Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pajero vs Bighorn. What to buy?

Bike
    raptor 1000
    i have had a 96 prado for 4.5 years -comfortable, fast, reliable,tows my 18ft caravan and 17 ft boat no worries, good resale and i have had a Pajero and would never own another.......weak gearbox, cracked head, eventually motor shit itself

Bike
    97-CBR1100xx-VTRSP2-CBR600

pajaro

no no stay away from the pajaro
    go the prado good toy motor quility
    Steel and Bullets
    <! !>

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    I have had a 93 Bighorn for 6 years now with about 250km's on it. I looked at Pajero's as an option before I bought and am glad I bought the Bighorn (despite that really embarrasing name).
    Short answer (as others have said) is that the Pajero's are weak mechanically, the Isuzu is built like a brick shithouse but they seem to have weak ancillaries, starter motors, alternators and auto gearboxes can pack up.
    The main mechanical stuff, motor & chassis is robust as all hell.

I like it because it can tow stuff, handles well (for a 4x4) and is well built. I don't like paying for the fuel or repairs, they are thirsty and costly to maintain. You need a good reason to want to pay for the running costs.

Quality wise I rate the Toyota as a better vehicle but value for money the Isuzu was what I chose.

If you are only after a people carrier, I would look at a petrol people carrier or station wagon or if $ is enough a modern diesel version but not a 4x4.

Look seriously at the potential running costs the 4x4 is bloody expensive.

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    You could maybe get a car. Good fuel economy, not like to kill the occupants of the other car you crash into whilst talking on your cellphone, don't pollute so much, easier to park...

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    thanks guys
    We are leaning towards the bighorn but still want to know more.
    Would love a Prado but out of our budget $10k.and they crack heads.
    what are the big yearly running costs that are associated with the diesels?.
    Besides the blown motors cracked heads?.

techanly dont need a 7 seater, but not going to put baby inbetween the two fighting kids we got allready.

Bike
    bandit 1200s

Cool What!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nallac View Post
    yeah we had a third option . prado .but we can't afford one.van/people mover out of the question .Not quite at that retirement/given up on life sort of stage.
    Prado's are worth it - they're bloody good.
    Personaly I wouldn't go for a pajero or bighorn, they're really substandard; put a few klm's on it and you won't be able to sell it for love nor money, put a new set of tyres on and you double it's value. If something goes wrong with the drive units or engine you'll end up spending more than what it's worth to fix it. I know people who have them parked up, or give them away - it's cheaper to get another one than to fix the old one.

If you can't afford a Prado then check out a Surf with the prado engine, I have a Nissan Navara - very reliable and affordable.

I've also got a Toyota Grandvia Van - it's got a 3ltr Turbo Diesel Prado engine in it. You can get them in 4x4 too. It's certainly not a 'given up on life thing at all'. My wife loves the room in them, and the fact she just lifts the pram up and puts it in the back with out folding it up. If you test drove one you might change your mind.
    Lifes Just one big ride - buckle up or hang on

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Why the hell do you need a bloody 4x4

is your wife going to be a serious off road driver?? i think not.

What is with this countries inability to think logically and buy a car that is more fuel efficient, safer, and less of an eye sore.

I mean really, what 'advantages' does a big 4x4 have over nice stationwagon? .... So the driver can drive like a complete fuckwit and be completly oblivious to the people around??

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by RG100!! View Post
    I mean really, what 'advantages' does a big 4x4 have over nice stationwagon? .... So the driver can drive like a complete fuckwit and be completly oblivious to the people around??

You & me need to go for a play up in the hills sometime in my Missus' 4x4. You'll see.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    hills as in muddy grass hills, or as in road hills??

Bike
    Diamondback.
    My local mechanic said the same as what Motu said, so I ditched the idea of an SUV style vehicle, and bought a cruddy old Nissan Skyline wagon, which has been a pearler, and at the 3 year mark, hasn't failed a warrant yet.

I'd never owned a Nissan before it, and would gladly buy another now.
    Homer you shot the zombie Flanders !
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    I know this may not be terribly helpful, but,
    I would take an older Toyota over either vehicle myself.
    Good luck finding what you need.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    TF125
    hills as in muddy grass hills, or as in road hills??
    The track off the Akatarawa summit it fun, scary but fun.

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    Why the hell do you need a bloody 4x4

is your wife going to be a serious off road driver?? i think not.

What is with this countries inability to think logically and buy a car that is more fuel efficient, safer, and less of an eye sore.

because we want one thats why.

whats with owning a motor bike for transport when you can only take 2 people max when you can buy a little suzuki/toyota etc 4seater car that gets the same fuel economy?.
    Its all about personal choice.
    its what we want.

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    Prado's are worth it - they're bloody good.
    Personaly I wouldn't go for a pajero or bighorn, they're really substandard; put a few klm's on it and you won't be able to sell it for love nor money, put a new set of tyres on and you double it's value. If something goes wrong with the drive units or engine you'll end up spending more than what it's worth to fix it. I know people who have them parked up, or give them away - it's cheaper to get another one than to fix the old one.

If you can't afford a Prado then check out a Surf with the prado engine, I have a Nissan Navara - very reliable and affordable.

I've also got a Toyota Grandvia Van - it's got a 3ltr Turbo Diesel Prado engine in it. You can get them in 4x4 too. It's certainly not a 'given up on life thing at all'. My wife loves the room in them, and the fact she just lifts the pram up and puts it in the back with out folding it up. If you test drove one you might change your mind.
    we have driven a grandvia one of our friends has got one.
    they go bloody well for what they are. the wife drove it back from Auks on thursday said it went well but doesn't think she could handle a bus.
    father inlaw has got a 96 3l td surf goes hard but not seven seater.
    I'd like a toyota but can't stretch the budget that far.

re given up on life that was a little bit of bad sarcasim

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    i have a 96 bighorn, 3.1 ... its great .. seriously would look at another one in future .. comfy to drive long distance .. does not have much pick up at low speed but cruises very well over 100ks .. & has great pick up in high gear ..

excellent to tow very stable (both horses & stockcars)

running costs .. My truck is weighted for 3 ton .. yes this does cost more than if it was weighted for 2 ton, but figured with 2 big horses & float would be just over the two ton mark anyhow ..

I get approx 5-600ks on a tank of diesel, & am meticulous about regular fuel/oil filter changes .. had it about 18months & no other major repairs needed ..

we brought it on special for just over 10,000 & still has not depreciated that much

so Road user charges for 5,000ks approx $175, rego for a yr bout 250 & then since i have great friends who do the oil changes etc .. approx $90 every 5000 ks

dunno that I will ever change back to a car ..
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Thread Information