2002 KTM 640 Adventure

Nice stuff

Brave man kipping out there at night...
    Nice stuff!

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    I'd need a ladder for getting in and out of it though
    Once I get in I think my butt is under 0.5m from the ground, best not to sleep suspended from any higher you would be OK to fall from!

I'm glad my hammock has a bug net, would have been eaten alive over night by mozzies otherwise!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by Waihou Thumper View Post
    Brave man kipping out there at night...
    Nice stuff!
    Yeah theres some randy pig hunting hillbillies around there who would like a bit of bike seat hardened arse lol.

Just as well it was 0.5 off the ground lol.

Bike
    F800GS
    ...and you'd fall out of it I bet... Injure yourself once more....
    That's exactly what I was thinking... some people don't have a good track record

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

I'm going to get a new Mitas E07 front and an E07 rear too.
    E07 front ? Personaly I prefer something with knobs at the pointy end, like an E09/E10 or similar, and an E07 rear.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    E07 front ? Personaly I prefer something with knobs at the pointy end, like an E09/E10 or similar, and an E07 rear.
    My Current front is an E07 and it has been doing well, though I have a Kenda I might put on for some proper off-road riding mid february.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Been doing some riding, now need to replace both front & rear tyres!

Went to the middle:

Then went to a campsite (not very close by, heaps of gravel riding got done):

I'm enjoying my new hammock & tarp:

The DR is looking pretty good as my main camping vehicle:

I'm going to get a new Mitas E07 front and an E07 rear too.
    Nice cruisy ride that: http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/g...-north-island/

You can get Mitas tyres here: http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/p...y/mitas-tyres/
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

DR650 and Safari fuel tank

Hi guys....
    I swapped to one of these and it was a bitch to install! The brace at the front got me swearing a tad to make it fit evenly and successfully do up the bolts.
    Anyway, I have been having issues starting the bike and at first I thought it was an air bubble or similar.
    I then though maybe I was on reserve and then of course realised that these tanks don't have a reserve right?
    So, this morning went to start it and flattened the battery in the process.
    I looked inside and saw both tubes free of fuel which meant effectively I had run out.
    Looking at the side of the tanks there is still 50-75 mm there, that's my reserve I guess
    When riding the bike, the slosh effect will still keep me going right? Tomorrow then, off to the gas station and buy some fuel, top her up and hopefully I get going again.
    All this time I thought there was an issue with the carb, the hoses, the air blockages when in-fact I had just run out of gas!
    So much for a 35 litre Safari tank, I cannot even monitor the fuel range from my garage...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I cannot even monitor the fuel range from my garage...
    Sometimes the most obvious solution is to start at the beginning, but we often try to think too hard and can't see it.

How many times have you had a electrical appliance which doesn't go and nothing you do will make it start, then you find someone around the corner has turned it off or replaced your power cable with theirs.

In these cases I bugger off and do something else come back to it and theres the problem right in front of me.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2009 KTM990

Hi guys....
    I swapped to one of these and it was a bitch to install! The brace at the front got me swearing a tad to make it fit evenly and successfully do up the bolts.
    Anyway, I have been having issues starting the bike and at first I thought it was an air bubble or similar.
    I then though maybe I was on reserve and then of course realised that these tanks don't have a reserve right?
    So, this morning went to start it and flattened the battery in the process.
    I looked inside and saw both tubes free of fuel which meant effectively I had run out.
    Looking at the side of the tanks there is still 50-75 mm there, that's my reserve I guess
    When riding the bike, the slosh effect will still keep me going right? Tomorrow then, off to the gas station and buy some fuel, top her up and hopefully I get going again.
    All this time I thought there was an issue with the carb, the hoses, the air blockages when in-fact I had just run out of gas!
    So much for a 35 litre Safari tank, I cannot even monitor the fuel range from my garage...
    Glad you got the prob sorted.

There is always a small amount of fuel left in my Acerbis tank when she splutters and dies.
    Fuel slosh while riding or stopping and tilting the bike over helps the gas over the hump inside the tank but
    only for little bit.

It is what it is but still a small trade off for the still 400ish km range over the stock 220ish.

Something I did after this tank mod (and with every other road bike ive had) is fill up the tank plus a 5lt tin strapped to the back zero'd the trip meter then rode it past reserve until she died.Checking the kms meter numbers to tank level as I went then used the 5lt to get home/to the servo.

This is how I know about how many kms to what level is in my tank and kms left when I hit reserve.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Dunno if it is sorted yet! Tomorrow will be the test.
    35 litres should get me into next week! no need to ride it that low, but the guys in the know with the larger Safari tanks,
    How much do you have left when the tubes are exposed, approx I mean?
    There is no reserve though, so I take it what I have left just so happens to be my reserve, tipping it over and riding a little more aggressive to slosh things around to fill the fuel lines...

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Dunno if it is sorted yet! Tomorrow will be the test.
    35 litres should get me into next week! no need to ride it that low, but the guys in the know with the larger Safari tanks,
    How much do you have left when the tubes are exposed, approx I mean?
    There is no reserve though, so I take it what I have left just so happens to be my reserve, tipping it over and riding a little more aggressive to slosh things around to fill the fuel lines...
    About 2lts on the main tube and 300mils when reserve runs out.So reserve gets me about 35kms aprox.

It looks like Safari tanks sit lower down each side of the bike hence why you may have no need/Not supplied with for a reserve circuit tap.
    The fuel may simply be lower than your carb inlet at this level and not flow anyway perhaps.

Out of interest once I removed and drained the tank after I run reserve out sitting on the sidestand in the shed and got about 300mils.

Design fault but meh.A full 20lt tank gets me over 400kms so your 35 is a beast lol.Stock carb Drs do 4.5 to 4.8lts per 100km!.

FYI if your DR carb is stock with this tank mod and your not using the vacuum circuit block off the old vacuum hole in your carb properly.
    This can cause starting and running issues also.

Good luck you will be right it takes a lot to stop a rooter dead.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post
    It looks like Safari tanks sit lower down each side of the bike hence why you may have no need/Not supplied with for a reserve circuit tap.
    The fuel may simply be lower than your carb inlet at this level and not flow anyway perhaps.
    You know, that is the first thing that jumped out at me with your reply!
    Head, pressure....There ain't any...
    With a full tank there is, and yes it does sit lower, so it is a bit like pushing it up-hill.
    I need a pump then, like I see on some conversions...(perhaps)

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post
    Good luck you will be right it takes a lot to stop a rooter dead.

Dropped 5 litres in the left lobe, some flowed over to the right. Both tap tubes were covered....
    It's alive! So, that is something to think about....
    Might get the indelible marker out and put in some litre indicators similar to what I have seen done by others...
    Now, how far will it take me once full? Hmm....

Bike
    2009 KTM990

Dropped 5 litres in the left lobe, some flowed over to the right. Both tap tubes were covered....
    It's alive! So, that is something to think about....
    Might get the indelible marker out and put in some litre indicators similar to what I have seen done by others...
    Now, how far will it take me once full? Hmm....
    The Dog Rooter lives again..

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

Bits for the bike....

I have for sale brand new never mounted....

http://adventurebikeaustralia.com.au...-engine-cases/

and a fork brace, that has been mounted in my garage but didn't want it in the end...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DR650...-/301183075886

If you want them, please slip me a PM....

Thread Information