Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local paper front page "Threat to Pukekohe motorsport"

Bike
    R6 & CRF sold, new bike is coming

Local paper front page "Threat to Pukekohe motorsport"

Don,t know if you track types are interested in an article on the front page of our local paper.
    there is no link thingy so I guess if you want details I'll have to copy the bloody thing out, no scanner, not that I even know what a scanner is !

It says, If the planned Hampton Downs Motorsport park gets off the ground, you can kiss goodbye to Pukekohe Park raceway as a motorsport venue. This is the veiw of Mark Petch-publisher of NZ autocar magazine with 40 yeras experience in the motorsport industry and steward at Counties Racing Club.

A group of motorsport enthusiaasts has revealed its plans to devlop the countrys premier motorsport complex near meremere. The group says the project hinges on the granting of resorce consents, but it says the finances are all in place for the multi millon dollar complex, which could hold its first race meeting in late 2006.

Mr Petch offered his servicesd to to advise the Counties Racing Club on the best use of Pukekohe Parks raceway morosport operations when the club took control of motorsport operations in June.

He is saddened by the club attitude toward motorsport. The committee made a decison to detfer any spending other than patching up the track for three years. Thats extremely short sighted in my veiw, says Mr Petch.

I proposed a business plan to look at motorsport activities that will be commercaally viable.

They've put it in the too hard basket and are happy to have the minium requirment to have their motorsport license.

Manager of the CRC, Greg Mitchell says the committee talked about Mr Petch plans, but says the club does not have the money to follow then through.

"How can we defer spending when we haven't got the money to spend?.We will continue to run motorsport as we have in the past untill we have further funds to develope it further." says Mr Mitchell.

The track is booked every day untill October when it closes for a period for drainage work, so were very busy". Contd on page 8 ,(opps)

Mr Mitchel says the people behind the devlopement at Meremere have not spoken to the club about it, so he says he does not know much about it "

But Mr Petch is adamant that if it goes ahed it will mean the death of motorsport at Pukekohe.

All corporate and motorsport heavyweights will sign up down there so fast there'll be a stampede.

I wanted Pukekohe to put its hand up as a premier motorsport venue, but I have not succeeded, and I don't think I ever will.

One of the main problems is the committee cannot get their heads around resloving the differences and conflits between hourse racing and motor racing. I am dismayed by the Ostrich -like approach of the committee, the "She'll be alright attitude towards motor racing.

Phew, bugger this, don't think I could ever be a Jurno, hope this is of interest to someone.

F/F
    "Kiwi Biker, still a great place despite the mods "

"Would crawl over broken glass before owning Suzuki"

The only reason I only ride in the Iron man Class is I have no friends left to enter the two man events,
    my own fault really.

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    thanks dave, it certainly is of interest!

I dunno why a new track would be the death of pukekohe. The Hampton Downs track will obviously be totally different to Pukekohe (you'd be an idiot to design somethign similar from a commerically unique productpoint of view) so we'll end up with two different tracks up here. I don't see the problem! Sure, pukekohe may end up being a slightly poor cousin to a brand new venue but it's still a great track for a thrash and I can't see it falling into disuse simply because another one opens.

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Fucking rich wankers with their "one horsepower"..... I hate the narrow minded wankalot business types that want a quick fix and the $$$ now...... Dont they realise that they can make HUGE amounts of money if they put some effort into the track, whilst still being able to play with their "horsies"
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    Yep very interesting...When I heard about the new Motorsport park I wondered how Pukekohe would be affected by it.

Although it'd be sad to see Pukekohe go, I'm sure I'll get over it pretty quick lapping around the Motorsport park!!

Bike

Re the word

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkiwi
    thanks dave, it certainly is of interest!

I dunno why a new track would be the death of pukekohe. The Hampton Downs track will obviously be totally different to Pukekohe (you'd be an idiot to design somethign similar from a commerically unique productpoint of view) so we'll end up with two different tracks up here. I don't see the problem! Sure, pukekohe may end up being a slightly poor cousin to a brand new venue but it's still a great track for a thrash and I can't see it falling into disuse simply because another one opens.

Not sure my self CK , but most people I have spoken with reckon the horse people want shot of all aspects of motorsport at Pukekohe.

Sadly most of puke want it too stay !

F/F

The only reason I only ride in the Iron man Class is I have no friends left to enter the two man events,
    my own fault really.

Bike
    2005 GN250
    Thanx for filling us in FF!

I am quite excited about this new circuit myself however it'd be nice to have Pukie there as well. Attacking a blind corner at 200+ kmph is something about Pukie that's really something else...

Bike
    BSA A10
    I won't be sorry to see it go in fact the sooner they bulldoze that Pukekohe shithole and build a decent track the better,the place was crap when I went there in 89 and hasn't changed in all that time,the facilties are shyte and it's a boring track.

Unfortunately most of that seems to be due to the donkey racing tossers that aren't really interested in the place as a motorsport venue.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike

re price stucture

Have no idea how accurate this will be, a dude I know who works at the track with Gary, rang me last night, he reckons that the people behind the new track, are not keen on track days for bikes and would be pricing them to discourage bikes from going down there, doesn't make a lot of sense to me :confused2 , anyway will keep my ears open, and advise. The new track is a hot topic in Pukekohe atm, will adivse as more info comes in.

F/F

my own fault really.

Bike
    2005 GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefight
    Have no idea how accurate this will be, a dude I know who works at the track with Gary, rang me last night, he reckons that the people behind the new track, are not keen on track days for bikes and would be pricing them to discourage bikes from going down there, doesn't make a lot of sense to me :confused2 , anyway will keep my ears open, and advise. The new track is a hot topic in Pukekohe atm, will adivse as more info comes in.

F/F
    Thanx again FF!

What's this BS about no bikes!!

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    well, no track days means no bike testing... and no bike testing means no MNZ race rounds... so screw 'em! I don't know of a single track that would discourage biking other than those that are built so dangerously like bathurst... perhaps they want to skimp and save on construction costs and avoid putting in bike friendly run off areas? (seems stupid to me given that gravel/grass is so damn cheap!)

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefight
    Not sure my self CK , but most people I have spoken with reckon the horse people want shot of all aspects of motorsport at Pukekohe.

Sadly most of puke want it too stay !

F/F
    Pukekohe is expensive and poorly serviced. Even Manfield has undercover pits, power, etc.
    The motorsport is what has kept Puke afloat for a long time. the horse racing is never a big earner - how many people go to horse racing these days, esp mid week?
    The horse track is a big limitation of the desgn of the motor track. If this new track can bring some competition and more events, I am behind it 100%
    Geoff
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    BSA A10
    A Little bit more on the new track
    http://xtramsn.co.nz/motoring/0,,6304-3545474,00.html

But as for getting a F1 race I think they're dreaming
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike

Re article

Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha
    A Little bit more on the new track
    http://xtramsn.co.nz/motoring/0,,6304-3545474,00.html

But as for getting a F1 race I think they're dreaming

Thanks Kickaha, very intersting, I heard locally that "Fulton Hogan" were involved someway with this, The dude I spoke with said they (FH) either owned the land, or would sell the land to the developers, if they got the contract for the civil works, am going down to local council to see if I can learn a bit more about the project.

F/F

my own fault really.

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    so what does this mean? "at the moment they don't face any serious competiton in the greater Auckland area from elsewhere. That may change in the not-too-distant future."??

Or is that just talking about a Pukekohe upgrade?
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike

another article in Franklin County News.

For those interested another article on the proposed new racr track @ Hampton downs. From page 3 this time it reads,.

A proposed motorsport park at Hampton downs has recived mixed response from locals. The porposal would see a sealed circut, gargaes, and apartments on the 160H site near meremere drag strip.

One of the main drivers behind the project Tony Roberts, says he has been meeting with local residents."The immediate neighbours are reasonably happy with the project, they seem to se it as progress" he says..

Local leaseholder Brendon Cochrane frams adjacent to the site of the proposed park and feels it is generally positive.'I quite like the concept , admittedly Ia'm a bit of a petrol head".

"For me the major issue will be the increase in traffic but these guys seem to be very good at delivering what they promise'".

With the land bought and the finance for the multi millon dollar proposal confirmed, Mr Roberts says the resource consents will soon be made to Waikato District council.

Mayor Peter Harris says the project has merit. " I think it has some exciting prospects> It will be an up market devlopment and to have it in the North Waikato will be great " he says.

However, local landowner David Saxton says he has not heard much about the project and is looking forward to meeting with Mr Roberts,.

"I am not that comfortable with it, but given we have been beaten up over the prison and the dump, its probably not worth getting involved.

(By Ross Parsons)
    list of key points also in article.

1) Hampton Downs Complex will be just off the Hampton downs over bridge off SH1.

2) The men behind the project are Tony Roberts and Chris Watson of the Historic Racing Club, will not reveal who has put up the money for the project.

3)There will be a 3.8 km sealed circut to FIA category level two, no onther circut in NZ has this ranking.

4)Local farmers and neighbours will be offered free pass's to the meetings..

5)There will be 32 covered garages, a skid pan, kart track and an area for off road 4wd.

6) It is hoped resource consent will be granted in early 2005, with the first race meeting in late 2006.

Okay,To all the padantic pricks, sorry for any spelling mistakes, seems my eyes are not as good as I thought., just wish I had a scanner, or local paper had a link thingy.

F/F

my own fault really.

Thread Information