Page 234 of 249 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 3725

Thread: VFR owners' thread, for VFRPS members and prospective members

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Askor View Post
    Not so much 'access to a lathe' as 'I have an engineering student friend who works for food'
    Aren't you supposed to be having a rib cut out or something.

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Ahhh, he has caught a wild one early, treat it right and he could have a lifelong tame engineer companion...
    Yes I am taming him with food and companionship: the carrot and stick method. He first approached me as wild youth, knee down around the outside of me on the Ruapuna B track on a borrowed FXR150. I had to teach him a lesson so I simply twisted the throttle and showed him the VFR power (Stick). When we spend hours in the shed working on my NC30 I throw food at him to show him that he has been a good boy (carrot). Overall I think i am making good progress: since meeting me he no longer drinks, he owns his own FXR150 and 3/4 of a NC30. He is also about to lose some weight to get faster on the track, but I do think cutting out part of your rib is very extreme, it shows his dedication to the "life".

Bike
    wr450f
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    Aren't you supposed to be having a rib cut out or something.

Yes I am taming him with food and companionship: the carrot and stick method. He first approached me as wild youth, knee down around the outside of me on the Ruapuna B track on a borrowed FXR150. I had to teach him a lesson so I simply twisted the throttle and showed him the VFR power (Stick). When we spend hours in the shed working on my NC30 I throw food at him to show him that he has been a good boy (carrot). Overall I think i am making good progress: since meeting me he no longer drinks, he owns his own FXR150 and 3/4 of a NC30. He is also about to lose some weight to get faster on the track, but I do think cutting out part of your rib is very extreme, it shows his dedication to the "life".
    Brilliantly written

And it's not a whole rib, it's only part of it tomorrow morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    which brings me back to point Z. - use premium fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    And the right plugs. And condoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    never really believed in em. which i suppose is why my bike runs rough and i have kids.

Bike
    vfr400 NC30, SRX600 project
    Lol. Aside from the amusing comments...recommend cartridge emulators on the 89 forks, gatch did a good job of the 89' ones on the bike I got from him, were miles better than the old 91 cartridge forks before I up rated them. Maybe had the valves done too? all is avail from rick oliver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Anyone got some spare pilot jets? Two are blocked and don't want to be unblocked. Soaking them overnight in carb cleaner but don't have much hope for them.

Bike
    Compressed air or a fine bit of copper wire (ie a strand from a twist of audio wire that's at least a couple inches long, and a bit of patience :-). I've had the same problems (but am now the owner of an air compressor lol).

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Icemaestro View Post
    Compressed air or a fine bit of copper wire (ie a strand from a twist of audio wire that's at least a couple inches long, and a bit of patience :-). I've had the same problems (but am now the owner of an air compressor lol).

Be real careful with wire though, if you scratch the jet it can give you no end of shit tracking it down at a later date. Not happened to me, but you pick up stories...

Also, Bros 400 project? Resto or mod?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Yeah if you get just one little filament of the copper wire it bends pretty easily so figure it shouldn't damage the jet. Bros400 is gone already :-) resto project. On to a Yama srx600 now that the carbs are giving me grief on! Temporarily interrupted by a trip to Europe (where I am now :-))

Bike
    2006 VFR 800

Vfr!

Heya

Sold my VTR 250, owned a GSX 400X Impulse before that and prior to the Suzuki had a Honda CBR250R

Planning on picking up an '06 VFR 800 in a couple of weeks with 50'000km on the clock dolled up in 'Winning Red' or whatever the paint scheme is called. Any big points I need to take note of before handing over money for the VFR? I know to listen for cam-chain tensioner, test steering head bearings, chain & sprockets etc.

Bike
    Late reply sorry, I don't know of any weak spots, google common probs? Rr?

Bike
    2006 VFR 800
    Cheers! Ended up buying the bike, tested the battery with the bike off and again with the bike idling to check voltage increase and make sure the RR was working... Which it appeared to be! Did the usual steering head bearings, break pads, check fork seals etc.

I'm now the proud owner of an '06 VFR 800!

Bike
    05 Bandit 1200, 08 YZF250, 07 RMZ450
    Making slow progress with my old nc30. Fork seals and stantions sorted, new r/rectifier new battery. Managed to get it started then got busy with work again for a month or two....came back and realised now that I have no lights!?
    Any common faults like the r/rectifier one that may explain this? Or do I start tracing wires and shit for all of eternity?

Bike
    No lights...does the bike start and run? is the battery charging? are the lights turned on at the switch (sorry, worth asking!) have the bulbs blown? what bulbs are fitted (wattage, as sometimes people put h4 bulbs in without putting a low voltage relay in, which then melts the switchgear, resulting in the lights not working), are the rear lights on? (as they should come on with the fronts), are the parking lights on? (a little bulb at the bottom of each light, is the first click on the LH switchgear).

the RR is a weak spot, and poorly maintained or old batteries can assist with it's demise.

Let us know re above. I've had many a head scratcher with these bikes.

Bike

Smile

Thanks for the suggestions. The bike doesn't start at the moment but I did manage to get it started a couple of months ago once I fitted the new battery and rectifier. After that it went back to its corner of the garage waiting until now.

The neutral light comes on when the key is turned and the starter motor kicks over but I suspect fuel line/ ignition/issues over actual electrical issues, as it almost fires up but just won't quite catch. No other lights at all work. Front, rear, brake, indicators, nothing at all.
    I probably shouldn't be trying to start it up at this point anyway as I haven't changed the old fluids or filters yet or even swapped in the new plugs. so I'll get on to that before trying again.
    The old owner assures me the lights and everything else (bar the old charging problem) worked when he parked it up - over 3 years ago - so bit lost tbh.

I've checked the obvious fuses and bulbs all seem to be fine (I'll go over them all again once this colds out of my head).

Looks like I'm just gonna have to trace wires once I get the rest of this shit sorted. Was just hoping that maybe there was another common known fault causing the problem. But that would have been too lucky for my track record with all things motorised. Not moaning though, I got something to fill my winter doing. Now where's that fibreglass resin hiding.....

Bike
    Gotcha. Well if you have checked fuses, then yes, next is wiring, as if it is turning over then you have power :-) and lights don't need the cdi to work. I'm not sure if you need the lh switchgear. - quite possibly, that's what I would check first. Do a bit of a google bypassing it, maybe check 400gb as I'm sure it would have happened to someone somewhere before.

Bike
    Thank you Ice. I'll have a look at that while keeping my fingers crossed.

Might wait until I have my towbar back and take it to my workshop before pulling anymore plastics off. I envisage panels and wires spread everywhere once this gets project really gets started.

Thread Information