Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blind spots - or how not to follow a cage

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Contact patch has been mentioned. Yes, a bike is lighter, but has a far smaller contact patch. Unless you're riding one of the latest bikes with advanced ABS, a rider also has a more difficult time maximising braking force. A car driver simply has to ignore the vibrating peddle and mash it to the floor.

Further, while you may be able to stop quickly, consider the car behind engrossed in their mobile. You might stop short, but will they? You could well end up the meat in a sandwich.

You're best to use the manoeuvrability of the bike to gain good forward observation, slow down early for issues ahead and thereby manage the speed of the traffic following you, give them time to pay attention etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    I've seen emergency braking demonstrations of bikes stopping with and without ABS and none could match a car with ABS.

This video adds that the rider's skill comes into play as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/itsafinelin...type=2&theater

Of course anecdotes are just as valid as proper studies.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I don't like follow close behind anything due to the risk of getting stone chips.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I don't like follow close behind anything due to the risk of getting stone chips.
    It's Ghost chips that worry me most.

I think that to a degree folk are missing the point here. Following distance is not just about being able to stop more quickly.

Following distance is about visibility. Hiding yourself behind a vehicle because you fancy your chances of out braking the driver both makes you harder for others to see, and reduces your forward visibility.

Do a cost/benefit analysis of following too close. No benefits, plenty of costs.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    A safe following distance gap will soon be filled by another vehicle,especially on the Auckland Motorway system (without indicating I might add),drop back to create a new safe gap and that will be taken quicker than shit off a shovel.Eventually I guess you will reach your destination.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    A safe following distance gap will soon be filled by another vehicle,especially on the Auckland Motorway system (without indicating I might add),drop back to create a new safe gap and that will be taken quicker than shit off a shovel.Eventually I guess you will reach your destination.
    Thats the justification most folk pull out for following too closely. I still cant see why you would sacrifice safety for the extra 3 seconds you gain by not simply allowing someone in and just giving them distance too.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    No I didn't watch the video nor read most of your rant. I have done advanced learning skills on the track and know how fast my bike will stop. That has no influence on other vehicles. If you have to emergency brake it is most likely you have failed in another skill first. No wonder the motorcycle fatality rate is climbing. Good luck with your learning.
    In other words you were just being a troll. Thank you for that.

I am sure you therefore don't care that I have survived just fine riding around Auckland with some of most useless drivers around and got my restricted license just fine with zero mistakes.

Back to the original thread - The best place to be from what I've been told and seen is on the left hand side of the right hand wheel of the cage you are following and at a safe distance.

Back to my original rant - Pretend you haven't been seen even if you make eye contact with the driver, know you bike and know your limits or skill level. Try to be ready for the worst, like that driver that changes two lanes at one time without indicating or checking their blind-spot into the lane you were in.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Hope you can brake quicker than you responded to that.

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Do a cost/benefit analysis of following too close. No benefits, plenty of costs.
    Ahhh, but how close is too close? how fast is too fast for the conditions? and just how long is this piece of string?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystone View Post
    and just how long is this piece of string?
    depends on the brand of tampon.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystone View Post
    Ahhh, but how close is too close? how fast is too fast for the conditions? and just how long is this piece of string?
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Either way you're lighting the fuse on an unhappy outcome...

The question that has to go along with following distance (or positioning for that matter) is why am I here? Is there a benefit to being up close (or positioned where I am) and if you can't answer that, well it's time for a re-think

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphro_Ant View Post

I am sure you therefore don't care that I have survived just fine riding around Auckland with some of most useless drivers around and got my restricted license just fine with zero mistakes.

Back to the original thread - The best place to be from what I've been told and seen is on the left hand side of the right hand wheel of the cage you are following and at a safe distance.

Back to my original rant - Pretend you haven't been seen even if you make eye contact with the driver, know you bike and know your limits or skill level. Try to be ready for the worst, like that driver that changes two lanes at one time without indicating or checking their blind-spot into the lane you were in.
    In 13 months you got your restricted, well done you, I got my rideforever Gold badge, I take it out of the China cabinet every Saturday morning and polish it with brasso, and spit, then ride how I want.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphro_Ant View Post

Not a troll kid. A license and a certificate from a riding school ... is just proof you were a good boy (or girl) on the day.

Not all learner riders die in their first year of riding. Usually it's within the first year of getting their full ... when they deem themselves to be knowing all there is to know about riding motorcycles.

Don't believe everything you've been told. Not all cage pilots look in the same mirrors ... not all even look at all. They may even see you ... but pay you no regard whatsoever in their actions. Do not expect them to either. The only safe place is in bed ... and people die there too ...

If you have just got your restricted ... I doubt if you actually know what your limits are ... probably a lot less than you think.

And ... there's plenty of "those" drivers/riders about ... don't be one of them ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Or what your line of thinking is ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Not all learner riders die in their first year of riding. Usually it's within the first year of getting their full ... when they deem themselves to be knowing all there is to know about riding motorcycles.
    I've had my full license for over 30 years, and despite some shiny certificates/diplomas/badges, I'll freely admit to learning all the time. Must be that open mind thing...

Am I at risk of running over a dog now? Or can I just leave my fate to lady luck?

Thread Information