Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radio wave ‘zapper’ to aid UK police in ending chases?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F

Radio wave ‘zapper’ to aid UK police in ending chases?

A gadget which disables suspect vehicles using radio waves could soon be used by police in the UK.

The device works by knocking out the suspect vehicle’s fuel injection and engine firing systems. At a flick of a switch, the device fires a beam of high intensity radio waves, stalling it and bringing it safely to a halt.

Tests on the device are being conducted by Home Office scientists and police also appear to be keen on it "It seems to have potential, there's no doubt about it," said Mick Barker of the Police Federation.

More research is being undertaken into the effects of activating the device on non-suspect vehicles in the same area. And, of course, it does not work on vehicles built before on-board computers were standard.
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Sounds bad to me...

Someone else firing off beamss of high energy ANYTHING potentially hitting people with thusfar undetermined effects...

Nope - not good in my book.
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Fockin' 'ell.

My mate with the ZX-7R always said that he wouldn't buy a new bike with FI because the Man would figure out a way to turn it off if he ever wanted to ride away in a hurry.

And I thought he was being paranoid.

Those flatslide carbs on a GS1200SS are looking better every day.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Not sure, havent ridden many

scary

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    A gadget which disables suspect vehicles using radio waves could soon be used by police in the UK.

The device works by knocking out the suspect vehicle’s fuel injection and engine firing systems. At a flick of a switch, the device fires a beam of high intensity radio waves, stalling it and bringing it safely to a halt.

Tests on the device are being conducted by Home Office scientists and police also appear to be keen on it "It seems to have potential, there's no doubt about it," said Mick Barker of the Police Federation.

More research is being undertaken into the effects of activating the device on non-suspect vehicles in the same area. And, of course, it does not work on vehicles built before on-board computers were standard.
    I wonder how it would affect the other electrical devices on board, i.e braking systems, 4wd etc..

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyfly
    I wonder how it would affect the other electrical devices on board, i.e braking systems, 4wd etc..
    I don't know of any cars which are completely brake-by-wire or steer-by-wire, but if they were it could surely cause some horrific accidents.

Which would be the driver's fault for choosing an overly technological vehicle
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST

EMF causes stoppage

I recall seeing a telly article about a similar system tested in the US.

A skateboard sized trolley mounted at the pursuing car's front was fired (solid fuel rocket propelled) at the pursuee's car. The trolley trailed wires to the pursuer, feeding a coil mounted on the trolley. When the trolley passed under the pursuee, a button is pushed triggering an emf spike large enough to kill the car's ecu.

The main problem with this system was:

1) only one shot at the target.

2) didn't work with old school ignition.

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    I don't know of any cars which are completely brake-by-wire or steer-by-wire, but if they were it could surely cause some horrific accidents.

Which would be the driver's fault for choosing an overly technological vehicle
    Brand new Honda Civics are drive-by-wire. Haven't driven any brake-by-wire cars yet tho.
    Wouldn't want a gut full of cancer-inducing electro-magnetic waves either.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    My concern would be if you were mid corner under slight throttle and the engine suddenly cuts out - could cause you to wobble and fall off with the decreased inertia/centifical forces.

Mind you, it would probably be a matter of time before some clever fella designs a counter measure...
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Hmmmm...

Eventually the criminal classes would be reduced as well because they would possibly be rendered impotent by the beam... Excellent!

Now... (donning my lead underwear) Where is that Dick Smiths catalogue.. I'm building one for the Guzzi.....

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    My concern would be if you were mid corner under slight throttle and the engine suddenly cuts out - could cause you to wobble and fall off with the decreased inertia/centifical forces.

Mind you, it would probably be a matter of time before some clever fella designs a counter measure...
    As with road spikes there would be clear guidlines as to where and when they could be deployed.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    Fockin' 'ell.

My mate with the ZX-7R always said that he wouldn't buy a new bike with FI because the Man would figure out a way to turn it off if he ever wanted to ride away in a hurry.

And I thought he was being paranoid.

Those flatslide carbs on a GS1200SS are looking better every day.
    Bugger it will still have electronic ignition though.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka
    As with road spikes there would be clear guidlines as to where and when they could be deployed.

And the Police follow guidelines (such as those for vehicle chases) to the letter don't they (Not a personal attack there Spud )
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    2005 GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka
    Do they have any spikes in NZ?

Since we are on the topic. My mate reckons he has just seen a white mufty EVO VII here in Auckland!!

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    A nuclear bomb within range would have the same effect PLUS it would have the added benefit of stopping all those within a say 100km radius from committing any future speeding offense also

Bike
    '07 GSX750F
    IIRC The latest Merc's are brake and drive by wire

I remember watching a "new miletry weapons" style program a year or 2 ago with this style of weapons platform. The idea being knock a tank off-line before it could target you. They showed a demo on a car. Downside was that you had to lift the bonnet to disable the engine from more than a meter away.

Could cause all sorts of problems when fired, imagine if your car stops running while at 100km/h stalls itself. she's going to stop like a lead balloon. Bikes would be even worse. Lots of impotence case's, loss of data from laptops and computers in the region, other vehicals caught in the "beam". Sounds like an open case to sue for damages.
    Speed limits are just a suggestion, like pants.

Thread Information