Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha XT660X - who's got one?

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes

Yamaha XT660X - who's got one?

Just looking for some info with regards to the Yamaha XT660X.

For those that have or have had one, what mods did you find worked best for you? Im looking for more in terms of handing and power rather than looks and comfort.

Otherwise how do you find the bike in general?
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Stick it in the road bike section. AFter all it IS a motard...

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    yeh... dual purpose
    KiwiBitcher

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Stick it in the road bike section. AFter all it IS a motard...
    And motards only go on the road

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    so why do they go over dirt ramps etc when racing them?

(if the mods agree with my two friends here please feel free to move the thread)
    KiwiBitcher

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Note the smiley and the 2 motards listed in my profile...

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Hi

I just brought a 2005 xt660x. Power doesn't even feel close to a ttr600 I also test rode (my arms are 20mm longer after riding the ttr - pity my back said 'NO' to the kickstart).

The 660 handles the road brilliantly and ride comfort is very good but power could only be called adequate - I think about 44 hp stock (hopefully a set of cans will at least make me think I am going faster).

Modified with cans, fuel system mods and airbox/filter mods they seem to dyno at about 50hp.

Don't know how 'dual purpose' they are - I am keen to try some different tires and find out - front tire choice is very limited.

Fuel Injection is very 'snatchy' from being too lean - there are various low buck fixes that make a big difference - have a look at xt660.com - it has all the info you could ask for.

cheers

Mark

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    I rode the XT660X and enjoyed it, i dont think it is very dual purpose at all, unless you intend to get the XT660T and have a set of motard rims spare...

Someone said to me that they are having some sort of engine trouble as they get higher up in the km's too... but i hear what you are saying about the power... the handling of the bike was a nice way to utilise that power though.

However, i ended up riding a WR450F motard later in the week, which is nearly 50kg lighter and had atleast 15-20hp more than the XT... no doubt which one was more fun! Only draw back of the WR is that it needs to be rebuilt every 5000km or so, and it doesnt come standard as a motard.

I have however opted to stay with the sportsbikes for the meantime, my friend has kindly said the WR is available from time to time for a short blat around the local roads so im sure my motard bone won't get too itchy
    KiwiBitcher

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    In reality the 660 is a motard in name and appearance only. Its too heavy and doesn't have enough power to be 'a slide round corners, pop wheelies down straights' serious motard weapon.

But Its a good all rounder that can sit comfortably at 100k's for hours (wouldn't want to do that on a hard core trail/mx/motard bike like the wr450 or even something tamer like a drz400 - too buzzy and not stable enough in cross winds etc) - I would also imagine the 660 could keep up with sport bikes quite well in the really twisty stuff. Horses for courses as usual.

Do you have any idea what the engine trouble was? Yamaha big singles (I thought) generally have a name for being super reliable don't they?

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Do you have any idea what the engine trouble was? Yamaha big singles (I thought) generally have a name for being super reliable don't they?
    Thats what i was lead to believe too from other peoples experience... can't exactly remember what the problem was, there wasn't anything about it on the XT660 forum when i looked
    KiwiBitcher

Bike
    2008 XT660X
    I have had a XT660X for 2 1/2 years now. Mods done Power Commander, stage 1 & 2 filters with moded airbox, front spring spacers, Carbon Can exhaust system, removing the orginal cats save you 8kgs in weight. On the Dyno I got 53HP with a custom fuel map. I love my bike & will be buying the new 2008 XT660X when it hits the bike shops next year.

Year models 04 to 05 had fuelling problems & is easily fixed up with an up graded Engine ECU, mine was done under warranty. There is also a modified TPS that sorts out the cutting out issue.

Apart from the above hick ups the bike is a fun bike to ride. It is not a true motard but can stand it's ground through the twistys.

Bike
    2008 XT660X
    I am now on my second XT660X, new in Jan 2008.

My mods so far.
    PCIII, DNA stage 1 & 2 filters, Carbon Can Companies cans.I have just fitted a Raptor 700cc barrel with a JE 11:1 compression ratio piston kit & a stage 1 Hotcam. PCIII LCD display tunner, Pro tapper bars & a few other mods.

Running it in at the moment & will have a Dyno print out soon.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by xtx View Post
    I am now on my second XT660X, new in Jan 2008.

My mods so far.
    PCIII, DNA stage 1 & 2 filters, Carbon Can Companies cans.I have just fitted a Raptor 700cc barrel with a JE 11:1 compression ratio piston kit & a stage 1 Hotcam. PCIII LCD display tunner, Pro tapper bars & a few other mods.

Running it in at the moment & will have a Dyno print out soon.

Very nice, sweet in those colours too.

Bike
    2008 XT660X
    It was 51.8 HP before the 700cc stage 1 cam conversion, keen to see what the gains are after the conversion.

Some more photos of the conversion.

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Quote Originally Posted by xtx View Post
    I have just fitted a Raptor 700cc barrel
    Shit, that's possible?!

I've ridden the latest, fuel injected Raptor and it was effing nuts! Are you able to boost the XT to that kinda raw power?

Thread Information