Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family seek change in UK pillion law

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F

Family seek change in UK pillion law

A crash victim's family are campaigning to stop under-16s from riding as passengers on motorbikes.

Sean Pearce-Weston, from Eastbourne, was killed after being thrown from a bike in a collision with a car. The family were unaware that Sean was on the bike and it later transpired that he was wearing an ill-fitting adult's helmet. The rider, a friend of Sean’s father, was seriously injured, while the driver of the car was unhurt.

Sean's family has collected more than 3,000 signatures, which they will deliver to the Department of Transport.
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    A pet hate of mine is seeing young kids on pillions.I`m always aware of the fact that however good I am there`s still the chance of the un-expected that can have me off,the thought of dropping a bike with a child on the back,well I dont carry any pillions these days,risking my owm neck is one thing,hurt someone else and I`d never forgive myself.Example only this morning,coming home from work at 6a.m.,light this time of year luckily because someone had dropped most of their car`s exhaust system in the road.If it had been dark I doubt I`d have seen it and would have hit it doing 60,good chance of it causing me to crash,bad enough,worse if someone else had joined me on the trip down the road.Of course the problem with this is the same as all the other traffic laws.You guys in N.Z. think life with hardly any traffic cops is heaven,well it`s not and appalling driving,busted or no lights,un-insured or even licensed drivers,red-light jumpers and all kinds of other stuff is the norm here.No way would I take anyone,particularly a child,out to tackle the stupidity of busy roads here.Much as I love riding if I was thinking of starting out now I`d probably decide against having a bike at all,I`ve got years of experience and acquired road-sense,must be pretty daunting for newbies now being thrown into the Lion`s Den of the lunacy on Britains roads.

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    A crash victim's family are campaigning to stop under-16s from riding as passengers on motorbikes.

Sean Pearce-Weston, from Eastbourne, was killed after being thrown from a bike in a collision with a car. The family were unaware that Sean was on the bike and it later transpired that he was wearing an ill-fitting adult's helmet. The rider, a friend of Sean’s father, was seriously injured, while the driver of the car was unhurt.

Sean's family has collected more than 3,000 signatures, which they will deliver to the Department of Transport.
    I'm sorry, but just because a boy got killed while wearing inadequate gear and was on the bike without family consent, doesnt mean all U16's should be banned from riding as pillion. That is another ridiculous nannying over reaction by non-bikers (I assume - how many of the 3000 signatures were bikers I wonder?) to the percieved danger of riding a motorcycle. I agree that you are more likely to get hurt in a crash, but that doesnt mean they should be banned. Perhaps next a family of a 17yr old who is flatting and bought a motorbike without parental knowledge/permission and died on it will try to collect signatures to ban U18s from riding bikes? It could be a logical extension of the concept. It is a ridiculous over-reaction by people trying to find a way to protect other people's kids, even if others dont want blanket protection. Surely this is a personal choice issue, not a legal issue???
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    Follow that line of logic the next will be no under 16's in a car with out parental approval

Bike
    GSXR600K3 - Alstare
    yea it really is stupid 16 is old enough to go on a bike. you cant go changing things because someone got hurt, it probably couldnt have been avoided by the motorcycle

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenier
    yea it really is stupid 16 is old enough to go on a bike. you cant go changing things because someone got hurt, it probably couldnt have been avoided by the motorcycle
    The petition isn't looking to stop 16 year olds going on a bike - it is to stop under-16s being taken out as pillion passengers. Don't know about NZ (and if someone could fill me in, I'd appreciate the info), but in the UK you cannot ride a bike (and then restricted to 50cc) until you are 16. At 18 you are allowed a 125cc machine and are allowed to take your full test - though even that may be changed if the European Parliament get their way.

As for pillions, as I understand it, the law says that the pillion has to be able to reach the pillion pegs - if they can do that, then they are big enough to be taken on the back (concept being this allows the pillion to support their own weight). Which seems fine to me.

The 'ill-fitting adult helmet' is another matter. Obviously you can't have a range of different helmet sizes at home, but I wonder just how 'ill-fitting' the helmet was? I think the kid was about 8 or 9 years old - but then he could have been quite big for his age and an adult helmet would not have been a problem.

Interesting someone mentioned over-reacting - from what I can find, this is a pretty typical response from those of us that ride bikes (including me). The word used most often is "Nannying". It does strike me as a knee-jerk reaction - which has been leapt upon by the usual bunch of safety-nannies (that word again).

Personally, like Moko I'm not insured to take a pillion any more - I used to take my wife out on the back of my Bandit (and GPZ500S before that) - but these days riding in London is hard work and I'd rather not risk someone else's neck. But if someone else is happy to take their kid out - and does their best to ensure they are properly clothed and protected - that is their choice.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Well I have to agree with those of you that have replyed here. These parents, what are they going to do wrap there kids up in cotton wool? if so for how long?
    Hell the boy could of died in the car going to were ever they were going shit he could of brocken his neck during his Sat morning scocer game fallen of his chair backwards at school.... shit you get the idea.

So now those parents who do spend there time with there kids on the bike, like some of my mates that enjoy taking there kids for a ride with them (as kids do enjoy doing the things that dad does) are posibly going to loose that very special conection untill later in life were it may not have the same bond.
    Were the hell is this PC crap going to end.... life IS 'dangerous' live it before it dissapairs.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    I agree with Dangerous on this,I rode with my old man and it's what got me into bikes.My dauther rode on the back with me and they were the best times for both of us because I didn't get a lot of time with her like her mum did.Even today we still talk about the time we went to Coro' togeather and she erned major points at school when she pulled up on the back of my first HD.Sure we have to make sure our kids are kitted out right but we can't stop them living life.

Bike
    2003 Suzuki Burgman 650
    3000 sigs not alot for the UK

Bike
    1999 Triumph legend/combination
    I agree that something must be done to stop very young children riding pillion on motorbikes. Although perhaps the 16 year old limit is a bit too O.T.T. (my 14 year old niece is much taller than me and I'm 5ft 8) I am completely supportive of any campaign to stop young children being put uneccessarily at risk.
    A friend of mine and her husband (relatively inexperienced riders) regularly take their two children out, sometimes on long journeys in adverse weather conditions. She is not entirely happy with the situation especially since she dropped her bike with her son on the back ( he was just 5 years old at the time!!!!!) but she hasn't got the bottle to stand up to her arrogant husband. The kids are just 8 and 6 years old respectively, (and only just 6 last month at that) which to anyone's mind is just stupid.
    It is said that kids don't have the capacity to grasp the idea of road safety properly before the age of 8, so that has to go for something. I understand that campaigning in Ohio is trying to introduce a ban on children under the age of 11 years old riding pillion, which to me sounds more realistic. If we who feel strongly on this subject, want an achievable target, perhaps we should consider this age for a campaign.
    My husband and I do take our kids out occassionally in the sidecar, but this has specially adapted seating and full harnesses. At the end of the day, being experienced bikers, we know all too well how often it is necessary to take quick and defensive action on a bike to avoid trouble. If you have a young child day dreaming on the back, how easy is it going to be for them to be unseated?!
    It's all too easy for the people against the campaign to quote statistics, but how many more children have to die as a result of this kind of insane practise - really 6 years old is insane on todays roads? Surely the loss of just one precious life is too much? I for one don't want to be stood at the funeral of a child thinking why?

Karen

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    I just read an article about something simular and it seems UK folk were getting upset because two under sixteen year olds(pillions) had been killed. Out of something like 3million licensed riders and an approx 1.2million actual riders this does not seem to bad realy.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F

Boy's bike death “was accidental”

An inquest into the death of Sean Pearce-Weston while riding pillion on a motorbike has recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Since the accident, his mother has campaigned to make it illegal for under-16s to ride pillion, collecting more than 3,000 signatures on a petition which was delivered to the Department of Transport. Eastbourne MP Nigel Waterson also introduced a 10-minute bill in the Commons in February calling for safety regulations to be tightened up.

Hopefully the verdict will put an end to well-meaning, but knee-jerk reactions to this tragedy.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Dont show this thread to Frosty..
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Honda PC800
    WHAT A LOAD OF TOTAL BOLLOX----- everyone seems to have missed the vital points here--Incorrect fitting helmet and i bet fuck all riding gear.
    Age has fuck all to do with it.
    Comes to mind the old saying -Full gear or fools gear
    I'ts sad it happened to be a youngun for sure but if it was an older person I bet theyd be just as dead.

I've been on a couple of KB rides with my 5 year old son and I think it would be fair to say his riding gear is as good if not better than the stuff worn by other people on the ride. Helmet ,leather jacket MX boots etc (His helmet BTW is a full face shoei which fits him perfectly) He is also a far more competent pillion than most others I've carried.
    Also the experience of the rider has a big part to play.Personally I don't think riders should be allowed to cary pillions for 2 years after getting their licences or they attend rider training .
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2013 EX300SE
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ/FROSTY
    WHAT A LOAD OF TOTAL BOLLOX----- everyone seems to have missed the vital points here--Incorrect fitting helmet and i bet fuck all riding gear.
    Age has fuck all to do with it.
    Comes to mind the old saying -Full gear or fools gear
    I'ts sad it happened to be a youngun for sure but if it was an older person I bet theyd be just as dead.

I've been on a couple of KB rides with my 5 year old son and I think it would be fair to say his riding gear is as good if not better than the stuff worn by other people on the ride. Helmet ,leather jacket MX boots etc (His helmet BTW is a full face shoei which fits him perfectly) He is also a far more competent pillion than most others I've carried.
    Also the experience of the rider has a big part to play.Personally I don't think riders should be allowed to cary pillions for 2 years after getting their licences or they attend rider training .
    Seems sensible to me Frosty. Everyone on a bike should wear reasonable safety gear. You get in a car and you put on your seat belt. You get on your bike and you (and your pillion) put on your helmet, gloves etc. You can't carry passengers in your car on your learners, so perhaps take pillion pegs off L plated bikes??

Seems a bit of a no brainer, although you can't carry around spare gear so you won't be giving that nice blonde you've just met a the party a lift back to her place.

Yep life's a dangerous occupation, but I guess you can't appreciate life without some risk.

Thread Information