Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Harley would you hire?

Bike
    that one in my sig

Which Harley would you hire?

I'm lucky enough to be heading to San Francsisco for a work at the end of the month so figured I'd go for a burn up and down the coast. I'll have a couple of days to explore so should be fun

The tough part is deciding on a bike to hire.. I figure "when in Rome" so a Harley is an obvious choice. That is until you have to pick a model....

As a sports bike rider I have no clue so.. Which would you pick out of these options and why?:

Street Glide
    Road King
    Soft Tail
    Fat Boy
    Sportster 883 (a bit cheaper)

I'm leaning towards the Fat Boy but purely because of Terminator

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    One up or two up? If you're riding solo and just a day trip or so, I'd take the Fatboy. If you're two up and need to carry any gear, or plan on going around a corner or two, take the Road King. Better handling and comfort than the Softail.

Either way, you'll love the experience.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    GSA & WR
    +1 for what trashy says plus the road king has hard luggage and a rack for the gear

Bike
    2006, kawasaki, zx6r 636 ninja
    I personally like the softail and would take that if i was planning on doing a trip for a couple days. For a day trip I'd get the sportster 883 or the nightster as I too am a sports bike rider and find that they could be a bit of fun on the twisties around the coast.

Bike
    2012, H-D, FXDF Fat Bob
    If it's day trips I'd go with a dyna as they are better IMO than any thing you've listed and closer to a sports bike (if you can call any HD close to a sports bike)
    David
    HD Fat Bob for Stress Relief

Bike
    raptor 1000
    if you get the fatboy go for the optional shotgun holder

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Thanks guys.. Only going to be two day trips from a base in South San Fran. Figure one North over the Golden Gate and one South around the coast unless I find any hot tips on the net.

I was sold on the Fat Boy looks but you guys have got me thinking it might be handy to have the luggage.. Mainly for camera and water bottle etc. I'm also planning on doing 6-8 hour days of riding so comfort is a plus.

What do you reckon about handling the extra weight? 350kg seems like a lot. Do you notice it?

I've pretty much ruled out the Sportster because of the small gas tank. Don't really want to get caught out down the coast.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    You won't notice the weight, unless you park it nose down and have to push it backwards. Once they get going they feel relatively light.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    . .
    Not sure what the ocean currents are like in san fran but the general rule of thumb is to get the heaviest one to prevent your boat from drifting.

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    You won't notice the weight, unless you park it nose down and have to push it backwards. Once they get going they feel relatively light.
    Yeah, that really sucks. Even the sporty is heavy to push backwards up a small incline!

And good point on the tank, that is one thing that I will change on my sporty. A slightly bigger tank, I like the look of the 3.3 but the range is a bit short.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    I'll have to be careful with there I stop. My CBR is nice and light so could get caught out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wysper View Post
    And good point on the tank, that is one thing that I will change on my sporty. A slightly bigger tank, I like the look of the 3.3 but the range is a bit short.
    Yeah if I read it right it's a 6 on the Road King. Seems like a much safer bet when going off the beaten path.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Not sure what the ocean currents are like in san fran but the general rule of thumb is to get the heaviest one to prevent your boat from drifting.

Bike
    All of them
    Road King.

Fine motorcycle.

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Road king for me too, built to do the miles in comfort. I think you're in for a fabo time with any of them but the king gets my vote.
    Oh bugger

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    Depends really.....do you want it for a door stop or an indoor ornamental?
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    2012, H-D, FXDF Fat Bob
    The weight is only noticeable at slow speeds e.g.around tight turns. You get used to it pretty quickly
    David
    HD Fat Bob for Stress Relief

Thread Information