Page 62 of 249 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: VFR owners' thread, for VFRPS members and prospective members

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    Seemed really interesting after a few beers.
    I can recommend "Stoke Amber", great beer.

Hmm, I love having new tyres. Perhaps one day I should set my vfr up on radials with better suspension.... one day..!
    I would LOVE to do some proper suspension work on mine. THough I'd want top shelf stuff.. $$$$$$$ x a million.
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by gatch View Post
    I would LOVE to do some proper suspension work on mine. THough I'd want top shelf stuff.. $$$$$$$ x a million.
    Ohlins shock say 1800, fork rebuild say a grand. totally worth the money
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Several
    Did You see the one the guy from Japan was on at Wangas?
    It was a real work of art, they had grafted a modern CBR600 front end on to it.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    About $2700 more than I have..

Everything needs harder springs, stiffer damping in both directions. Rear ride height needs elevating. May as well just get some Ohlins forks. I'm guessing 4k ? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    Did You see the one the guy from Japan was on at Wangas?
    It was a real work of art, they had grafted a modern CBR600 front end on to it.
    No I didn't, sounds like a good idea though. Cartridge forks FTW. Did they put the vfr front wheel in ? I like the wheels..

Bike
    1993, Honda RVF400
    Blog Entries
    I've had CKT rebuild the forks on my RVF, cost $1000 , but amazing difference, I'm braking later for corners and holding alot more corner speed. Front tyre works alot better now too. Well worth the money. Robert Taylor is great to deal with as well.

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ecko_nzed View Post
    I've had CKT rebuild the forks on my RVF, cost $1000 , but amazing difference, I'm braking later for corners and holding alot more corner speed. Front tyre works alot better now too. Well worth the money. Robert Taylor is great to deal with as well.
    He gave us some advice on tuning the forks on our 57 dominator too. Clever clever dude.

Did you pull the forks and send them to ckt or take in the whole bike ?

Bike
    1993, Honda RVF400
    Blog Entries
    Did you pull the forks and send them to ckt or take in the whole bike ?
    Just sent him the forks, one of them had blown a seal due to the spring being installed upside down by someone else and scraping around in the leg causing metal filings to be everywhere. He turned it around in about 3 days.

It is a bit of money and people wonder why I would spend so much on such an old bike, but I still think they are a great bike and it was one of the performance mods I could do. I'm saving up to have the rear done as well, cos the current one is poked.

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ecko_nzed View Post
    Just sent him the forks, one of them had blown a seal due to the spring being installed upside down by someone else and scraping around in the leg causing metal filings to be everywhere. He turned it around in about 3 days.

It is a bit of money and people wonder why I would spend so much on such an old bike, but I still think they are a great bike and it was one of the performance mods I could do. I'm saving up to have the rear done as well, cos the current one is poked.
    I know the feeling, if I hit a decent dip or bump mid turn the shock bottoms sometimes..

Bike
    VFR400 NC30 "Silver Surfer"
    Yeah, mine is getting well past it in the rear, there's a squeek from one of the links each time I hit a bump too that is starting to worry me.

Thought I'd just quickly do the rear brake pads today. Quickly remembered why I hadn't done them yet...

The retaining pin plug was seized in solid, so had to take the whole caliper off which meant that I also had to fix the completely rounded off bleed screw (all done before my time)...

Ended up with an impact driver on the plug. Had a replacement bleed screw so filed flats onto it, carefully dosed the thing in WD40 for a while and then stuck the entire caliper onto a hot-plate before clamping the bleed screw in the vice and turning the caliper around it. Worked a treat but took some doing...

Bled out all the old brake fluid and replaced with new, pretty grim job on your own. Lots of gunk, really milky brown sludgey fluid. New seals etc. for rear caliper and master cylinder added to the list of bits to get along with the front master cylinder seals. Bleargh.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    my least favourite job. Ive got two front caliper rebuild kits on the way from David Silver: they were 20 quid each (say $30NZ) But they have them. I couldnt be arsed even asking the Honda shop: you want what? for a what? what is that, a dirt bike? its how old? mate, you're dreeeeeeemin'
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    ZX6R race machine, rmz250
    my least favourite job. Ive got two front caliper rebuild kits on the way from David Silver: they were 20 quid each (say $30NZ) But they have them. I couldnt be arsed even asking the Honda shop: you want what? for a what? what is that, a dirt bike? its how old? mate, you're dreeeeeeemin'
    Couldn't agree with you more! I've given up on our Honda dealers too.
    "You need what for a what!?! NC35 theres no such thing you must be thinking of NC30" Blah Blah Blah

Bloody useless

Bike
    05 iHornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by del-solider View Post
    "You need what for a what!?! NC35 theres no such thing you must be thinking of NC30" Blah Blah Blah

Bloody useless
    Malcolm at EconoHonda in TeAroha can be you friend.
    He has heaps of Honda parts and can easily source from offshore too.

Bike
    Several
    About $2700 more than I have..

Everything needs harder springs, stiffer damping in both directions. Rear ride height needs elevating. May as well just get some Ohlins forks. I'm guessing 4k ? LOL

No I didn't, sounds like a good idea though. Cartridge forks FTW. Did they put the vfr front wheel in ? I like the wheels..
    From my terrible memory and the quick glance I had It was the CBR wheel.

Makes sense too as all the brakes would be great and work without pissing around and the whole lot is probably way lighter.

You are right about VFR wheels, they do look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Warr View Post
    Malcolm at EconoHonda in TeAroha can be you friend.
    He has heaps of Honda parts and can easily source from offshore too.
    I've had nothing but good from him.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    1993, Honda RVF400
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by del-solider View Post

Bloody useless
    I usually use either Motomart in Lower Hutt, or Dave Silver Spares. I typically look up the part number I need first though and give them the part number I'm after.

Bike
    1993, Honda RVF400
    Blog Entries
    That's next on the list for me if the master cylinder kit and new lines don't fix the brakes on the RVF. Had a few "Oh Shit" moments, at a track day on the weekend, when the lever came all the way to the bar.

Thread Information