Thread: Shell Singapore hands out refuelling dos and don'ts in safety drive

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F

Shell Singapore hands out refuelling dos and don'ts in safety drive

Shell Singapore is taking no risks in terms of what you can and can’t do on their petrol station forecourts. They have come up with a comprehensive list of dos and don’ts as part their “Think Safe, Stay Safe” campaign.

On the list, which addresses various concerns, is a recommendation that motorists do not use their mobile 'Dropping a mobile phone, switching it on or off, answering calls or sending messages may cause sparks. This may ignite petrol vapour,' one of the pointers reads.

A Shell spokesman added that any battery-powered equipment can pose a fire risk at the pumps.

An entire section is devoted to static build-up 'Do not re-enter your vehicle during refuelling - stay outside,' Shell advises, adding that if you must get back into your car, be sure to discharge any static that may have built up by touching any metallic surface - other than the fuel nozzle.’

The spokesman added 'We believe that customers' ignorance contributes to unsafe refuelling practices at stations. These include smoking, refuelling with the engine running, motorcyclists refuelling while sitting on their bikes, and using cellphones while refuelling.'
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    R80, CB400N, Cb200.
    Sitting on their motorcycles? Can't say I see the danger? The bike falling over?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Banks View Post
    Yes, but bikes = cool and cars = suck. I think it's Newton's fourth law or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    Queer Retarded Fags I think.

Isn't sniper one of those?

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Magua
    Sitting on their motorcycles? Can't say I see the danger? The bike falling over?

Naa, but if it went wrong you surely would have a warm crotch

Bike
    2004 GSXR600 / 1989 K75 BMW
    How fast do you reckon you could get off your bike if you were on fire ???
    There was a great video posted on another thread which show how tricky this can be.
    Not even with yours!!!

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    Truthfully? I think that one isn't quite what it seems. No idea if it has happened, but I reckon it is to stop bikers sitting on the bike while filling up, then firing up and riding away without paying.

We had a spate of "You must take your helmet off" tirades over here at one point and orders of "Get off the bike or we don't give you any fuel", supposedly due to this problem.

Somewhere on this forum, there is another item about the Supermarket having to apologise to bikers for telling them they had to pay before they could fill up. Sounds like that was prejudice on the part of an attendant, given the public apology fro Safeway.

When I fill up, I get off the bike, take my gloves off - but I do not take off my helmet. If there is a sign at the door of the station kiosk, then I will, but otherwise, helmet stays firmly on head.

But if I do have to take it off, well it does take a time to put it back on, check the fastening is done up properly, then of course my gloves must be on correctly, so the straps need adjusting....
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    GSXR600K3 - Alstare
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob

When I fill up, I get off the bike, take my gloves off - but I do not take off my helmet. If there is a sign at the door of the station kiosk, then I will, but otherwise, helmet stays firmly on head.
    Yea i do exactly the same thing except i only take my helmet of if asked if theres a sign at the door sayin to i jus ignore it, Generally because the service stations i use no who i am from my bike.

Thread Information