Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pajero vs Bighorn. What to buy?

Bike
    Ninja ZX-6R
    IMHO if you cant stretch to a Toyota Prado and looking at older models go for the Nissan Patrol.

Ohlins Steering Damper - Shogun Fairing Protectors - Wheel Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    With the exception of the TD42, would you agree Motu?
    All the TD Nissan engines,4 and 6 cyl,Nissan make the best diesel engine of all the Japanese.My LD20 powered Vanette has done 325,000km and has given no problems at all apart from oil leaks,starter and alt....the Pajero has done 310,000km,but it has taken 2 engines and 3 cyl heads to get there.

The Prado is pretty good,but bloody ugly...it's an '80's design school throw back.The 2LT gives more cyl head problems than both Mitsi engines combined,the 3L is much better,but can break cranks.The later Toyota diesels use bucket followers - a broken cambelt in this style of engine means a broken camshaft and total destruction of the head....Mitsi and Isuzu just break rockers or bend pushrods.None of these diesel engines can be overheated without problems - I've never seen a 2LT or 3C Toyota overheat without cracking the head,there is no room for error.

For those who want to rubbish the Mitsi 4x4 auto - in the trade it's known as the ''Toyota'' box,it's an Asian Warner,but used in more Toyota's than Mitsi's.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Toyota Previa? Why the 4wheel drive need?
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    yeah thought about them or vx landcruiser, but thought they'd be to slow,
    haven't driven either of them thou.

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Toyota Previa? Why the 4wheel drive need?
    2.4 petrol? they use as much gas as our V8 fairmont we sold.
    4x4? don't really need it.
    just handy to have.good to tow with.etc.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    All the TD Nissan engines,4 and 6 cyl,Nissan make the best diesel engine of all the Japanese.My LD20 powered Vanette has done 325,000km and has given no problems at all apart from oil leaks,starter and alt....the Pajero has done 310,000km,but it has taken 2 engines and 3 cyl heads to get there.

The Prado is pretty good,but bloody ugly...it's an '80's design school throw back.The 2LT gives more cyl head problems than both Mitsi engines combined,the 3L is much better,but can break cranks.The later Toyota diesels use bucket followers - a broken cambelt in this style of engine means a broken camshaft and total destruction of the head....Mitsi and Isuzu just break rockers or bend pushrods.None of these diesel engines can be overheated without problems - I've never seen a 2LT or 3C Toyota overheat without cracking the head,there is no room for error.

For those who want to rubbish the Mitsi 4x4 auto - in the trade it's known as the ''Toyota'' box,it's an Asian Warner,but used in more Toyota's than Mitsi's.
    My old 2.6L petrol PajeroBomb has done about 290000 km , no problems, original motor. Valve stem seals leak a bit of oil, it smokes for a couple of minutes when I start it after sitting for 2 or 3 weeks. Goes everywhere. Score so far is Pajero 1 (tree knocked over) , trees 1 (Pajero bumper dented)

Costs a fair bit in repairs to brakes and steering and suchlike, haven't spent a penny on the motor or transmission (manual) .

Do none of the Japs make a simple OHV iron head diesel? I can't see the point of alloy heads and OHC on a diesel, let alone bucket cam followers. WTF is with that, how high do the things rev anyway?

To me , a diesel is supposed to be a rock solid , low revving engine that goes for ever. Proper truck diesels regulalrly turn in over a million km without overhaul. That's what I expect from a diesel, not less longevity than petrol. Otherwise you might as well get a petrol engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Quote Originally Posted by nallac View Post
    2.4 petrol? they use as much gas as our V8 fairmont we sold.
    4x4? don't really need it.
    just handy to have.good to tow with.etc.

Yea, I think you can get them in diesel too. I wasn't aware they use alot of petrol. Mind you Ive never owned one
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by RG100!! View Post
    Why the hell do you need a bloody 4x4

is your wife going to be a serious off road driver?? i think not.

What is with this countries inability to think logically and buy a car that is more fuel efficient, safer, and less of an eye sore.

I mean really, what 'advantages' does a big 4x4 have over nice stationwagon? .... So the driver can drive like a complete fuckwit and be completly oblivious to the people around??
    FFS, get over it. People could make the same generalisation about motorcyclists being idiots, speeding everywhere, doing wheelies, scaring children, downright dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post

Do none of the Japs make a simple OHV iron head diesel? I can't see the point of alloy heads and OHC on a diesel, let alone bucket cam followers. WTF is with that, how high do the things rev anyway?

To me , a diesel is supposed to be a rock solid , low revving engine that goes for ever. Proper truck diesels regulalrly turn in over a million km without overhaul. That's what I expect from a diesel, not less longevity than petrol. Otherwise you might as well get a petrol engine.
    The Nissan TD series engines are what you want - TD23,27 and 42 6cyl,and others too.Chain drive cam,pushrods and cast iron head - the real deal diesel,run it until your grandkids pass it on to theirs.If you were a commercial operator and someone came to you with a new engine to run....and it was a diesel with dry liners and alloy head with a belt driven OHC that needed regular maintenance otherwise it would blow into a thousand pieces...you'd turn him around and out the door before he finished talking.A modern high speed diesel spins to 4500rpm,although my RD28 Nissan spins to 5200rpm....the rate of combustion doesn't allow them to spin more than 6,000rpm.A diesel doesn't need to make high rpm HP,it pulls under load,the combustion characteristics are suited to this kind of performance.

All these Japanese 4x4's are developments of earlier much more simple designs,your early petrol Pajero with no frills is closer to the original concept than my every extra laden model.....mind you,it hasn't got the heated seats,I really think it needs them....
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    raptor 1000
    regarding the Td Nissans when my pajero shit itself i repowered it with a 2.7 nissan motor, gearbox, transferbox costing $6500 (what the) and kept it for another couple of years then traded it as it was starting to rust it was a non turbo and fkn slow couldnt believe the difference between that and the handgrenade mitsie motor.I have had 6 Toyota Hiluxes for work trucks over the last 20 years and have had a prado also for the last 4.5 years and wouldnt bother with any other make. My latest hilux is the D4D model goes like shit off a stick and gets over 750 ks a tank, but it has had to have the thrust bearing replaced and that is also noisy, the last one was a 02 3ltr td dc 4x4 and in the 3 years i owned it i never opened the bonnet........ ever

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Terrible options really.

Pajero is Spanish for wanker and Bighorn suggests you are aroused.

I used to have a Honda Odyssey. Enjoyed that car and could carry loadsa people and stuff. Sold it to another KBer.

Unlike some people on KB I don't have any grudges against people who drive offroad vehicles on the road - who am I to argue with people who actively want to advertise the fact that they're dicks?
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    Terrible options really.

Pajero is Spanish for wanker and Bighorn suggests you are aroused.

I used to have a Honda Odyssey. Enjoyed that car and could carry loadsa people and stuff. Sold it to another KBer.

Unlike some people on KB I don't have any grudges against people who drive offroad vehicles on the road - who am I to argue with people who actively want to advertise the fact that they're dicks?
    i think you will find that most 4x4s arnt "off road " vehicles and just because you havnt found a use for one doesnt mean that the people who own one are dicks but everybody is entitled to their opinions like perhaps there are people out there who think people who ride vtr 250s are wankers

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo
    Used to have Land Rover Discovery V8. Gorgous machine, and being English will last forever!!

I used to tow boats, cars, pull tree stumps clean out of the ground... 4X4 tracks felt like a straight highway!

Build quality was fantastic and only problem I ever had with it was a broken vacuum hose!
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    FFS, get over it. People could make the same generalisation about motorcyclists being idiots, speeding everywhere, doing wheelies, scaring children, downright dangerous.
    Agreed, bikes should be taxed off the roads

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Dan View Post
    Used to have Land Rover Discovery V8. Gorgous machine, and being English will last forever!!
    Being English it'll last a few years then each warrant will start getting more and more expensive.

Could very well last you forever, just need to get a Toyota chassis and engine, take all the luxury electronics off like electric windows, etc. or keep it in the garage.

Thread Information