Thread: Low reading odometer/trip meter vs speedometer?

Bike
    2005 GSXR750

Low reading odometer/trip meter vs speedometer?

My DRZ 250 tripmeter is reading low (ie saying 20km when I've traveled 25km) Does this mean my speedo will be wrong as well?

This is my first bike with knobblie tyres, and I gather they can have this effect, but I didn't realise it would be quite so much. Thanks.

Bike
    A fast one
    Yes, if your speed is reading too low, then your mileage will be reading lower.

eg: You travel 100kms but your odometer reads 90kms travelled.

Bike
    2005 GSXR750
    Thank you, I haven't been able to check the speedo yet (need an assistant to ride along with me or something), but the tripmeter is low.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Okey Dokey View Post
    Thank you, I haven't been able to check the speedo yet (need an assistant to ride along with me or something), but the tripmeter is low.
    try one of those new fanged GPS units or download one onto your smart phone.

or you may have one of those 5km marked out areas along the main highway. time yourself.

if my GPS is correct, surprising how the speed indicated is in comparison to GPS, across the range.

you could always get a to chase you and ask what speed you was doing

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2005 GSXR750
    Thanks for the great helpful suggestions. Will try and sort something out about checking the speed (my phone is the dumbest one available, doesn't even have a camera)

So, is the difference likely due to the tyres, and not something else? Just wanting to check, as it does seem a big disparity for distance traveled vs distance on tripmeter. I wondered if it was symptomatic of some sort of tripmeter failure, but maybe not...

Thanks again for your help, guys.

EDIT: Oops! Just been googling and read some odometers are linked to transmission....the bike has a different front sprocket for off roading, so that may be the issue. I also need to check if the odometer is off as well, or just the tripmeter (didn't think to look) Will have to investigate further! Sorry if I have wasted anyone's time.

Bike
    A fast one
    Thanks for the great helpful suggestions. Will try and sort something out about checking the speed (my phone is the dumbest one available, doesn't even have a camera)

So, is the difference likely due to the tyres, and not something else? Just wanting to check, as it does seem a big disparity for distance traveled vs distance on tripmeter. I wondered if it was symptomatic of some sort of tripmeter failure, but maybe not...

Thanks again for your help, guys.

EDIT: Oops! Just been googling and read some odometers are linked to transmission....the bike has a different front sprocket for off roading, so that may be the issue. I also need to check if the odometer is off as well, or just the tripmeter (didn't think to look) Will have to investigate further! Sorry if I have wasted anyone's time.
    Sprocket change will be what caused it. What bike is it for? You can buy things like a SpeedoHealer to fix the issue - Give it a Google and you'll see more info

Bike
    A
    Speedo drive is likely from front wheel, and if so Speedo Healer won't help. My guess is sprocket variation from standard is your problem.

Check out this site, will help you get a better idea http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Bike
    2005 GSXR750
    Thank you both so very much! Now I feel like I know what is going on a bit.

That gear commander website is impressive; will have to find some time to input the details and learn (they have my model but not year of bike, but maybe I can work around that).

Cheers.

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS
    I have a street legal road registered 2007 DRZ250K7 with the electronic instrument panel. The speedo is cable driven off the right hand side of the front wheel.
    But in my owners manual [page 2-13 onwards] it says that both of the trip meters are adjustable electronically by a correction factor that can range from 70% to 130%. It then goes on for a while on how to measure the error and how to make the adjustment that is built into the electronics.
    It makes no mention of how to change the odometer [as opposed to the twin trip meters] reading if this is not accurate.

If your speedo and odometer are cable driven from the front wheel [and that is very easy to work out by having a look] then changing the size of the drive sprockets will not make any difference at all to the accuracy of the speedo/odometer. It simply changes the engine rpm for a given speed.

But if your speedo and odometer are NOT driven from the front wheel then changing the drive sprockets could change the speedo and odometer readings depending on where in the transmission system the speed and distance pick up actually is.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Speedo drive is likely from front wheel, and if so Speedo Healer won't help. My guess is sprocket variation from standard is your problem.

Check out this site, will help you get a better idea http://www.gearingcommander.com/
    bro do you even science?

Bike
    2005 GSXR750
    MarkW, thank you very much for this information! I had a look this morning and there is a cable that runs from the front wheel up to the speedo unit. I assume there is a sensor on the end (can you tell I usually rely on someone who is away at Burt Munro for all things mechanical?)

I must try and get hold of an owners' manual for this bike; I did a wee search this morning without success. I will tell Mr Okey Dokey what you have said. I still haven't done the odometer vs tripmeter check....

**waves to Akzle** nice of you to drop in, hope you are having a good weekend, and that goes for everyone else as well

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Was the bike originally a motard style with a smaller front wheel? And are you running a 21 inch front wheel now? Bigger wheels turn slower so that could be the cause of the error.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2005 GSXR750
    Hi guys. Problem solved, with a big thanks to MarkW who pointed out the adjustable tripmeter. It had been set to read only eighty something percent of the actual distance traveled, but I've corrected it to 100% so all is well. It is the "cleverest" tripmeter I've ever seen, like a rally car or something.

Such a simple solution, as long as you know what you are looking for!

Thanks, and happy riding.

Bike
    suzuki
    my phone is the dumbest one available, doesn't even have a camera
    odd that, my camera must be dumb as it doesn't have a phone.

Thread Information