Page 64 of 249 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: VFR owners' thread, for VFRPS members and prospective members

Bike
    1993, Honda RVF400
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    http://tyga-performance.com/site/pro...roducts_id=935

is the castle nut tool. they're out of stock.

the honda one is the same, but double ended.

heres a pic, and the bag shows the part number.
    Cheers for that, DSS have one for about $70 plus freight.

The Haynes manual says you should disgard the nut and use a new one, seems a bit over the top, opinions?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    Good Man! so many people shy away from common sense these days...
    I tried that first, but failed utterly. My metalworking skills not so good, but my skill with a credit card is legendary
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by ecko_nzed View Post
    Cheers for that, DSS have one for about $70 plus freight.

The Haynes manual says you should disgard the nut and use a new one, seems a bit over the top, opinions?
    I'd probably re-use it. I re-used mine. If you're getting the tool in, add the nut as well. It will be cheap enough.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    Those?
    I used an old screwdriver and hammer on the NSR frame I have, no worries, just had to be a bit careful.
    do everyone a favour and get a small aluminium pipe (like 5~6mm OD) and crush the end flat so it fits on the bike. Screw drivers tend to ruin the part on the bike

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries

New reg/rec.

Cool beans.

Last friday I ordered a new reg/rec for the nc30 from "electrex world". $161 to my door step and only a 4 working day wait. It came from England..

Went to install the new one to find that since I had last checked, 2 of the 3 yellow terminals had fully melted and the battery isn't charging at all..

Wired up the new plug, had to put a few washers under the new rectifier, as it is larger than the oem one and doesn't sit flat in the original position.

New reg/rec has much more heat sink surface area due to longer and deeper fins.

Will check voltage when I get my hands on a multi meter again.

Internet orders FTW.
    Last edited by gatch; 23rd January 2011 at 20:38. Reason: had wrong price details on there
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Bike
    1992 Honda VFR400
    Quote Originally Posted by gatch View Post
    Cool beans.

Last friday I ordered a new reg/rec for the nc30 from "electrex world". $130 to my door step and only a 4 working day wait. It came from England..

Went to install the new one to find that since I had last checked, 2 of the 3 yellow terminals had fully melted and the battery isn't charging at all..

Wired up the new plug, had to put a few washers under the new rectifier, as it is larger than the oem one and doesn't sit flat in the original position.

New reg/rec has much more heat sink surface area due to longer and deeper fins.

Will check voltage when I get my hands on a multi meter again.

Internet orders FTW.
    Ive had the same problem as you with the reg/Rec but mine being a NC35. I decided to get the r6 one in the end as ive seen good things on 400greybike. Ordered it off ebay here in 5 days and all for $80(best price offer FTW!!).

Mine too was fully burnt in all 3 yellows wires, it took alot of work just to sperate the plug!
    Im glad its all done went for a ride straight after i fixed it, been 5 months since last on the bike and man do i LOVE those V4's!!!!!!!

Bike
    ZX6R race machine, rmz250
    Quote Originally Posted by broken View Post
    Ive had the same problem as you with the reg/Rec but mine being a NC35. I decided to get the r6 one in the end as ive seen good things on 400greybike. Ordered it off ebay here in 5 days and all for $80(best price offer FTW!!).

Mine too was fully burnt in all 3 yellows wires, it took alot of work just to sperate the plug!
    Im glad its all done went for a ride straight after i fixed it, been 5 months since last on the bike and man do i LOVE those V4's!!!!!!!
    Woah logged in on friends account lol

Bike
    1993, Honda RVF400
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by del-solider View Post
    Woah logged in on friends account lol
    so size wise is the R6 one a exact fit, after mine melted down I got an aftermarket one off trademe, but it was narrower than the original so didn't fit over both lugs.

had the same problem with the plug though, t'was absolutely stuffed, very painstaking to cut it away from the terminals, of which I ended up replacing the 3 smaller ones as they had gone soft from the heat. I take it you can't get replacement plugs?

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14
    Has anyone changed sprockets on a VFR800i before?

After ~6 months with it I've definitely gelled with this awesome bike and decided I'd like a little more down low power - I don't have a problem with losing top end. Cruising in 6th gear at 100 - 110 hangs around 4.5 - 5k RPM and wide open throttle is less than satisfactory! I absolutely am in love with this bike but I would also love some more power down low.

Are sprocket changes a good idea for the Viffer? I'm assuming a speedohealer will be essential also.

Got some Leo Vince cans coming also - it's all coming together nicely

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zeocen View Post
    Has anyone changed sprockets on a VFR800i before?
    Ah... yup.
    In fact, I've run lowered gearing on my last three bikes: one tooth smaller on the front of the '90 VFR750, '98 VTR1000, and on the '01 VFR800. The FahrtSturm was the worst - at 100 km/h in 6th, it was turning over at a lowly 2600 rpm. Given the torque wasn't really there till 3k, it was shit to ride on the open road. I suspect the previous owner was trying to make it less thirsty.
    At the last change of chain'n'sprockets, I went back to stock gearing on the VFR. Prior to that, I was running a 16T front sprocket (6% lower gearing) as most of my riding was communtering. I bought a speedo converter kit from Jaycar and hooked that up to read 12% lower (bike speedo was already 6% optimistic), then after checking with a GPS, realised my maths was wrong, and changed it to 10%. If you're OK with a soldering iron and can read instructions, the kit is very good value. Once it's together, you just cut the pink wire to the instruments, and loop it through the corrector's input circuit, with a ground to one of the green wires in the wiring loom or an earth on the frame.
    I went back to stock after 3 or 4 years because although I liked the extra punch taking off from standstill, I found on the highway I was looking for 6th when I was already in it. Plus running a smaller front sprocket means slightly more chain wear. A better (but more expensive) option is 2 or 3 extra teeth on the rear; 3 on the back is about the same as 1 down on the front.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14
    Would a PCIII be of any significance for better/linear down low torque?

I've come from bikes that were all low - mid power rather than mid - high like what I feel the VFR is, so it's always left me wanting more in the low range, especially wanting to overtake in 6th at around 100kmh. It's like pushing a whale up Mt Everest.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    So im keen on an NC30. What should i look for when buying it? I hear the rectifier goes on these. Have had a look at one that looked alright just not sure what i should be looking for.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zeocen View Post
    Would a PCIII be of any significance for better/linear down low torque?
    Hmmmmmm.....
    At best (i.e., using a map made in conjunction with a dyno), all it will do is slightly reduce some of the designed-in dip in the torque curve (put there for emissions testing). As far as I know, the only thing that would give you significantly more torque (and a healthy dollop of HP) is the A&A supercharger kit. Got a spare US$5k lying around?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    so size wise is the R6 one a exact fit, after mine melted down I got an aftermarket one off trademe, but it was narrower than the original so didn't fit over both lugs.

had the same problem with the plug though, t'was absolutely stuffed, very painstaking to cut it away from the terminals, of which I ended up replacing the 3 smaller ones as they had gone soft from the heat. I take it you can't get replacement plugs?
    I don't know anything about the R6 ones, but this is the one I got http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/rr58-...ier-779-0.html it cost $161 including shipping to my door. It fits the standard plug, they also supply a new plug and all the appropriate terminals to wire it up. If you just wanted a new plug you could probably email them and ask about it ?

Quote Originally Posted by sil3ntwar View Post
    So im keen on an NC30. What should i look for when buying it? I hear the rectifier goes on these. Have had a look at one that looked alright just not sure what i should be looking for.
    Yes the reg/rec goes on them as it doesn't get a lot of ventilation and is a tiny unit to start with. Also my fuel tap has started leaking, though it's not surprising considering it's 20yrs old. Don't be alarmed from the "whining" noise coming from the heads, the cams are gear driven.. All the usual stuff you would check when buying an old bike, service history (important), if you can get the swing arm/rear wheel bearings checked for play, keep in mind the rear wheel is an 18".

Otherwise, enjoy, I love mine..
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Bike
    ZX6R race machine, rmz250

Size wise the R6 unit is a tad bigger and doesnt fit on the standard lugs. i just drilled them out and put new bolts in and works fine. for the price you can get them for on ebay they cant be beaten really, most of the guys in the UK use r6 as the much better than the standard ones(which as we all know are Crap!)

Thread Information