Page 182 of 215 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 3221

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by DR650gary View Post
    ...will wait to see what VTNZ do about that and the cracks in the headlight.

Cheers
    If the cracks don't run over a corner edge you should be able to stick that clear anti scratch film on the front of the light and all be good again so I heard... once... from where I can't remember.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Any crack in a lamp/lens is a fail now as water may get in and cause bulb to blow short etc... Repair not allowed, prob as its too hard to produce a standard to measure/assess that type of repair.
    High stop spoiler lamp failed, thought about pulling it apart to repair. Guy then mentioned the crack issue as above if I broke it pulling it apart (which I did in thend )
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Any crack in a lamp/lens is a fail now as water may get in and cause bulb to blow short etc... Repair not allowed, prob as its too hard to produce a standard to measure/assess that type of repair.
    High stop spoiler lamp failed, thought about pulling it apart to repair. Guy then mentioned the crack issue as above if I broke it pulling it apart (which I did in thend )
    Think he was pulling ur leg possibly for his own gain as its always been as long as its sealed and doesnt show any white light (as in rear lights) then they cant fail it (unless rules have changed recently) seen so many front lights sealed or covered which are a WOF pass.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    Think he was pulling ur leg possibly for his own gain as its always been as long as its sealed and doesnt show any white light (as in rear lights) then they cant fail it (unless rules have changed recently) seen so many front lights sealed or covered which are a WOF pass.
    It was recent (last 12 months) and the guys at Onekawa testing station pretty good (few are in classic club). He was pretty clear about it, any cracked lens is a fail.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.n...ting/headlamps

Reasons for rejection:

"Condition (Note 4)

8. A lamp is insecure, obscured, or contains moisture in the form of large droplets, runs or puddles.

9. A lens is missing, or has a hole, crack or other damage that allows moisture or dirt to enter."

Like any WOF issue all depends on the assessor and what side of bed he got out of that morning...

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    It was recent (last 12 months) and the guys at Onekawa testing station pretty good (few are in classic club). He was pretty clear about it, any cracked lens is a fail.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.n...ting/headlamps

Reasons for rejection:

"Condition (Note 4)

8. A lamp is insecure, obscured, or contains moisture in the form of large droplets, runs or puddles.

9. A lens is missing, or has a hole, crack or other damage that allows moisture or dirt to enter."

Like any WOF issue all depends on the assessor and what side of bed he got out of that morning...
    Think you been had mate nothing there that says it can't be repaired as long as it's sealed not allowing water in then shouldn't be a problem - been out of the game for nearly two years so will check with a mate in the week.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    Think you been had mate nothing there that says it can't be repaired as long as it's sealed not allowing water in then shouldn't be a problem - been out of the game for nearly two years so will check with a mate in the week.
    Not been had, merely reporting what one of the most experienced guys there said, whose given me a little leeway on things in past. And mine wasn't broken at time, discussing other changes to laws so nothing for him to gain in the pisstake games.
    Any of those tapes will eventually fail so they are not a permanent repair. I've used some of that headlamp protecter tape I had left over to protect part of mountain bike frame from cable chaff, its already peeling up at the edges from minor solvent exposure and less washes than what most peoples cars get.
    I've seen plenty of attempted repairs over the years to truck trailer lenses, they all end up failing in the end and letting water in.
    As said before will be one of those tester discretion things. A crack is a crack and I don't think they are going to sit there and argue if it lets water in or not and/or how effective/durable your repair is.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    "Condition (Note 4)

So if it's cracked but hasn't got any moisture or dirt, then it's sweet as all they can test for is the condition at that point in time?

Bike
    1986 honda vfr 750f, dr650 tardish
    Gary i had a chip/smalll hole in my vfr lens years ago and I think a novus repair guy put a film over the whole lens (not thin, it is about 3 mm thick) and it is still on there, that was in 2002. You could hit my lens with a hammer and it would break but remain entirely in place. possible option for you.........
    dont break your cake

Bike
    oh and has anyone got a tank (original or not) for a 94 650 ?
    dont break your cake

Bike
    DR650 again
    May need a bit more than a film
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light 1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	300961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	300962  

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by badlieutenant View Post
    Gary i had a chip/smalll hole in my vfr lens years ago and I think a novus repair guy put a film over the whole lens (not thin, it is about 3 mm thick) and it is still on there, that was in 2002. You could hit my lens with a hammer and it would break but remain entirely in place. possible option for you.........
    Gary.... I really think you should take that offer up :
    Is the hammer supplied or would he need his own ?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by badlieutenant View Post
    oh and has anyone got a tank (original or not) for a 94 650 ?
    Will the newer ones fit or not? Have mint k12 white tank and oem exhaust and carbie too...

Gary we've all been splitting hairs over cracks here, Jesus that's an aerial view of the grand canyon not a crack!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Gary.... I really think you should take that offer up :
    Is the hammer supplied or would he need his own ?
    to be fair anyone who hit the vfr with a hammer would have my 20oz eastwing I use everyday smashed thru their kneecaps. So yes, a hammer can be supplied.

Gary, that looks like a broken lens not a crack. :/

R650r, unfortunately the newer ones dont fit. I lent my mate a spare tank off my bike to take a look. He didn't even bother trying to hard. Apparently its considerably different :/ I may be interested in the stock muffler tho.....
    dont break your cake

Bike
    Nice upgrade for someone. fcr carb off a ktm 520, 39mm.............http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=783236476
    dont break your cake

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Got bored so weighed up the DR and other bits just out of interest. We have a fairly good set of digital bathroom scales that are giving consistant results so setup a mini weighbridge with some wood blocks in shed so all was level etc.

First up my gear:
    Helmet and boots together 4kg
    RST Jacket and Pants with beacon in pocket 5kg
    Tankbag on rear with tools and two cameras and other gear 9kg

Bike with half tank of gas rough and two half worn tyres. Acerbis tank, tool tube with tools, engine armour, bash plate, alloy rack, Zeta BB, LED spots, Procycle seat (v heavy) DG exhaust (much lighter than OEM), tankbag with tools bit no camera gear. 167.4kg

The gross weight of 167.4kg obtained after average 3-4 readings at each end as measurements fluctuated by -/+ half kg due to gas sloshing about I guess. Had corrugated cardboard to protect scales then plywood pad to spread weight evenly where feet would stand.

Front/Rear weight bias works out at 47%F 53%R at 78.1kg and 89.3kg

Thread Information