Thread: Router problems

Bike
    Your mom

Router problems

Over the past couple of months the TP Link router I have cuts the WiFi connection at random about once a week. My computer is hooked up to the router via an ethernet cable, and it always works fine. It's a router issue as I can't connect any WiFi device to the router when the connection drops out, so it's not the other connected devices which are the problem. The WiFi always works again once I unplug it and plug it back in. Should I do a firmware update on the router?

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Try this...

Name:  k8884922.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  3.5 KB
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Try this...
    Oh, it's certainly tempting!

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries

I hope its the ironic one

Remembering your previous posts - could be that your router has been hacked. Most routers have a storm control so that when they are unhappy they can lock down a port.
    In the case of wifi, you lock it down, its is only 1 port, and the router eventually resets.

Of course if Occam's razor states your wifi router is fucked and you should just buy a new one (firmware might fix it.........so long as nothing has popped).
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    Remembering your previous posts - could be that your router has been hacked. Most routers have a storm control so that when they are unhappy they can lock down a port.
    In the case of wifi, you lock it down, its is only 1 port, and the router eventually resets.

Of course if Occam's razor states your wifi router is fucked and you should just buy a new one (firmware might fix it.........so long as nothing has popped).
    Is it worth resetting the router by pushing that button for a few seconds with a paper clip?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Over the past couple of months the TP Link router I have cuts the WiFi connection at random about once a week. My computer is hooked up to the router via an ethernet cable, and it always works fine. It's a router issue as I can't connect any WiFi device to the router when the connection drops out, so it's not the other connected devices which are the problem. The WiFi always works again once I unplug it and plug it back in. Should I do a firmware update on the router?

do a hard reset on your router, then firmware upgrade, then log in again and change the default login password to something other than "admin".
    then look at your logs. OR if you haven't been logging, start logging, then next time it does it (if the above hasn't fixed it), look at your logs.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    if you are torrenting, using some other p2p protocol or connecting apple devices to it, you are probably using up all the available sessions/connections.

If I fired up rtorrent through my old DLINK it would come to a screaming halt because of the 50000 connections that were attempting to be made through it.

Solution: buy a better router.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    My old router was pretty dodgy, needing a power-off reset twice a week.

Eventually did a firmware upgrade and didn't have to touch it again (apart from normal settings changes) for about five years until I retired it.

So I'd say do the firmware update first, then see if you still have trouble.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    Your mom
    Thanks for your help guys, I reset the router back to default settings so hopefully that will have closed off any ports the "hackers" may have used, and I have set a secure user name and password to enter the router settings.

Bike
    tedium
    Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    if you are torrenting, using some other p2p protocol or connecting apple devices to it, you are probably using up all the available sessions/connections.
    \
    If that was the case then it wouldn't just be an issue on his wifi. What you're desribing was a big issue on the older D-Link modems. The TP-Link stuff is generally pretty sold.

SmokeU...put the wifi channel(s) to a fixed number instead of Auto and yeah, the firmware upgrade may fix it. The whole hacker change the router default user/password is well overstated.

A lot of the TP-link stuff has a ping watch. You can use that to automatically restart it. Otherwise a linux hippy like yourself could write a telnet script to restart the router and invoke it with a cron job. Otherwise you could go old skool http://search.mitre10mega.co.nz/hardware/Timer

If it keeps doing it then its likely the wifi on the router is cooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    SF
    My W8960N drops its wifi from time to time too. It's normally back about 30 seconds later but yeah, it's a PITA. Latest firmware installed

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    If that was the case then it wouldn't just be an issue on his wifi. What you're desribing was a big issue on the older D-Link modems. The TP-Link stuff is generally pretty sold.

SmokeU...put the wifi channel(s) to a fixed number instead of Auto and yeah, the firmware upgrade may fix it. The whole hacker change the router default user/password is well overstated.

A lot of the TP-link stuff has a ping watch. You can use that to automatically restart it. Otherwise a linux hippy like yourself could write a telnet script to restart the router and invoke it with a cron job. Otherwise you could go old skool http://search.mitre10mega.co.nz/hardware/Timer

If it keeps doing it then its likely the wifi on the router is cooked.

Not if the what ever they are using is connected to the wifi. Most access points have even fewer connections allowed than ethernet. Also, TPlink access points are notoriously bad. We were using 2 TPLink access points at work, and when we put AEROHIVES in, we couldnt connect to them because the TPLinks were nuking them. Fortunately you can tell the aerohives to "mitigate" another access point, and they dedicate a radio to "jamming" which ever access point you like.

The TPLinks would fall over when there was 3-4 IPADs and half a dozen iphones connected to them. Someone fires up a torrent client and they were pretty much unusable.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    SmokeU...put the wifi channel(s) to a fixed number instead of Auto and yeah, the firmware upgrade may fix it. ...

then its likely the wifi on the router is cooked.

yes to changing channels - find out which channels most of the "noise" (neighbour's networks) in your hood is on then get as far away as possible. generally on a scale of 1-14, every dick is on 7 so 1 and 14 are the best option, followed by 3 & 10 etc. (half way/ as far away as you can)...

if the "wifi on the router was cooked" you wouldn't get connectivity anywhere anytime ever. intermittent problems rarely indicate an hardware fault.

as others have said it is likely a ports issue. you can map em, you can nat em, you can prioritise your clients and allocate bandwidth, or just cut down your traffic.

but lets hope your firmware upgrade fixed it.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Remember however, that the strongest channels with the least interference are 1, 6, 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    tedium
    Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    Not if the what ever they are using is connected to the wifi. Most access points have even fewer connections allowed than ethernet. Also, TPlink access points are notoriously bad. We were using 2 TPLink access points at work, and when we put AEROHIVES in, we couldnt connect to them because the TPLinks were nuking them. Fortunately you can tell the aerohives to "mitigate" another access point, and they dedicate a radio to "jamming" which ever access point you like.

The TPLinks would fall over when there was 3-4 IPADs and half a dozen iphones connected to them. Someone fires up a torrent client and they were pretty much unusable.
    Hmm...be curious to know what models as I genuinely have bugger all problems with them. Got em all over the place......even places using Woznaik's finest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Thread Information