Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike thefts around UofA

Bike
    SV650

Bike thefts around UofA

Hi all, how prevalent is MC theft around uni? I'd like to hear of any personal experiences. What security measures have you taken to safeguard your bike? Is there any chance of ground anchors or similar being installed along the Symonds Street parking areas?
    Personally, I just use the built-in steering lock but then, a GN will never be stolen (right?).
    Take care,
    Dan

Bike
    2004 snow white, k1 beast
    i have a chaine lock that i use to lock my bike. eather to somthin or around my wheel and over the seat. a padlock is also a good idea. just mack sure that it would be a long job for the theaf . they wana get what they want fast. so the more locks the beter.
    also insurance is a good idea.
    Terrorist are people too.....

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    my best sugestion is find somebody in your class with a bike and lock your bikes together with a decent oxford one...noyt just a cuttable chain...60 bucks frok mt eden mc's.

but in reality they are stealing mint condition sportsbikes....

seems to be the trend ive spotted.

ie zxr400's a mint red n black one got nicked a while back, then cbr with mint tyga kit...an rsv 1000 i have seen all these bikes in the past and they were impecable condition.... and sought after bikes of high value, as far as i know it's roughly one per weelk being stolen, but last week alone was 3.

they must be sending them overseas, or have a big garage. where they are storing them all.

i think if something was put on ther news thier neighbours would put it together and they would get busted.

this is assuming just one group of people are doing it.

with the amount of people outside uni it takes balls to take a bike in daylight,

but it saying all this the zxr 400 that got stolen did not even have his steerimng lock on so was kind of asking for it.

Bike
    MC21 NSR250 SE
    It’s getting a bit hectic at the moment. There’s an RS250 with no lower fairings that I worry about getting taxed.

Most of the bikes I’ve seen have only (guessing) had a steering lock. I reckon a big deterrent would be a highly visible chain/lock, just to let them know it’ll be a bit more arduous than the bike next door.

Ground anchors would be brilliant; it’s probably the only real solution.

A lot of the passers by probably think nothing of it, it’s so brazen to just pull up next to a bike and pick it up that it almost seems normal. Kind of like the guy who picked up an LCD TV and walked out of Harvey Norman, the staff all thought he must own it because nobody would have the balls to just carry one out.

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    what if you all chipped in for a security guard???

$1 a day each or something for peace of mind?

and somebody is walking round all day keeping an eye on them.

i would do it but i'm probably too scrawny lol

Bike
    Gone
    Locks would be useless wouldn't they? As I've heard that the thieves just grab the bike, load it into a ute / truck and fuck off. This can be done even if one or both wheels are immobililzed.

Best bet is to get something that starts screaming its head off when it's touched

Bike
    MC21 NSR250 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    Best bet is to get something that starts screaming its head off when it's touched
    Yeah exactly! Or something huge that attaches your bike to the earth.

Bike
    2004 snow white, k1 beast
    y dont we just plant our bikes in the ground???
    we need a good idea something that could work.
    we can get a long steel pipe mount each end in the ground, and have bikes chaine there rear wheel round it. its gana be a bitch to move the bike anywhere without geting pepoles atention that way.

and we then jup the theafes
    Terrorist are people too.....

Bike
    '08 DR650
    im looking at possibly a small group order of these: http://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/buy_now.html
    Standard Cylone C11 Alarm. $64.99US inc. Insured First Class Shipping
    Talking Cylone C11 Alarm. $69.99US inc. Insured First Class Shipping

or
    http://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/advalrm.html
    Magic Advanced Alarm. $145.99US inc. Insured First Class Shipping

they seem to have a few more features than the steelmate's for just a few more $$
    (http://www.steel-mate.com/index1.html : The 886 was the model kneescraper here on KB had for about $75NZ i think) Disco Dan posted about the ones i have looked into

I dont really need one for the GN, but might get one for the tl....

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    In all honesty guys if they have the balls to take them in broad daylight they arnt going to give a toss about an alarm, think about the amount of foot traffic through the area and yet they still do it...

ive been keeping my eye on a white van dark tint windows with guys with fluero vests on...wrote down thier rego also, so i'm looking into that, as theres guys that go around casing houses in bright fluero vrest to look like meter readers...

keep eyes peeled.

and i say go with ground rail anchor idea

but it would have to be solid bar or they might take to it with a saw of some sort...never underestimate a thiefs determination.

Bike
    None at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    Sounds like my wife when she is in a foul mood!

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxrunner View Post
    Sounds like my wife when she is in a foul mood!

ahahahah i wuld give u rep if i ddnt have so many infractions that the site will no longer let me.

Bike
    '08 DR650
    unfortunately the bar idea would be unpractical from their point of view because they would need installing on the otherwise perfectly well sealed Gym side of the road... by engineering however, ya never know, that parking area has such a busted up seal its probably up for replacement soon... there something might be doable

Bike
    Like Dani Pedrosa's RC211V now!
    I got 2 secured parking lots in the city (can't tell you where it is) and I park my car or bike there when I am in the city. There is a guard looking after the place and I just buy a pack of beer every 6 months as a token of my appreciation. Other than that I use a disc lock, kill switch and make sure it is in 1st gear. I got HISS on my bike and insurance.

But yeah a long bar would be good like the one outside the auckland city library. Perhaps you can write it as a suggestion to the uni board or campus services etc. The alarm idea is good but I won't install one as it might drain the battery when not use for a few days.

As I said in the other thread about the Xena disc lock. they have built in alarms and cost about $100 +-.
    Don't just live to ride but ride to live.

Bike
    Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    In all honesty guys if they have the balls to take them in broad daylight they arnt going to give a toss about an alarm, think about the amount of foot traffic through the area and yet they still do it...
    Some dudes loading a bike into a truck is a lot less sus than some dudes loading a bike which is screaming it's head off into a truck.

Thread Information