Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TradeMe - Some people are so stupid

Bike

Blah TradeMe - Some people are so stupid

I've been a member of TradeMe for however long now... and always though a lot of the crap on there is either simply "crap" or for the most part, overpriced.

I got my first taste of "oh buying that was stupid", about a year ago when I was watching an auction for a fishtank ordament. A little tortise/turtle holding a "no fishing" sign... thought it was cute and so I bid on it... was very proud of myself, won the auction, and including postage the ordament cost me $8. Sweet yes? No.

The day it arrived in the mail, Sam had gone to the Warehouse and brought pretty much the exact same ordament (except a lobster) for $4.

In short I lost $4 if I had just gone to the Warehouse. Since then I've done my research completely on every item I've brought off trademe... If its a bike part I call bike shops for quotes on new and second hand parts... same with everything else I check out on there... lesson learnt.

Also learnt to NOT bid on anything until the closing 2 minutes. Why help push the price up further?

Anyway... So I've listed some things on TradeMe, one of which being a product I brought from The Warehouse for... $22. After heaps of stupid questions, over 1000 veiws and 60 people have the item on thier watchlist... the auction is up to $50 now and had just 45 minutes left, so no doubt it will go up a few more dollars until it closes...

Just crazy... Couldn't help but laugh when I saw that this morning...

Remember people, check out prices before you bid on shit otherwise people like me (seller) will be laughing at you

*is so stoked at my profit for this auction*
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are missing

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong
    "Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

mucho papoosa bueno no panocha

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by placidfemme View Post
    check out prices before you bid on shit otherwise people like me (seller) will be laughing at you

*is so stoked at my profit for this auction*
    Stop.

Think for a moment.

What you're doing may not be illegal, but do you really want to be that sort of person?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    big black k6 GiX
    well done on contributing your bit to making Tard me the festing cesspit that it is

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

So post up a link to your profit making scheme.......

Let us all see what you are selling........

Bike
    lol sure but I'm not answering all your funny duddy questions...

Its a cheap as hell skateboard...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=93455692

Quote Originally Posted by Smorg
    well done on contributing your bit to making Tard me the festing cesspit that it is
    thanks

"Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    What you're doing may not be illegal, but do you really want to be that sort of person?
    Yeah, fark that.
    Fancy making a profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Thanks for the lessons in common sense Captain Obvious

Bike
    Fish.... yes I do

Bike
    None, sold.
    I've listed some things on TradeMe, one of which being a product I brought from The Warehouse for... $22. After heaps of stupid questions, over 1000 veiws and 60 people have the item on thier watchlist... the auction is up to $50 now and had just 45 minutes left, so no doubt it will go up a few more dollars until it closes...
    So: going to the warehouse, buying some piece of crap, bringing it home, getting bored of it, putting it on tardme, dealing with questions, getting paid for it and shipping the bastard for $30.

I think (I hope) my time is worth more than that.

Dave
    Signature needed. Apply within.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by RantyDave View Post
    So: going to the warehouse, buying some piece of crap, bringing it home, getting bored of it, putting it on tardme, dealing with questions, getting paid for it and shipping the bastard for $30.

Dave
    $30... are you getting it hand delivered in a limo?

Bike
    None, sold.
    $30... are you getting it hand delivered in a limo?
    No no no no no ... $30 for the whole shitfight. From hopping on the bike to go to the warehouse in the first place to the last thread on KB discussing how you're going to be rich ... RICH ... RICH I TELL YOU!!!!

YOU MOCK ME NOW, BUT JUST YOU WAIT TILL I'M...

or something like that.

Dave
    Signature needed. Apply within.

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Trade Me, like all things, has its good and bad points. I've managed to buy paperbacks in good condition for less than half the price they are new - and in many cases a lot cheaper than second-hand bookshops too. I've also managed to get rid of a pile of stuff I no longer used - like a food dehydrator! I bought it for $84 new and it eventually sold for $112 - did I feel guilty? A little, but then I set the reserve at half what I paid for it so it wasn't my fault two people really wanted it and kept bidding.

If you are buying, you have to be strict with yourself and not bid above what you think the item is worth unless it's a one-off and you know you can't get it anywhere else. As for paying $8 for something worth $4, tough, but when you factor in your time and petrol costs going to the Warehouse to buy the item, you probably didn't lose too much cash!

I have been selling some shoes for my sister and am amazed at what people are prepared to pay for them. We figured $15 at the most for them, but one buyer paid $82 for a pair she had been given for free, and were only worth about $30 new in any case!

I think it's a great place to get rid of the kinds of things that you can't get rid of elsewhere. Case in point - I had a Statue of Liberty moneybox that was a gift from a friend overseas. Absolutely hideous, made of some heavy grey metal and a real dust collector. I put it on with a $5 reserve and someone paid $31 for it! I've also sold Tupperware for more than what I paid for it - merely because people don't want to have a party or get constantly bothered by a dealer just to buy one small item.

Trade Me is like any other retail outlet - if you are buying something, shop around first to see who has it at the best price!
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    none

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by RantyDave View Post

Dave
    Did you read the original post?
    Read it again FFS.
    She never said it was a money making scheme, simply that she was quitting some shit and was amazed that people didn't do a little research into what they were purchasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    XJR1220
    A woman at work needed to raise enough money for a trip back to South Africa to see her family.

For six months she made repeat trips to the Warehouse, buying nick nacks, clothing etc and would resell it on TardMe. She made enough for the trip, and her spending money.

Personally, I never bid on anything without knowing the price for a new item.

Thread Information