Page 127 of 215 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 3221

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    I found the DR light to be fine and I road all hours of the night but I've seen the light Shoshoni's DR puts out with the HID and it is impressive.
    I think you'll be happy.
    Same here. The one time I thought hmmm maybe these guys are right about the light I stopped and sure enough it was covered in crud. I make a habit of wiping the headlamp with a damp rag whenever I stop. Even when its raining you get a build up of road muck quickley that robs the light power. I've done this on trucks cars and bikes and makes a difference along with clean windscreen, visor and spectacles if your wear them.
    But extra lights are always good!

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    Just a catch up on my problem with fuel range, I have since cleaned and re oiled the filter and removed the snorkle.
    The carb is stock with a 140 main jet and the bike starts and runs sweet.

yesterday I did a mixture of main highway, (100kmh max)twisty seal and shingle and the main ran out at 162 kms, I did another 6 kms on reserve to get home and decided to drain the tank to see what was left in it. I opened the petcock on the central position and got 1.5 ltrs out. I then removed the tank and shook about a cupfull out. I then refilled the tank from a big container counting in a ltre at a time and it took 11.5 ltrs to fill it from dead empty. So much for a 10 ltr main and a 3ltr reserve. Maybe it was a friday afternoon tank when it was made.

The bike came with a very nice B&B mounting plate on the back and I have fitted 2 Army ammo boxes, The larger one is an exact fit for a 5 ltre fuel container which can also be secured in place (padlocked). The smaller box is mounted on its side under a modified ventura pack frame and is a fully weather proof and lockable toolbox.
    When I learn how to post pics on here I will take some of it.
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    I always thought it was a 10+2L tank stock?

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Mine is 10 litre main and I thought 2 ltr reserve but I've never tested it.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    just rechecked the owners manual for the bike and it says 10 plus 3.
    I'm going to change the oil next even though the last owner said he had just done it.
    Had a chat with the manager of the local Suzuki dealer and he said change the oil and make sure its a 10w rating because they have had a lot of complaints from farmers about thirsty quadbikes and they have found that they all had a 15w oil in and the difference in the oil drag between a 10w and a 15w was enough to make a noticeable difference in fuel consumption so its worth a try. The 10w is also a semi synthetic where as the 15w is a mineral oil.

Bike
    2001, Kawasaki KLR650
    i was getting ~120km a tank not including reserve

have a 20l tank now, will see how far it goes.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by mylodon View Post
    i was getting ~120km a tank not including reserve

have a 20l tank now, will see how far it goes.
    I hope that's a typo, 120 km?

George gets 180-200km on the main tank.
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    2001, Kawasaki KLR650
    i think there's something funky with the jetting. not sure. haven't tried to dig into jetting yet.

i'd love to get 200km

i was getting 500km on the klr, so it's sounding like a lot of gas station stops right now.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    At that rate you're getting about 12km/l so with a 20 litre tank you're looking at about 240km.

If you check out the Fuelly link in my signature I've found that handy for tracking mileage and you can see when a change has made an improvement. On my blue DR I started at about 16km/l when I fitted my FCR carb, I'm now up to a bit over 18 and there's more to come.

I'm in Maungaraki out in the Hutt and am happy to take a look at things for you if you want.

Bike
    Im currently on 16kms/ltr doing a mix of main highway, twisty seal and shingle. Bike is stock with just the snorkle off and now running a 14t c/s sprocket which is an extra 300 rpm at 100 km/h. Still not quite sure if Im getting the full 10 ltrs from the main.
    Will take a spare 10ltrs with me one day and run the main out and see what it takes to refill.

The 14t has made it a lot easier to ride around town, much easier to make nice smooth gear changes, will tractor away from low revs without chunking, especially when standing up on the pegs on shingle, lot less clutch slippage when taking off in 1st.
    Also found overtaking on the road is now much better as I dont need to change down at say 80kmh, before the engine would get real chunky in 5th at that speed if you put some power on where as now its happy at 80km/h in 5th and just pulls hard to whatever speed you need to get past.
    Im happy to trade off a bit of fuel consumption for what is proving to be a nicer bike to ride.
    Works for me anyway.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    I'm effectively running 14/43 and get about 18-19km/l.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    On my blue DR ..... I'm now up to a bit over 18 and there's more to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waipukbiker View Post
    Im currently on 16kms/ltr doing a mix of main highway, twisty seal and shingle. Bike is stock with just the snorkle off and now running a 14t c/s sprocket which is an extra 300 rpm at 100 km/h.
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I'm effectively running 14/43 and get about 18-19km/l.
    I'm running 15/43, snorkel removed and airbox opened slightly, TL1000 exhaust.

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    I'm getting about 18.5lt/100km. She's almost a straight pipe at the moment and has plenty of other mods. It used to struggle pulling the 15 tooth front, but since the engine rebuild, has no problems.

It's making good power so I guess fuel economy is the trade off.

Ross, next time we meet up, take it for a spin.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    I'm getting about 18.5lt/100km.
    You may want to check your numbers...

Not that I don't believe you, or you're dodgy or anything, but your eyes are close together...

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by mylodon View Post
    i think there's something funky with the jetting. not sure. haven't tried to dig into jetting yet.

i'd love to get 200km

i was getting 500km on the klr, so it's sounding like a lot of gas station stops right now.
    Bring it over on Tuesday night and me some other riders. Check the Wellington Rideouts thread.

Thread Information