what? At least we are aware of it. Like any other hazard, ride to the conditions.

My humble suggestions; talk personally or by PM to those who are riding much faster than the main group and suggest they organise a ride to a different location or on a different day. Post that the ride is a slow, medium or fast paced one but don't post where you're going at all (Thereby not giving the pigs a clue). Decide or inform at the pre ride meeting point just where it's going and try to leave in different directions so the cops don't get used to your route.
    No one from this ride has complained (have they?) about mixed speeds - why fix something that isn't broken. Some ride quite fast, they never upset me, some ride too slow - I wait patiently for a good chance. Everyone is courteous.

The difference is that we generally know the riding styles of all our riders and know what they'll do in any given circumstance.
    You been watching too many Tui billboards there.

Anyway, I hope you figure something out, I've thought about joining you for a ride on occassion but I'm also put off by riding in a large group amongst riders I neither know or trust to be close to.
    The last time I did so was with a Ulysseus run. I wasn't a member, just invited. I hated it: too many differnt levels of skill, speed and adrenaline to ride together safely. I too prefer groups of half a dozen or so and prefer riding with people I trust through experience.
    Thank you for your input, however there really is nothing to figure out - it works and it is popular, except apparently amonst the elite.

If it aint broke don't fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    2010 Yamaha XT250, 2008 BMW F650 Dakar
    Well I enjoy the Thursday night ride - 'nuff said!
    Exploring pastures anew...

Bike
    my ovary hurts.

Bike
    Nothing
    I really enjoy the ATNR and look forward to it every week.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Bike
    Suzuki B-King, Fatbob, YammyTricker
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    my ovary hurts.
    Dont worry your pocket will hurt soon too

Learn to ride - Basic Skills Handling Testing
    NZTA Approved Motorcycle Instructor
    www.ridertraining.co.nz

Learn to Ride - Basic Handling Skills (BHS) Training and Testing - Onroad Coaching for Restricted/Full Licence Tests
    Auckland Training grounds 63 Mihini Road Henderson
    0800 LRN2RD Txt\ imessage 021878755 or 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    None
    Ah the never ending bitching and moaning that is the ATNR !!

• Yes the Police are aware of and occasionally target the ATNR
    • Yes Mark can not ride for shit and is considered by many to be dangerous (cue his own mother said "Mark I want a nice photo of you before you die")

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    I'd wager that even if you stopped running it, others would step in to take your place.
    When QKCHK or QKKID have failed to turn up for the ride (usually through the winter months) the regular attendee's have in the passed followed the same ride format and not had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    my ovary hurts.
    Fag.

Maybe I'll see you all next week at the pub if I can be bothered

Then again by the way QKCHK and QKDIK are spealing they might start charging us for attending their ride? Or do you guys get a tax write-off for "donating" your time?

Haha, I look forward to your firey response

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    SWANNY!!!!! where have you been hiding boy

ya better be at da pub next week

we got sum catching up to do

and i have learnt alot since you last rode with me

like going slower **mutter mutter sumthing derogatory about slow old hondas that tap out at 110kph mutter mutter**

and dw i don't own it

hmmm gotta fix the a100 at some point throttle cable was screwed in the mini so i kinda errr took it's clutch cable...well at least the mini has a pretty new throttle cable

Bike
    2001 TL1000R RS
    not wanting to get into this debate/bitching session i am a new rider and have found that what qkkid/qkchik have organised is a great way for some one like myself to learn how to ride with people who have more experience.

Yes i had a binn the other week and i dont like having my nose rubbed in it by people saying i shouldnt be on the ride..
    seems no one would say it to my face but will happily do it on here..

as i said i am very greatfull to frosty for collecting my bike and taking me home but your comments in regards to the amount of accidents that there is on a thursday i take as a personal attack.

as for mark i dont know him personally but from what ive seen hes just a
    young guy that wants to ride hard and fast just like alot of the guys on the ride.

maybe the more experienced guys should be more rolemodels to the younger/less experienced guys.

bottom line...
    if you want to ride atnr just ride if not dont.
    end rant/

Bike
    nope ... gone burger

For the Newbs

Ok lets put all of this in perspective for all of those reading this and wondering whether they will come along for their first ATNR,

6 months ago I was in the same boat as you, reading the thread thinking, is it worth it, sounds like everybody speeds and gets caught. I wondered whether I'd get left behind, or cause problems. Long story short Qkchk assured me it would be ok so I came along.

That first ride there were 8 bikes (early in the riding season I guess) now each week there's around 50 bikes.

Volume speaks louder than words, the ride is great, it is safe (disclaimer: until you are used to the route, take notice of the corner speed signs) and it is FUN.

The Qks run it well, you won't get lost and if you are sensible you won't lose your license from speeding.

All said come along, 50 people say its great, about 5-10 are saying it not for them - mind you I think they probably get there kicks at speeds slightly faster than 100km/hr.

oh yeah - SkidMark takes a lot of flack, some warranteed some maybe not, but if you think about it thats 1 in 50, if only 2% in every population were considered idoits imagine how great the world would be.

Bike
    nope ... gone burger

Just a Thought

There seems to be a little bit of disillusionment from some of those doing pointer duty.

I have a suggestion - don't race to the front of the pack, the ride only needs about 10 pointers so let some of the slower-mid paced riders go first.

This might work - or it might not.

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    There seems to be a little bit of disillusionment from some of those doing pointer duty.
    I used to ensure I stayed back a bit so as not to get snapped for point duty, that is until I led the ride one evening and had trouble finding pointers - the buggers were all hanging back and hiding.

Now I make a point of doing my bit and pointing. It is actually pretty awesome. Nothing like 50 bikes roaring past to lift the soul.
    Then you get the chance to fang it comfortably. You can be pretty sure that any cops that may be ahead will already be busy.
    I also find I get clear road, the group has sorted itself fast to slow and all I got to do is pick off a few straglers and the road clears cause the main group is well ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    K3 750
    Its an awesome ride. maybe the people who don't like the ATNR are searching in the wrong place for what they want. Theres no need to put down the ride becuase its not what your looking for.
    if you like an 8 bike ride, then go ride that and don't mock a 50 bike ride.
    Its a well organised social cruise/ride/fang(however you are feeling that night) followed by the overrun of an albany pub.
    So thanks to the Qks!!! of the few who don't seem to apreciate it, there are 50+ of us that do! and alot more in the future that will.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN View Post
    I used to ensure I stayed back a bit so as not to get snapped for point duty, that is until I led the ride one evening and had trouble finding pointers - the buggers were all hanging back and hiding.

I don't hide, I really am that slow

Bike
    K3 750
    haven't had to point yet,
    i got close!
    but then my confidence lacked on those stunning gravel roads we got to ride on!
    and everyone passed me.

Thread Information