Thread: Rusty's Ridesafe 350 - Part uno

Bike
    Buell XB12X Ulysses
    Blog Entries

Rusty's Ridesafe 350 - Part uno

Who woulda thunk the day would take so many twists and turns (literal and figurative) as it did. For my first Rusty ride, it was a great intro.

Got to Motohaus at around 8:15 for sign up and had a chat about what to expect with some of the guys and gals and teamed up with Les (TLDV8) as riding buddies. Briefing over and off we go down SH1 to Drury and over the Bombays. I was scrubbing in new rubber so was a bit tentative through there but by Morrinsville I was feeling more confident. Still heading south, we started getting out of my comfort zone, so theres a few more map checks going on than I'd like, but a few wrong turns righted, and they don't seem all that much trouble. Then the first figurative twist of the day.....

Les and I had gassed up in Morrinsville, and after we left the service station, Sparky (Fred) joined us for the run south. We were well past Cambridge and heading into no-mans land and his reserve light started blinking furiously. "She'll be right" I thought. "A servo will show up soon". But no. Stuck in the middle of nowhere there was bugger all to do but head up to a farmers place and ask if there was a gas station nearby. No. Bugger. Next idea. "Have you got a hose we can use as a siphon". Sure enough, he had one hanging next to the helicopter. HELICOPTER!!!! And here I was thinking farmers were struggling. Couldn't get my bike higher than Sparky's so he whips out a bottle of V (which I offered to drink) and 6 bottle fulls of the fossil fuel later, we're off again finally to get gas at Kihikihi.

Heaqd in to Pirongia for lunch and it's pissing down, so a bit of shelter and a couple rolls later and we're off again to Narawahia, Huntly then SH22. As we pull on to 22 the rain comes down again and we know from experience that it is damn slippery up there in the wet, so we're off on tenter-tyres. Alls going well and then we get to the Mercer turn off where the VTR got seriously loose going round the corner due to the wetness and as I steadied her up I glanced in the rear views only to see Les doing the "dead ant" dance across the road sans bike.

HOLY SHIT!!!

A quick u-turn and a sprint back up to the corner finds Les shaken but not stirred (thank god) heading towards his bike thats now in the ditch. A few others rock up including Sparky and we managed to get her up and out to survey the damage. Left side is munted including gear selector arm so it's not going anywhere. After a bit of fluffing about, Sparky offers to go get his van from Manurewa to take Les home, so off he goes and the others who stopped make sure all is okay and off they go. Call in to Lee to update on the "incident" with a recommendation to get others to bypass 22, and we're in for the wait. For an hour. In torrential rain. Bugger.

Sparky did return with a well kitted out van (he installs spa pools - coulda done with one then) and we load up the wounded TL and head off the BBQ with the rest of the ride abandoned.

All in all a damn good ride up till the heart went into the mouth. Can't wait for the next one.
    "Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed..."
    - Page 14 of the Buell Owners Manual

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    A good write up. And I'm glad to hear that Les wasn't hurt too bad. Bikes are fixable. It sounds like a good learning experience all round. well done.
    Time to ride

Bike
    84 Kawasaki KR250/86 Honda VFR 700F

Thumbs up Pics and story

Arriving at Motohaus at 8.10 saw a great variety of bikes allready in the carpark. Was good to see all sorts of bikes from little a GN250 to the big Cruisers, Offroaders, Scooters and the usual selection of wonderfull Sports bikes. A quick look around the shop saw me get a good deal on some new gloves( nice warm ones) and onto the preride briefing. With route instructions in the tank bag we were away about 8.40. Caught up with Kravy and TLDV8 some where along the way and tagged along. Kravy seems to be able to read half a sheet of instructions and just go! Hmm I can only do one line at the time so I figured I follow them. They kindly waited for me at turn offs as I wasn't as quick as them, specially when the turns get tighter and the road wetter. The old VFR was doing well but needed a shot of fuel miles away from anywhere so a quick stop at a farmers place to borrow a siphon hose saw us on our way. Thanks mate, I was getting worried. The fuel light came on again and still no gas station in sight. Cruising at 100Kph and shortshifting saw me arrive at a gas station so all was well ( 17.78Lt into a 18Lt tank, that was close). Lunch in the rain was fun and away we went, more rain saw some slippery conditions and coming along HW22 just by the Mercer turn off, WHOAAA, WTF!! There is a TL in the ditch!! But Les was fortunatly unhurt.So after getting the poor girl back on the road it was decided I better go and get the van from home and come back to take TLDV8 and his baby home. A quick trip into Mercer and down the Southern MW to Manurewa and back and she was all loaded up, Managed to talk Les into going back to Motohaus for the BBQ and a chat. After wich we went home tucked the TL in the garage. Apart from the TL's mishap and the shit weather a good day with great roads and great people.Thanks to the origanisers for doing a great job and I can't wait for the next one! Thanks ghuys. Oh yeah here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ride1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	39660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ride2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	39661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ride3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	39662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ride4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	39663  
    Don't ride faster then your guardian angel can fly

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries

Whizzbang neato fun!

Wow, sounds like an eventful trip! Glad to hear nobody was hurt ('cept for the poor sufferin' TL beastie). Always great to hear about these trips and rider's experiences on them ( for better or worse ).

Can't wait till I get to go out and do the same! (The fun bit, not the binning or dropping or other noobie mistakes ).
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    Buell XB12X Ulysses
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    ...a quick stop at a farmers place to borrow a siphon hose saw us on our way. Thanks mate, I was getting worried...
    S'alright. As I said, Honda riders help each other out, but if you were on a Yammie or Suzi, I woulda left you in the middle o'nowhere
    "Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed..."
    - Page 14 of the Buell Owners Manual

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    First i have to say..I can't give a big enough Thank's to Fred (Sparky) and Warren (Krayy) and also to the Trailie and BMW guys who stopped for a chat.

As already mentioned above it was a great ride and we had covered some reasonable distance on wet roads off and on prior to me parking the TL...As some will know that part of 22 can be tricky in the wet so speed's to suit were being observed (imho) ...Rounding that corner and pow,the back flicked around (not a step out or wiggle)) what in the end was some 270 degree's with the bike ending up backward in the ditch on the L/H side of a L/H corner..I carried on sliding up the road ending up on the R/H side..I really did think it was going to be a case of back to the bike,fire it up and carry on but that was not to be.... Once again,a big thank you to Fred and Warren..all in all it was a great day out,thumbs up to the Rusty Nuts

After cleaning all the mud off the TL.

For what seemed like a slowish get off in the wet

Observed so far and looking a little different to my profile pic.

L/H fairing broken
    L/H Radiator end tank pushed in ( The bain of TLS's with the fairing attached directly to the radiator end tanks )
    L/H clip on sheared at the retaining bolt
    End of the GSXR fork ground off
    Generator cover ground and pushed in
    Gear linkage snapped off
    Yoshimura mid pipe flattened and Titanium muffler a bit sad
    Rear tail plastic cracked but no real marks..odd

...but as said at the time,when you can get up and walk back to your bike with no injury things are not that bad... A good reason to wear protective gear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	39692  

Bike
    84 Kawasaki KR250/86 Honda VFR 700F
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    First i have to say..I can't give a big enough Thank's to Fred (Sparky) and Warren (Krayy)
    Hey Les no problem mate, thats what group riding is all about isn't it, looking after each other. And I was getting sick of the rain anyway, nice and dry in the van ay.
    How are you feeling anyway, any "day after" pain? Hope all works out with the bike too.
    Don't ride faster then your guardian angel can fly

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Hey Les no problem mate, thats what group riding is all about isn't it, looking after each other. And I was getting sick of the rain anyway, nice and dry in the van ay.
    How are you feeling anyway, any "day after" pain? Hope all works out with the bike too.
    Not a scratch or ache,Fred.... Three touch down points on my jacket and pants,all were spots with armour... I would like to think motorcyclists still look out for each other but i may have been stretching it a little,its the first time i have completed an organised bike ride by van with a heater

Thread Information