Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KBers join up with others to do Takapari Road

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    The hut was called Travers Hut on my GPS map - how correct that is who knows?
    Yes I have been there a few times and on my maps it shows as Travers Hut, great pics again Merv.
    Didnt invite me though and I was down that way on the trusty ole DRZ

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Yeah by the time we were coming home it was sun to the West stuff so I wasn't seeing anything to my right at Waikanae. Hope you all had a good time there.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Jackie Black
    Takapari Road is off Pohangina Valley East (?) road and you turn at the old overgrown post office?

How far is it up to the top?

Great photos - looks like you had a great day!
    Some days you are the bug , some days you are the windshield

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by mazz1972 View Post
    Takapari Road is off Pohangina Valley East (?) road and you turn at the old overgrown post office?

How far is it up to the top?

Great photos - looks like you had a great day!
    It is about 16km from Pohangina Valley East Road to the A Frame Hut and you go from 335 metres above sea level to a peak of 1173 m and that took about 50 minutes including all the photo stops, enjoying the view and opening of gates according to my GPS.

After having lunch we went an extra 4.8km past the hut until the road started looking a bit dodgy and we thought it was time to turn for home so we'd at least get home in daylight.

Coming down from the hut with gate stops only was 33 minutes.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Jackie Black
    Excellent thanks, it sounds like a must do at some stage. Have been past that road a quite few times but never up it! You mention there are gates, do you need keys for these?

Did you stop in at the post office and have a look? It's a blast from the past.
    Some days you are the bug , some days you are the windshield

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    No keys needed and no we didn't stop at any Post Office and if it was the building at the start of the road behind the bushes we just assumed it was private property and stayed out.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    03 Z1000, 98 BMW F650, 91 Zephyr 750...

Canadian Kiwi envies the riding ... we are snow bound.

Looks like a lot of fun - we were looking forward to getting out in the next few weeks - 19 degrees on the weekend. But... another 4 inches of snow fell last night, and we are back to the ski hill!! Thanks Lynnda for pointing me to biking fun :-) Cheers, Rachel. (Canada).

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Rachel most of NZ has now just been hit with a slight touch of winter but we hope its passing quickly coz we had such a bad lead up to February here in Wellington we want more summer for riding. We certainly don't want snow like you are getting.

p.s. good to see you on the site first post. Enjoy your biking.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    XJR1300/EC250/SRX600/TLR250/MuZ660/KLX45
    Gerald came in to work excited about the ride and the new found abilities of his DL650.
    However today he went off to hospital to get his right wrist checked (as a result of a spill on the ride) and came back with it in plaster.
    You guys are going to have to be gentle with him as he is older than I am.
    I was busy throwing my Gas Gas around at the Kapiti enduro on Saturday.

Bike
    BMW R1200GS hexhead.Suzuki DR650K6,CT110
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryin Finn View Post
    Gerald came in to work excited about the ride and the new found abilities of his DL650.
    However today he went off to hospital to get his right wrist checked (as a result of a spill on the ride) and came back with it in plaster.
    You guys are going to have to be gentle with him as he is older than I am.
    I was busy throwing my Gas Gas around at the Kapiti enduro on Saturday.
    I understand Gerald has ridden trials in the past. Certainly he demonstrated great skill on the 'wee Strom' on Tourances no less. I was pleased, on seeing some off the steep, loose rock descents to have left my 'leven fiddy' at home in favour of the little DR. Thanks to Recycled for counselling me to ride the DR. Cheers Aslan

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Sorry to hear about Gerald's wrist.

The wrist should mend but I thought he'd be more concerned about the scratches he put in the nice black panels.

He was game how far he took that bike, because me I'm a light bike type rider myself and also said to Aslan take the DR and not the BMW.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    1998 BMW 650F

Smile I will be there next time

Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    It is about 16km from Pohangina Valley East Road to the A Frame Hut and you go from 335 metres above sea level to a peak of 1173 m and that took about 50 minutes including all the photo stops, enjoying the view and opening of gates according to my GPS.

After having lunch we went an extra 4.8km past the hut until the road started looking a bit dodgy and we thought it was time to turn for home so we'd at least get home in daylight.

Coming down from the hut with gate stops only was 33 minutes.
    Looks like you guys had a fantastic day out. Will be there next time you go. I was up country at the time missed out. However to add to the little adventures I have with my little red F650 I did get to witness the Lahar flow on my return ride yesterday, capturing many images of its might and dramatic power......and quoted on the front page of the Dom!

I actually had a great ride through Whangamomona back roads too.
    [I]'Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.' Kahlil Gabran

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Shiner

You're one for the media limelight! How did the new tyres go in the lahar?

Bike
    2007 BMW F650GS / 2004 DRZ250
    I have heard that DOC have erected a locked gate about 300m below the A frame hut. Apparently in a prick of a spot if you're in a vehicle as there is no room to turn around.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Oh stuff, and I was hoping to get Mrs merv up there sometime.
    Cheers

Merv

Thread Information