Thread: CBR radiator/cooling system

Bike
    None

CBR radiator/cooling system

Ok guys, just got me a 88' CBR250.

Just wondering how the cooling system works, how I fill up the radiator, what to fill it up with? (I've heard some people mention a 50/50 mix of water and coolant).

Any advice would be great

Cheers guys.

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    take your tank off (you have to take the seat off)

Then under the tank, you will see the radiator cap.

Fill it with 50/50 coolant...

How a cooling system works is simple. Heat transfers from your engine, into the water, the water then flows through the pipes, where the radiator creates a large surface area for the heat in the water to transfer to the air. then the water flows back to the engine to do it again.

Also check your coolant resvior which is behind the left hand, rear sidecover IIRC

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones View Post
    Ok guys, just got me a 88' CBR250.

Just wondering how the cooling system works, how I fill up the radiator, what to fill it up with? (I've heard some people mention a 50/50 mix of water and coolant).

Any advice would be great

Cheers guys.

-Indy
    If your keen I can come show you how to flush your radiator system. Im an expert now.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    None
    How do I drain out the old Coolent? I can't seem to find a drain point etc.

Edit: Also, what is that clear container just behind/ on the of the back part of the engine? it looks like coolent?

Cheers

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    '01 VTR SP1, '92 NSR300, rm125,
    on the waterpump to the left side of engine there is a bolt, unscrew it and let it drain, this is the lowest point with most pressure,

use 300 ml of coolant to 1 litre of water, and slowly top up, holding bike upright, untill water setles, then startup bike and let idle until hot, thermostat will open and water will flow through top up slightly more and this lets it bleed also to highest point (radiatorcap)

hope it helped, i did this on my cbr250
    zzzzzZZZ

Bike
    None :(
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane_r View Post
    on the waterpump to the left side of engine there is a bolt, unscrew it and let it drain, this is the lowest point with most pressure,

use 300 ml of coolant to 1 litre of water, and slowly top up, holding bike upright, untill water setles, then startup bike and let idle until hot, thermostat will open and water will flow through top up slightly more and this lets it bleed also to highest point (radiatorcap)

hope it helped, i did this on my cbr250
    Don't forget to remove the radiator cap while draining - otherwise you may be waiting for a while.

Bike
    '96 suzuki GSF600s,'86 CBR400R Aero
    look at it instructions on ya m/c coolants... some now come ready to use, already diluted with distilled/deionized water.

this may be of intrest to ya http://www.dansmc.com/watercooling.htm

as for flushing ya system, this is a cheep & very simple radiator flush.
    go ta ya supermarket & by 'white distilled vinegar' mix 50/50 with some distilled water. fill da system with da 50/50 mix then run ya bike till warm. when cool again, drain & run clean water through it wash out da vinegar. ... its like cleaning ya coffie maker or kettle. vinegar is acidic enough to remove any scale /impurities...but not harsh enough to damage ya gaskets & seals.
    ... alot of auto radiator flushes are too harsh

just my 10 cents worth
    asked Mom if I was a gifted child ... she said they certainly wouldn't have paid for me.

Thread Information