Page 179 of 215 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 3221

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    My braided brake line was about $80 from the local bike shop.

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    I’m chasing up some quotes at the moment. It seems it’s not always cheaper to buy online (or worth the shaging around). If the bike shop is even remotely competitive, I’d prefer to support them.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    You can prob get those parts in NZ for reasonable price, Suzuki OEM stuff usually priced ok.
    Essentially you'll only really need the O-rings and rubber boots. If the old ones aren't leaking I'd be inclined to just clean up the pistons with some metal polish, did that to GSXR once.
    ]
    While there was no obvious oil leakage, the seals have little strips of rubber coming off and small pits and grooves.There is sludge in the caliper itself, even though I’ve changed the oil a couple of times in the last 12 months. Dust is obviously getting in. The pistons seem in good condition.

The brake itself had a very ’wooden’ feel. There was no progressive feel. Towards the end it was more like a switch, on or off, with on being locked up. I’m sure it, along with a bald front tyre, contributed to my little accident a few months back.

Barts Photos

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    +1 Bart i do try & buy local but some things here are just priced ridiculously high compared to online, youshop does work selectively i shipped some ebay bits from one side of the states to the other for $6 US then used a 50% discount code they gave me as i complained when they downright ripped me off on some car parts (delivery). Some ebay sellers will happily ship inside the states freight free.

Guess if you have time and like to mess around on the tinternet you can save some $$$$

Braided hoses & seal kits should be reasonable here as the hoses are made here and seal kits are cheap enough.

In a former life i used http://www.apexautocentre.co.nz/5/home allot for brake seals old or hard to find parts, shit like caliper kits and booster overhauls, looks like they do bikes as well.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Just got a front & rear braided lines for the TTR..
    From a aussie guy that sells on Ebay...
    $32 a line + $10 shiping...
    He lists them by model & length so easy to
    get the right line if hes not listed yer model...

they look alright... not tryed them yet..

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    Just got a front & rear braided lines for the TTR..
    From a aussie guy that sells on Ebay...
    $32 a line + $10 shiping...
    He lists them by model & length so easy to
    get the right line if hes not listed yer model...

they look alright... not tryed them yet..

got a linky bro, thinkin about some for the xr

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    got a linky bro, thinkin about some for the xr

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2
    Here's a link to his Ebay store...... up to you from here....
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/krisodemus?_...p2047675.l2559
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    I know most WOF testers probably wouldnt check but do they need approval marked, i think from memory when i got one for the WR it was mentioned.

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    I know most WOF testers probably wouldnt check but do they need approval marked, i think from memory when i got one for the WR it was mentioned.
    They do bloody check in Wgtn & try to fail perfectly legal lines.... Just make sure that the fittings are crimped & that there is at least a makers mark on the fitting.
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    When I bought my Ducati 888 in from England I had to replace all the braided lines as they were crimped but didn't have any markings. Later on My R80G/S was rejected due to the front line having markings but not being crimped, and the old coot at the testing station in Seaview got very agro and almost abusive at me when I asked him to explain in plain english what swaged meant and he couldn't, turns out it's technical for crimped.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    No making's what so ever on the ones I have...
    Pete

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    Here's a link to his Ebay store...... up to you from here....
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/krisodemus?_...p2047675.l2559
    cheers Pete
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    Well I got the new front brake caliper seals. Was quoted real cheap from the local bike shop. Went to pick them up, only to find it was one set of seals, not two (twin piston caliper). They got the second set in over night and it came to under $50. I could have got the seals and spare rubber bits and new slide pin for the same money on line. I guess these are genuine Suzuki parts so probably worth it. I've had bad experiences with after market fork seals in the past, so a round bit of rubber may not always be just a round bit of rubber.

Fitting the seals was easy. No drama getting the pistons back in either. I'd bled the brakes plenty of times, but never with the hose completely empty of oil. Once I figured out that you just go like hell for a couple of minutes to chase the air bubbles down the line, that too was no problem. Polished up the slide pin with a dremil and buffing disc. Not quite like new, bit it'll do.

Went for a quick spin. The road was wet so couldn't really give it a good test, but now I've got some brake feel back. While the old girl doesn't pull up like a light weight dirt bike or twin disc sports bike, it's a hell of a lot better then it was. There's a lot more feel now. I'll still look into the braided lines when I get a chance. I might even have a go at the back brake and see if I can get that working better.

One happy camper.

Barts Photos

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Bart its easier to suck the fluid from the bleed nipple with a bleed sucker thingy or a large syringe rather than trying to pump the fluid through from the top - glad the brakes are better not that you ever used them when im trying to follow you

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    Bart its easier to suck the fluid from the bleed nipple with a bleed sucker thingy or a large syringe rather than trying to pump the fluid through from the top - glad the brakes are better not that you ever used them when im trying to follow you
    Ahhhhh. Tricks of the trade eh. If my way didn’t work I was going to invert the whole system (raise the caliper and line above the master cylinder...or tip the bike upside down...it should be used to that). Bubbles move slow in oil so it doesn’t take too much to chase them out.

Barts Photos

Thread Information