Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAAAGGGHHH MY CLUTCH! Life sucks

Bike
    Kawasaki en 450 LTD

AAAAGGGHHH MY CLUTCH! Life sucks

WEll, I thought I'd go and do some more kms on my new tyres to wear them in,seeing as the weather is ok for the first time in weeks and noticed my clutch was starting to slip in higher gears going up hills, knowing what I do about vehicles, this does not thrill me, I am looking at having to pull the F*&king thing apart this weekend and taking my clutch plates in to see if we can match something up for it, bloody jap imports are never straight forward, what's worse is I am assured there will be no change out of $500, That is for the parts, Pete and I will do all the fitting etc, Life truly sucks right now.
    Worst case scenario I won't be able to go on the rally in october, due to costs incurred in fixing the damned thing, please feel sorry for me

Bike
    1997 Ducati 600 Supersport
    :disapint: :disapint: :disapint:
    Hope it works out better than $500 for you

Bike
    All bikes!
    PM White Trash the chasis number of your bike, toads. He'll look for some acc plates at a sharp deal for ya.

Be good for him to finally do some work!
    The biggest bike house in Wellington

Bike
    Riffer

clutch pack

i did ten fibre plates and ten steel plates plus heavy duty pressure plate springs on my TL1000 for around $300. this fixed it after the same problems you are complaining about.

Bike
    Kawasaki en 450 LTD
    Hi there, Pete, has pulled the clutch apart and seems to think that it was assembled wrongly, we will find out tomorrow as soon as I have got it back together etc, I seriously hope that he is correct and so on, can't shell out $500 no matter what, so I'll let you know, he seems to think someone put the pressure plate on 180 degree's out from where it should have been, leaving a big gap between the housing and the clutch plates, I am doubtful of this diagnosis, but then I was only watching, and as I say tomorrow will tell.

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    He may be right,there are a couple of dots,one on the pressure plate, one on the housing that have to line up.It's very common for people not to realise this and put em' togeather wrong,it's very easy to do.I won't tell you how I know this but you can probably guess.
    At your bikes age it's also very possible your springs have just got a bit hot and lost tension,replace em' with stronger ones,change the oil and that could be all you need to do.Often a higher grade of oil alone can make a big difference.On the older jap bikes the plates them selfs are often the last thing that goes.
    Good luck.

Bike
    Kawasaki en 450 LTD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrat
    He may be right,there are a couple of dots,one on the pressure plate, one on the housing that have to line up.It's very common for people not to realise this and put em' togeather wrong,it's very easy to do.I won't tell you how I know this but you can probably guess.
    At your bikes age it's also very possible your springs have just got a bit hot and lost tension,replace em' with stronger ones,change the oil and that could be all you need to do.Often a higher grade of oil alone can make a big difference.On the older jap bikes the plates them selfs are often the last thing that goes.
    Good luck.
    cheers Jackrat, you make a heap of sense

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    Good luck Toads, let us know how you get on. Hope it's easily (and cheaply) fixed.

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    Kawasaki en 450 LTD
    Hi well here's the update, Pete pulled everything to bits as I may have said earlier, and reassembled the clutch correctly, he says someone had failed align the housing the right way and it had way too much clearance, he also put another clutch cable on (off some heap of crap out the back), and I've just been for a thrash and it didn't show any inclination of slipping again, but my stupid intermittent electrical fault seems to have made a brief appearance, seeing as this bike seems to have a daily nasty surprise for me I gave it heaps, and waited to see if it would play up but it seems all good, I didn't ride like a nana, Zed would have been impressed!!, I certainly disturbed some peoples quiet saturday afternoon anyway ( it's bloody loud), and I feel good now that I've had a good ride for the first time in ages!!, the weather here has been top rate today.

Bike
    Your Face
    Ah stink
    The world will look up and shout "Save Us!", and I'll whisper "no"

Bike
    Honda PC800
    ohh eyyy toad lass--- Im almost 100% certain your motor is a z400 motor so acc plates will be chap as chips anyhoo
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by toads
    Hi well here's the update, Pete pulled everything to bits as I may have said earlier, and reassembled the clutch correctly, he says someone had failed align the housing the right way and it had way too much clearance, he also put another clutch cable on (off some heap of crap out the back), and I've just been for a thrash and it didn't show any inclination of slipping again, but my stupid intermittent electrical fault seems to have made a brief appearance, seeing as this bike seems to have a daily nasty surprise for me I gave it heaps, and waited to see if it would play up but it seems all good, I didn't ride like a nana, Zed would have been impressed!!, I certainly disturbed some peoples quiet saturday afternoon anyway ( it's bloody loud), and I feel good now that I've had a good ride for the first time in ages!!, the weather here has been top rate today.
    Good news - I thought we were gonna miss our main DJ for Tokaanu.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    Riffer

under the seat

Quote Originally Posted by toads
    but my stupid intermittent electrical fault seems to have made a brief appearance, seeing as this bike seems to have a daily nasty surprise for me I gave it heaps, and waited to see if it would play up but it seems all good, .
    hey toads when the fault appears does the screen go blank as well ie no power at all. if this is the case check under the seat. i had exactly the same problem on my old Tiller the main power wire must have been rubbing and every now and then wala no power. to check it lift the seat and youll see a plug. with the key on wiggle those wires and see if your power cuts. if it does wala theres your problem.

do this as soon as you can because lets say your doin 120 round a corner hit a bump and the power cuts, whats next, you guess right engine stalls back wheel locks up and throws you down the road. nasty good luck.

Bike
    Kawasaki en 450 LTD
    Quote Originally Posted by scroter
    hey toads when the fault appears does the screen go blank as well ie no power at all. if this is the case check under the seat. i had exactly the same problem on my old Tiller the main power wire must have been rubbing and every now and then wala no power. to check it lift the seat and youll see a plug. with the key on wiggle those wires and see if your power cuts. if it does wala theres your problem.

do this as soon as you can because lets say your doin 120 round a corner hit a bump and the power cuts, whats next, you guess right engine stalls back wheel locks up and throws you down the road. nasty good luck.
    Hi scroter ( sorry mate that is a shocking user name :confused2 ), I don't have any electrically operated led's that show when the bike is in motion, eg oil,neutral etc, so I can't check via a gauge, the light gauge only shows up when on high beam and it's next to impossible to see in daylight too, so sadly I can't check whether it's a complete electrical outage, it only happens every now and again, but it's scary when it happens, I have checked all the fuses, switches and connectors all over the bike, it has electronic ignition and it really has me stumped, we ( Pete and I) have never had it play up consistently for us to be able to diagnose the problem, there is nothing, eg movement on the seat or turning the front wheel that seems to precipitate it playing up, the only thing I think it might be related to is condensation somewhere, ie the bike gets hot after a nice ride somewhere and cools down real fast due to the freezing air temperature at the moment, and then stops playing up once it has warmed up sufficiently to dry up the condensation, who knows, it is a damned nuisance though.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I once had a similar problem on a CB750 Honda - power would cut for no apparent reason and then come back, just as mysteriously. Turned out to be a bad wire in the loom at the steering head. ( nearly all the wiring connectors were in the headlight shell, so nearly every wire ended up there) The wiring flexed with turning the handlebars and sometimes would fail.

With the bike on the stand, try flexing the wiring loom with the motor running, wriggle connectors, tap electric boxes (gently), see if you can make it fail.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information