Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Failed WOF

Bike
    Nothing, broke it, no $$ for a new one

Question Failed WOF

Is this right.....it didn't sound right given that Dave's bike passed last time around....

The VTNZ in Upper Hutt failed Dave's bike this morning cos there's no knobble on the end of his clutch lever.

Thing is, it passed 6 months ago, and 6 months before that...and so on...with the same clutch lever (at the same VTNZ). The guy said the rules changed AAAAGES ago, so it's not something that's changed between this WOF and the previous one.

It's not a biggie, but I just wanted others' opinions and to know if anyone else has ever come up against this before?

And what do you do if their advice is wrong and they're failing the bike on something that's bollocks? What's the come-back?

As always, looking to learn something new
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Bike
    kwaka ZX6 07 kxf250 07
    Blog Entries
    in oz if you dont have the nipple on the end of a lever so not sure o the rules here i reakon try anouther vtnz
    if everything seems to be going well you obviously dont know whats going on

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Could be right. That 'knobble' is designed to prevent brake/clutch levers from becoming stabbing implements in the event of an off. Just replace it as a matter of safety.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Could be right. That 'knobble' is designed to prevent brake/clutch levers from becoming stabbing implements in the event of an off. Just replace it as a matter of safety.
    Yeah, that's what the guy said. I just didn't understand how it's passed all the other times with the same knobble absence! LOL

Just lucky I guess.

*sigh* MORE bits to buy! I wish we had the money to upgrade him rather than only being able to afford to patch up the bike he's got!

Bike
    your mum
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judecatmad View Post
    Is this right.....it didn't sound right given that Dave's bike passed last time around....

The VTNZ in Upper Hutt failed Dave's bike this morning cos there's no knobble on the end of his clutch lever.

Thing is, it passed 6 months ago, and 6 months before that...and so on...with the same clutch lever (at the same VTNZ). The guy said the rules changed AAAAGES ago, so it's not something that's changed between this WOF and the previous one.

It's not a biggie, but I just wanted others' opinions and to know if anyone else has ever come up against this before?

And what do you do if their advice is wrong and they're failing the bike on something that's bollocks? What's the come-back?

just get a new bike then

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    U probably came across a guy that did his job properly?

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    U probably came across a guy that did his job properly?
    Probably. If it's such a safety hazard (which I can understand their point about it being so, had never occurred to either of us previously), it's a bit of a worry that only one guy in the last 18 months did his job properly.

Ah well, we've only got to limp along with the wreck of a ginny until after I'm back at work next year. Then there will be spare money for new toys

Bike
    Goose
    Yep, when I bought my KR from motorad the knob was missing on the end of the clutch lever and they advised me that they would have to replace it or it would fail its WOF....
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    RF900 /cbr1100xx/GAS GAS 250
    the knob on the end is not just there to stop your hand slipping off!
    if you crash the raw broken metal will cut you up and go right through your arm or leg or what ever.
    it is in the WOF rules
    its Crazy Big Al but if your have lesbian fantasies you can read it crazy bi gal if you like!

splash out and spend the $20 to get a new one.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow They are right.

Quote Originally Posted by judecatmad View Post

Not all testers pick up on everything. I had the same thing when I was a teenager and I was told that in an accident the end of the lever could do some damage (yea so, as would most other things...) if it was to impale you. I did not argue nor get upset, just went around to the local bike wrecker, put on another one and got the WOF. There are alot of strange rules governing WOF issue for motor vehicles. One older fellow at the place I allways goto said its up to the tester. He said that he preferred to utilise common sense, but not all his collegues worked on the same principle. I have also in the past taken a cage for its WOF, just to have all the stickers on the windows removed as it was "a requirement". However that staff member apparently was well known for doing that sort of stupid thing and had "moved on" by the time the cage was next due. The stickers I replaced the ones that was removed was never an issue again, go figure. Personally I think its a case of finding a WOF station that does not have staff working there with attitudes, or whatever you want to call it. As for the lever with the end piece missing, I tend to agree with that.
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    splash out and spend the $20 to get a new one.
    LOL, like I said, it's not a biggie. I know they're not expensive.

Just couldn't understand why it had passed all its WOFs prior, is all....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by inlinefour View Post
    Not all testers pick up on everything. I had the same thing when I was a teenager and I was told that in an accident the end of the lever could do some damage (yea so, as would most other things...) if it was to impale you. I did not argue nor get upset, just went around to the local bike wrecker, put on another one and got the WOF. There are alot of strange rules governing WOF issue for motor vehicles. One older fellow at the place I allways goto said its up to the tester. He said that he preferred to utilise common sense, but not all his collegues worked on the same principle. I have also in the past taken a cage for its WOF, just to have all the stickers on the windows removed as it was "a requirement". However that staff member apparently was well known for doing that sort of stupid thing and had "moved on" by the time the cage was next due. The stickers I replaced the ones that was removed was never an issue again, go figure. Personally I think its a case of finding a WOF station that does not have staff working there with attitudes, or whatever you want to call it. As for the lever with the end piece missing, I tend to agree with that.
    With cars, I could understand not picking up on everything - there's a lot of stuff you could miss. But bikes aren't exactly overly complex, and especially not a ginny...LOL.

I guess I'm of the 'if there's a list of requirements, then go through the list until you get to the end' mentality. WOFs really should be a standard thing - if it fails here, it fails everywhere, if it passes here, it passes everywhere.

I'm not cross, I guess I just struggle to understand how the same place can both pass and fail the bike on the same item when nothing's changed. It seems somewhat less than 'standard' that you're at the whim of the tester on any particular day, rather than being subject to the same list of absolutes.

I'm very 'black and white' - there are no shades of grey in my life, LOL. Dave and I have rather long 'discussions' about speed limits every time we go on a road trip!

Guess it comes from being a Policeman's daughter. It's either right or wrong, it either passes or fails.....and if it passed last time then, damn you man, why is it not OK this time around?!

But yes, now that it's been pointed out to me (many times today), I can indeed see why the knobble is a good idea. I have learnt the error of my ways

Bike
    I sold it
    There is no bearing on getting a WOF based on the tester using common sense or whatever. The rules are writen by a bunch of idiots i agree but if it comes down to the crunch and a WOF is issued to a vehicle , be it a bike or a car and the vehicle didnt meet the criteria as per the rules of inspection (rules of stupidity) then its the person that actually issued that WOF as a pass that will be held responsible. If for EG a bike was issued a wof and the reason for a crash or failure can be placed to the inspectors individual "interpretation" of the rules then they are then liable to face criminal charges.
    These charges can be as serious as manslaughter so for that reason alone i will only issue a wof to a vehicle that meets the rules as written and not what i think to be acceptable. I dont have to agree with the rules as set out and normally dont.
    If a vehicle has been failed for a WOF it seems really stupid to read the posts on the likes of this and other sites that just slag the inspectors of for failing for something that has "always been like that". All i can say is there are humans involved so mistakes can be made but if a failure is called within the rules as set out by the book then just accept it and fix the bloody issue.
    If an item like the lever in this thread then it is still wrong but a slack inspector looked at it in the past who did his / her job badly but the fact remains its still a lever with specs outside the rules as set out.
    As for the rules as set out now ill give you all an insight to the level of stupidity involved.
    With a front wheel drive car a burst CV joint boot can not be a fail .
    Fine i hear some say its just a boot and wont stop the car operating safely.
    I ask what happens if a boot is burst and the grease inside is going onto the brake rotor ? .
    LTSA say thats fine , its not a fail item for a wof inspection as long as the brake reading is ok under a poxy brake test.
    All that lovely grease on the road for us motorcyclists aye !!! WTF

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Are the WOF regulations available on-line?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information