Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid RF900 Mikuni Downdraught carbs - require expert advice

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries

Angry Stupid RF900 Mikuni Downdraught carbs - require expert advice

Okay, the bloody RF's shat another jet needle. Same carbie, number 1, as last time. Only this time I can't find the bottom of the needle that broke off.

I know. I pulled the float bowl cover off (and lost the bloody float needle valve taking the float out - damn things fall out and bounce on the gargre floor and are never seen again) and stripped the top of the carb and there's only the top of it left where it mounts to the diaphragm.

So, I have a spare jet needle, or I can buy another one. I've pulled out the needle jet (or the emulsion tube, if you prefer) and the whole assembly and I'm looking at it now inside the house.

I'm damned if I can work out why this sucker is snapping jet needles. I've checked the plastic holder for the slide and there's no more movement in no.1 carb than there is in any of the other ones. The needle jet doesn't appear to be ovalised (although it looks pretty worn to me - I'll get one of the experts at Welly Motorcycles to look at it tomorrow when I order a new one I reckon).

Carbs are pretty simple (once you disregard the fact that they're full of tiny little bits) but this ones got me buggered.

What's causing this problem? Is it the needle jet? Or is there enough wear
    in the throttle slide to make this rattle or what?

Bloody Mikuni Downdraught carbs are a liability... this month's disposable was supposed to be going towards a new helmet dammit.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Did you replace them all when the first one broke? Or was this another "old" one. It certainly shouldn't have broken a NEW needle in that time
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Four brand new genuine Suzuki parts.

At ridiculous cost - about $15 each.

and a long, long wait from Japan for them to arrive too.

Which is why I'm scratching my head.

It's not lasted long. I replaced all of them as three were worn last time but it was No. 1 that broke last time.

Didn't do the needle jets though as they're $30-40 EACH.
    Last edited by riffer; 22nd February 2007 at 20:46.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Okay - a few pics here.

For the unitiated the black bit is the the throttle slide (what the jet needle sits in and what goes up and down the carbie when you pull back the throttle) and the white bit is the throttle slide holder, a bit of plastic that fits into the cab body and allows the throttle slide to go up and down.

There seems to be some wear at the final level of travel of the throttle slide holder which has caused it to flare out and this I believe may be introducing an element of yaw into the movement of the throttle slide, particularly under conditions of extreme acceleration (like trying to lose Fat Jim in the Welly traffic). I have rotated the throttle slide slightly to sit it hard up against one side to accentuate this wear level. Pictures 2 and 3 really show the level of flaring evident.

Is this amount of wear within tolerance? What the hell are the tolerances anyway?

And yes, you can't get these parts anymore so we're going to have to have a completely different conversation about how to fix this slide holder...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wear in throttle slide 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	54521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wear in throttle slide 2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	54522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wear in throttle slide 3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	54523  

That's a carburettor?!!!! Plastic this and plastic that....I think this could be half the problem.I'm so happy cars don't have carbs anymore - when a customer comes in with a carb problem I just say we don't do those anymore,go somewhere else sucker.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    I would think that breaking a needle is fairly unusual, typical "out of spec" is due to wear. For the needle to break it must be side loaded at some point which assumes there is a mis alignment somewhere.
    Typically needles float horizontally, only being restrained vertically to allow for a bit of slop in the slider mechanisim....so either there is way too much slop or the needle is being restrained horizontally.
    I suggest you reassemble that carb with another needle and try manually working the throttle slide to detect where the interference occurs. Coat the needle with something like engineers blue and look for where the first point of contact occurs on the needle.

If that fails, send it to me, I'll put it on my desk for two weeks, look at it occassionally and then send it back......

Good luck

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I took it in to Wellington Motorcycles and had a good long talk to Bruce the workshop manager.

According to him, there's too much wear in the throttle slide holder and throttle slide, as both are made of plastic and the needles are just going to break if I don't replace these parts.

You can get a new throttle slide & diaphragm $119 each
    You can't get a new throttle slide holder.

I also need new needle jets $45 each

Plus the float needle valve only comes as an entire assembly at $78

So that's $750 already...

I'm thinking its going to be cheaper to get another set of carbs from a wrecker, and use bits off both the get a good set.

Oh - and some fuckwit loctited the float bowl retaining screws on the carbs too so I rooted them with the impact driver getting them off...

not a happy bunny.

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Bugger, thats 6% of the price of a new SV1000!! (Guess what I've been looking at)

Second hand maybe ok if a low mileage example is available but you may be better off getting new and being sure that the parts are worth paying for.

Second hand is not neccessarily value for money on high wear components.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Fuck me (thats just an expression)

I'll stick with the old AMAL on the Triumph thanks... I could buy 3 whole carbs NEW for that.

I'd put a couple of DCOE Webers on it.....
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    can you get small (I'm guessing 36 or thereabouts) downdraught DCOEs? It would be an interesting exercise, and DCOEs look nice
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post

What's causing this problem?.
    Trying to drag the Fatjim off at the Melling lights! Thats twice now.
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Fuck me (thats just an expression)

I'll stick with the old AMAL on the Triumph thanks... I could buy 3 whole carbs NEW for that.
    Yeah, and whats the chance of it ever running smoothly again?
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim View Post
    Trying to drag the Fatjim off at the Melling lights! Thats twice now.
    I hate you James.

Bike killer.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Crumbs, the slide has worn as well! Hadn't considered that they were plastic too. Could have sworn mine were ally coated black & there was some ally exposed on the load bearing surfaces. Maybe I dreamt that.

I was devising a plan to mill the top 5mm off the guide & glue a new section of plastic on the top & milled to suit. Wonder what type of plastic to use? You could adjust in a bit of taper to fit the worn slides.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information